Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Hand Guards

Go down 
+2
dustcloud
chkMINUS
6 posters
AuthorMessage
chkMINUS

Hand Guards Empty
PostSubject: Hand Guards   Hand Guards EmptyTue Dec 21, 2010 5:35 pm

Where do I start? It seems like there's a lot of different mounting systems and brands.

Need something sturdy for the stock bars that doesn't require me to saw anything.

Next, the guards: anything that matches the stock blue without any adverts for the brand?

Thanks.

Note: 08' WR250R
Back to top Go down
dustcloud

Hand Guards Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hand Guards   Hand Guards EmptyTue Dec 21, 2010 6:43 pm

I have been looking also. I dont want the ends that go into the end of the bars. Just something that clamps to the bars to deflect wind away from my paws. any suggestions?
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

Hand Guards Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hand Guards   Hand Guards EmptyWed Dec 22, 2010 12:02 am

Yamaha makes just hand guards with no bark busters that go with it. If you want the barkbusters and a color that matches the bike, the Zeta's fit that bill. I have yet to break or bend the ones on mine, and they've taken some pretty ugly hits.Hand Guards 61865

velvetcows

Hand Guards Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hand Guards   Hand Guards EmptyThu Dec 23, 2010 2:45 am

I had PowerMadd for a few months, they worked great for blocking the wind and they have an extension now for more wind deflection. You can also buy the ends that plug into the ends of your bars if you decided you wanted to later. I do a lot of shit that puts my bike on its side and they weren't nearly strong enough so I upgraded to Tusk D-Flex (barkbusters.)

They do say "PowerMadd" on them but its blue on black so it doesn't stand out.
check the clickys.
PowerMadd

Video with Blue PowerMadd

Another
Back to top Go down
greer

Hand Guards Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hand Guards   Hand Guards EmptyThu Dec 23, 2010 6:07 am

The Moose blue matches pretty well. "Moose" isn't highlighted so doesn't catch your eye.

Sarah
Back to top Go down
dustcloud

Hand Guards Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hand Guards   Hand Guards EmptyThu Dec 23, 2010 12:45 pm

Those are some really awesome videos velvetcows!! I am now a subscriber!! thumb
Back to top Go down
skierd

Hand Guards Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hand Guards   Hand Guards EmptyThu Dec 23, 2010 1:37 pm

I used the GYTR flag hand guards on the first bike

Hand Guards Bike1

and now have Moose mini bark busters on the current ride. I'm using mini guards because I'm also using a narrow bend bar (ProTaper SE Yamaha Mini, 28" wide). The white is now more of a yellow, thanks to mud and the shitty air we breath, changed colors over about 2 months.

Hand Guards Wolfmanendurolocal

For wind deflection, either works well enough. The full barkbuster style is better for winter riding if you're going to add elephant ears or hippo hands for extra warmth. For small branches and roost deflection, again either works well enough. If you're going to be banging off trees or dropping the bike a lot the wraparound style guards offer more protection for your hands, levers, bars, and grips. With the flag guards, get folding levers to prevent breaking off the clutch or break lever in a crash. I used the zeta ones that wheeling sells and they were fantastic. The flag guards will break pretty regularly if you are dumping the bike a lot too, but the plastics are cheap to replace at least. I've yet to even ding the barkbusters with a LOT more crashing and hard riding.
Back to top Go down
chkMINUS

Hand Guards Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hand Guards   Hand Guards EmptyThu Dec 23, 2010 2:24 pm

Thanks all.

Skierd, when you say warp around style do you mean the kind that plugs into the ends of your bars?

I think I've decided to try the Zetas. Went here. Do I need the straight or bent version? Or is it personal preference? If so, what do you recommend?

PS Could someone explain the terminology? What makes one type of guard a barkbuster and the other not?
Back to top Go down
skierd

Hand Guards Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hand Guards   Hand Guards EmptyThu Dec 23, 2010 3:51 pm

Bark busters are the kind that wrap around the bars completely and 'plugs into' the ends of the bars, correct. On lots of off-road riding, the course is routed through trees that are closer together than the bars are wide, meaning you're going to run into stuff occasionally to often. They're called bark busters because when you hit a tree, instead of your hands, levers, etc getting crushed, the bark of the tree gets busted and you keep going with fingers and components intact. That and I believe one of the original companies to make the things called them bark busters.

Either bent or straight works, comes down to personal preference. Some people like the idea of there not being a bar directly in the outside escape path for their hands in a crash, others (like me) don't care. The bent version will likely have more clearance for the stock levers, which I found to be a little long and in need of some trimming (or in my case, mud induced bending) to fit without rubbing on the guards.
Back to top Go down
chkMINUS

Hand Guards Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hand Guards   Hand Guards EmptyThu Dec 23, 2010 3:53 pm

Roger. OK last question, 7/8 or 1 1/8? (stock bars)
Back to top Go down
skierd

Hand Guards Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hand Guards   Hand Guards EmptyThu Dec 23, 2010 3:55 pm

Stock bars are 7/8".
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Hand Guards Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hand Guards   Hand Guards Empty

Back to top Go down

Hand Guards
Page 1 of 1