Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Hand gaurds

Go down 
+10
ed29
texasreb
WRoldman
BPG
Piranha
sswrx
clint
jason meacham
SheWolf
Jersey Devil
14 posters
AuthorMessage
Jersey Devil

Jersey Devil

Hand gaurds Empty
PostSubject: Hand gaurds   Hand gaurds EmptyTue Apr 06, 2010 8:59 pm

Wanting to get my hands out of the morning wind without bulky gloves and get the impact protection of the gaurds;
Any suggestions? I like the Zeta's with the l.e.d. blinkers but some wind deflection is nice.
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

Hand gaurds Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hand gaurds   Hand gaurds EmptyTue Apr 06, 2010 9:03 pm

I have those and they buffer the wind pretty good. Heated grips add to that when it gets a little nipply. Hand gaurds 61865

jason meacham

Hand gaurds Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hand gaurds   Hand gaurds EmptyTue Apr 06, 2010 10:54 pm

I've got the ACERBIS rally handgaurds. they deflect the wind pretty decent, the aluminum reinforceing offers good crash protection, and the blue is an exact match to the bike..I like them.......this was my second mod after my skidplate. Hand gaurds 945348 Hand gaurds 945348 Hand gaurds 945348 Hand gaurds 945348 Hand gaurds 945348 Hand gaurds 945348
Back to top Go down
clint

Hand gaurds Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hand gaurds   Hand gaurds EmptyTue Apr 06, 2010 11:31 pm

Handguards? I just got a set today myself. I went to the dealership this afternoon after work to pick up my license plate which finally arrived and, while I'm standing there talking to Tony, the guy who sold me the bike, I spot a pair of Acerbis bark busters behind him and decided to get them on spur of the moment.

I was considering the Zeta ones with the blinkers in them, but the police around here are already scrutinizing me everytime I go past them so I think I'll leave the stock blinkers on there a bit longer.

First time I ever installed them and HATED taking a razor knife to my throttle tube but managed to get them installed.

On a related note, my tires arrive tomorrow (Kenda 270s) as well as my Firstgear Escape pants (cost more than my tires, Hand gaurds 911463 ) and my goodies from Wheeling Cycle supply should be here soon, though I am a bit unsure of the delivery date since I phoned in the order so I have no way to look it up. :(
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

Hand gaurds Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hand gaurds   Hand gaurds EmptyTue Apr 06, 2010 11:35 pm

You can always call or even mail Forrest. He's pretty good about getting back and I'm sure he could find out for you. Hand gaurds 61865

sswrx

Hand gaurds Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hand gaurds   Hand gaurds EmptyWed Apr 07, 2010 12:17 am

Got a set of Powermadds on mine.
Back to top Go down
Piranha

Piranha

Hand gaurds Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hand gaurds   Hand gaurds EmptyWed Apr 07, 2010 2:31 am

UFO "Jumpy" are good choice. They sit and look fine.

Hand gaurds Dscn2510
Back to top Go down
BPG

BPG

Hand gaurds Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hand gaurds   Hand gaurds EmptyWed Apr 07, 2010 6:47 am

I had the Acerbis Rally Pro initially, didn't care for them. They were way too soft - even a 0 mph tipover would bend them up in a manner that they got in the way of the levers so I was constantly pulling them off and re-bending them.

Went with the Cycra Pro Bends (and got the mounting system that attaches solidly to the triple tree) - MUCH better, much more solid - in fact, I never even think about 'em!
Back to top Go down
WRoldman

WRoldman

Hand gaurds Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hand gaurds   Hand gaurds EmptyWed Apr 07, 2010 10:14 am

I went with these. http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/productDetail.do?&navType=type&brandId=294&webTypeId=191&navTitle=Handlebars-Control&webCatId=12&prodFamilyId=9547

They were selling for super cheap round X-mas. Haven't crashed them yet, but it all appears to be good quality.
Back to top Go down
texasreb

Hand gaurds Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hand gaurds   Hand gaurds EmptyWed Apr 07, 2010 10:29 am

Are there any good ones that can use the stock bars? Highway dirtbikes says I need aftermarket bars and I am not ready to change bars yet, at least until mine are bent or rusted.
Back to top Go down
clint

Hand gaurds Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hand gaurds   Hand gaurds EmptyWed Apr 07, 2010 10:33 am

texasreb wrote:
Are there any good ones that can use the stock bars? Highway dirtbikes says I need aftermarket bars and I am not ready to change bars yet, at least until mine are bent or rusted.

Well I hit my Acerbis ones with a large hammer yesterday to see if the would move and they didn't bend, and they're connected to the stock bars, so you may want to give them a go.
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

Hand gaurds Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hand gaurds   Hand gaurds EmptyWed Apr 07, 2010 10:34 am

I used the Zeta system (barkbusters AND XC flashers) on my stockers, and they fit just fine. I've got them on my Renthal's now. Taken many hits and nothing has bent, plastics have scrapes but nothing snapped.Hand gaurds 61865

ed29

Hand gaurds Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hand gaurds   Hand gaurds EmptyWed Apr 07, 2010 10:58 am

WRoldman wrote:
I went with these. http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/productDetail.do?&navType=type&brandId=294&webTypeId=191&navTitle=Handlebars-Control&webCatId=12&prodFamilyId=9547

They were selling for super cheap round X-mas. Haven't crashed them yet, but it all appears to be good quality.

I have these on my WR, and KLR, and they were on my CRF and XR when I had them. I crash tested them a few times with good results. One other nice thing about these is the large spoilers can be removed, so you can add or take away wind protection as you wish without removing the main protector.

Oh, and they come with double articulating mounts at no upcharge so they work with any bend of bar.
Back to top Go down
Hertz

Hertz

Hand gaurds Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hand gaurds   Hand gaurds EmptyWed Apr 07, 2010 11:15 am

I've got the Acerbis Rally Pros on mine and I'm decently happy with them. Yes they do bend but I would rather have to bend them back when I get home than have to try and get there without a lever. They do their job and IMO look good. I have them on some stock size Renthals now. When I go to Fat Bars I'm gonna get a set from HDB.
Back to top Go down
malibu_dan

malibu_dan

Hand gaurds Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hand gaurds   Hand gaurds EmptyWed Apr 07, 2010 12:10 pm

BPG wrote:
Went with the Cycra Pro Bends (and got the mounting system that attaches solidly to the triple tree) - MUCH better, much more solid - in fact, I never even think about 'em!

I've got the Cycra with the triple tree mounts also. Rock solid. But be aware, at least with the stock handlebars, you'll have to heat up the Cycra aluminum bars (carefully) and bend the outboard ends in to get them to mount up spiffy-like. Bench vise will help also.
Back to top Go down
Chief_Lee_Visceral

Hand gaurds Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hand gaurds   Hand gaurds EmptyWed Apr 07, 2010 12:28 pm

malibu_dan wrote:
BPG wrote:

I've got the Cycra with the triple tree mounts also. Rock solid. But be aware, at least with the stock handlebars, you'll have to heat up the Cycra aluminum bars (carefully) and bend the outboard ends in to get them to mount up spiffy-like. Bench vise will help also.

I need to do this with my Cycra as well. Got them to work okay but the throttle side is canted up and I am cockeyed like.
Back to top Go down
MeefZah

MeefZah

Hand gaurds Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hand gaurds   Hand gaurds EmptyThu Apr 08, 2010 1:10 pm

Most any guards will work with the stock bars with no trouble, or at most just minor tweaking.

The benefit to using aftermarket bars is protection from bending the bars in a biff; the handguards will hold up fine but the bar they bolt to may well tweak if it is soft steel.

I have used several guards, currently I use Tusk sold through Rocky Mountain ATV. They are easy to install and have a "hinge" type mount that means you don't have to bend the guards to fit different bars.

I bought the plain aluminum ($30) and then installed Cycra plastic brush guards ($20) to them. This requires drilling one hole in the guards, but the benefit is better hand protection at a lower cost.
Back to top Go down
Jersey Devil

Jersey Devil

Hand gaurds Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hand gaurds   Hand gaurds EmptySat Apr 10, 2010 12:29 pm

SheWolf wrote:
nipply. Hand gaurds 61865
Woo hoo!!!

Wow, ask a question and now I have a full afternoon worth of gear to compare and decide on. Thanks to everyone with their personal experiences and opinions on the handgaurds. This does help out a lot.
Back to top Go down
texasreb

Hand gaurds Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hand gaurds   Hand gaurds EmptySun Apr 18, 2010 7:10 pm

MeefZah wrote:
Most any guards will work with the stock bars with no trouble, or at most just minor tweaking.

The benefit to using aftermarket bars is protection from bending the bars in a biff; the handguards will hold up fine but the bar they bolt to may well tweak if it is soft steel.

I have used several guards, currently I use Tusk sold through Rocky Mountain ATV. They are easy to install and have a "hinge" type mount that means you don't have to bend the guards to fit different bars.

I bought the plain aluminum ($30) and then installed Cycra plastic brush guards ($20) to them. This requires drilling one hole in the guards, but the benefit is better hand protection at a lower cost.

Your right. I got the tusk guards and cycra plastic covers and they look great. Thanks for the advise.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Hand gaurds Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hand gaurds   Hand gaurds Empty

Back to top Go down

Hand gaurds
Page 1 of 1