Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!
 
HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Share | 
 

 Leaking base gasket

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Yaro1996




PostSubject: Leaking base gasket   Wed May 24, 2017 8:10 pm

Athena kit 290
Leaking base gasket on third rebuild because of that. Gasket either leaks slowly or blows out.
Back to top Go down
Bick66




PostSubject: Compound on the base gasket   Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:35 am

Yaro1996 wrote:
Athena kit 290
Leaking base gasket on third rebuild because of that. Gasket either leaks slowly or blows out.

Can you use a gasket compound on the base gasket? I'm wondering if this could plug an oil supply line. I'm wondering because as I was reassembling my bike I realized I put compound on the base gasket. Although I did it sparingly I am afraid of reliability and I haven't completed the assembly. I'm afraid taking it apart will drop flakes into inaccessible areas.
Back to top Go down
johnkol




PostSubject: Re: Leaking base gasket   Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:42 pm

OP came to this site in May of 2017, posted the same question to two different forums, and then disappeared; do not expect a reply from him.

Bick66 wrote:
I'm wondering because as I was reassembling my bike I realized I put compound on the base gasket.  Although I did it sparingly I am afraid of reliability and I haven't completed the assembly.

What do you mean by "gasket compound"? You mean RTV, or Yamabond?
Back to top Go down
Bick66




PostSubject: Re: Leaking base gasket   Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:06 am

johnkol wrote:
OP came to this site in May of 2017, posted the same question to two different forums, and then disappeared; do not expect a reply from him.

Bick66 wrote:
I'm wondering because as I was reassembling my bike I realized I put compound on the base gasket.  Although I did it sparingly I am afraid of reliability and I haven't completed the assembly.

What do you mean by "gasket compound"? You mean RTV, or Yamabond?

Not sure since it's been a while but likely was Yamabond. This great little bike is setting waiting for me to get it together so I need to decide what to do. I've Enduro'ed it and rode it to the Artic Circle and it's got more to give.
Back to top Go down
johnkol




PostSubject: Re: Leaking base gasket   Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:29 pm

Bick66 wrote:
Not sure since it's been a while but likely was Yamabond.  This great little bike is setting waiting for me to get it together so I need to decide what to do.  I've Enduro'ed it and rode it to the Artic Circle and it's got more to give.

Yamabond will not flake, and neither will RTV. You shouldn't have needed to put anything more than the gasket, so if you're afraid you did not apply the compound judiciously, then simply disassemble and scrape it off.
Back to top Go down
Bick66




PostSubject: Re: Leaking base gasket   Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:20 am

johnkol wrote:
Bick66 wrote:
Not sure since it's been a while but likely was Yamabond.  This great little bike is setting waiting for me to get it together so I need to decide what to do.  I've Enduro'ed it and rode it to the Artic Circle and it's got more to give.

Yamabond will not flake, and neither will RTV. You shouldn't have needed to put anything more than the gasket, so if you're afraid you did not apply the compound judiciously, then simply disassemble and scrape it off.

I had no problem with leaks and misread the manual when I decided to apply the compound. Unless I get other info to the contrary I will let it be as is and finish it. It has not been fun getting it together especially with the cam chain and the vague timing marks. I'm not a great mechanic and just want to ride.

Thanks for the information.


Tom

Back to top Go down
paulie1960




PostSubject: Re: Leaking base gasket   Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:02 am

I dont use any sealant on base and never had a leak, you must have some kind of problem somewhere, maybe casting flaw on 290 cylinder or the dowels or o rings missing.
Back to top Go down
rsteiger

avatar


PostSubject: Re: Leaking base gasket   Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:05 am

Buddy of mine did the TR 280 kit last year and went through a couple of their base gaskets and had leaks. He finally went and purchasd the GYTR one and all is good.

Interesting take he has on the 280 kit.

He needed the head rebuilt after 16,000 miles (2008 model). The bike would not run and when he checked his valves 3 of the 4 had no clearance. So he shimmed but that only lasted a couple of thousand miles. Figured since he was going to rebuild the head he would pull the trigger on the 280 kit.

Went through a couple of base gaskets at first but now the GYTR one seems to be holding up well.

Took the bike out west (he and his wife are full time RV'ers) and while I have not talked to him directly in awhile the guys who went out there to visit say that he is not happy with the kit and part of him wishes he would have left the bike stock. His big complaint seems to be the extra vibration and the lack of punch he thought he would have gotten with the 280 kit.

I have ridden a bike with a 280 kit and felt the performance was comparable to my mostly stock bike... but there is a big caveat here. The bike I rode had stock gearing while mine was running 13/48. So just at that level there had to be some improvement with the 280 kit since the stock gearing seem to pull like mine with the 13/48.

Back to top Go down
paulie1960




PostSubject: Re: Leaking base gasket   Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:29 am

I have the 290 kit and will never go back to stock.you don't notice in the dirt but you do notice on the street.I've done a few thinks to the bars and grips to stop a lot of vibration. Next time I have to rebuild I am going to lighten piston a little more. You can run stock gearing because it give you more power right from idle.
Back to top Go down
rsteiger

avatar


PostSubject: Re: Leaking base gasket   Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:33 am

paulie1960 wrote:
I have the 290 kit and will never go back to stock.you don't notice in the dirt but you do notice on the street.I've done a few thinks to the bars and grips to stop a lot of vibration. Next time I have to rebuild I am going to lighten piston a little more. You can run stock gearing because it give you more power right from idle.

Yeah both my riding buddy and I ride in the dirt mainly and only use pavement to get to the dirt roads or trails.

That was my experience with the 280 kit as well, he was running stock gearing and it felt like my bike with 13/48 gearing.
Back to top Go down
paulie1960




PostSubject: Re: Leaking base gasket   Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:40 am

I have a yz250fx and it vibrates just a much as the 290 does on the street forget about the yzfx 6 gear is like 4th on wr
Back to top Go down
paulie1960




PostSubject: Re: Leaking base gasket   Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:48 am

When I bought the yzfx I was going to sell the wrr but I am keeping it now. Its a great trail and road bike.good handling smooth and feels planted on the trail and good on the toad to
Back to top Go down
paulie1960




PostSubject: Re: Leaking base gasket   Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:57 am

I ride my wrr with my buddy with a $30000 big harley street glide and in the city and twisty roads with 50/50 tires he can't keep up with me
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Leaking base gasket   

Back to top Go down
 
Leaking base gasket
Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» front diff is leaking.
» football base
» Base Building
» I have oil slowly leaking out near the flywheel
» Used - Cobra HG A 1500 Base-Load Medium Magnet Mount 300W CB Antenna

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum :: General :: WRR/X General Discussion-
Jump to: