Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Question for the chain experts. . .

Go down 
+2
johnkol
Low_and_Slow
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Low_and_Slow

Question for the chain experts. . . Empty
PostSubject: Question for the chain experts. . .   Question for the chain experts. . . EmptySun Oct 01, 2017 10:26 pm

I just received a replacement chain for my WR-250R. It's a budget no-name I purchased through Amazon. The chain shows to be a 108 link 520, but it just doesn't seem to fit right. Properly adjusted, the axle position is almost as far forward as it could be, but more importantly, the links don't seem to mesh properly at the entry and exit points of the rear sprocket. Both front and rear sprockets are stock, so I'm thinking it's just a cheap-ass chain and I should return it. Am I missing something here?

Thanks!

Question for the chain experts. . . Pbucket

Question for the chain experts. . . Pbucket
Back to top Go down
johnkol

PostSubject: Re: Question for the chain experts. . .   Question for the chain experts. . . EmptyMon Oct 02, 2017 1:08 am

Low_and_Slow wrote:
The chain shows to be a 108 link 520, but it just doesn't seem to fit right.

What do you mean by "...shows to be a 520"? You seem to be describing a chain with the wrong pitch, e.g. a 420 instead of a 520, so how sure are you about the chain that you got?

BTW, the images you attached are not displaying.
Back to top Go down
Low_and_Slow

PostSubject: Re: Question for the chain experts. . .   Question for the chain experts. . . EmptyMon Oct 02, 2017 2:07 pm

Sorry the images aren't coming through. I'm on an iPad with limited bandwidth. For some reason my PhotoBucket link changes from a .jpg to a .gif. Not sure what to do about that.

Anyway, although the chain came in an unmarked plastic bag, the links are marked 520, and I counted 108 of them, so it seems like it would be the correct chain. I'm guessing it's the result of being a cheap no-name. On the bright side, the company I bought it from through Amazon is sending a return shipping label and is refunding my money. They were surprised it was shipped in an unmarked bag. Guess I'll spring for a few extra bucks and order a D.I.D.

My original chain is marked 520 V. Is that somehow different than a plain ole 520?

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Jens Eskildsen

PostSubject: Re: Question for the chain experts. . .   Question for the chain experts. . . EmptyMon Oct 02, 2017 2:26 pm

Go get a DID vx2 chain, you can get them with gold-colored sideplates if you like it ( I do)
Back to top Go down
rsteiger

rsteiger

PostSubject: Re: Question for the chain experts. . .   Question for the chain experts. . . EmptyTue Oct 03, 2017 6:14 am

Not sure where you are located and what sort of riding you do but Rocky Mountain ATV has their Primary Drive series chains which are a pretty decent value:

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/3970/2083/Primary-Drive-520-ORH-X-Ring-Chain?v=10553

$57 for a stock length WRR X-Ring chain and $64 if you want a Gold colored one.
Back to top Go down
johnkol

PostSubject: Re: Question for the chain experts. . .   Question for the chain experts. . . EmptyTue Oct 03, 2017 3:48 pm

Low_and_Slow wrote:
My original chain is marked 520 V. Is that somehow different than a plain ole 520?

No, 520 uniquely identifies the pitch as 5/8" and width as 1/4".

I second rsteiger's recommendation of Primary Drive chains from Rocky Mountain.

BTW, whenever you replace your chain, it is always wise to replace your sprockets too; again, Primary Drive ones work very well (get the steel ones, not the aluminium ones).
Back to top Go down
Low_and_Slow

PostSubject: Re: Question for the chain experts. . .   Question for the chain experts. . . EmptyTue Oct 03, 2017 10:11 pm

Thanks for reminding me about Rocky Mountain. I've bought from the before. Good folks.
Back to top Go down
Marylander

PostSubject: Re: Question for the chain experts. . .   Question for the chain experts. . . EmptyWed Oct 04, 2017 6:14 am

Low_and_Slow wrote:
Thanks for reminding me about Rocky Mountain. I've bought from the before. Good folks.

They put the tusk, lexx, primary drive "house" brands on 10% off pretty frequently (e.g., just had a 10% off that ended 9/30).
Back to top Go down
bsheet2

bsheet2

PostSubject: Re: Question for the chain experts. . .   Question for the chain experts. . . EmptySat Dec 09, 2017 10:22 am

I have had good performance with the Primary Drive chains from Rocky Mountain. Good value with those.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Question for the chain experts. . .   Question for the chain experts. . . Empty

Back to top Go down

Question for the chain experts. . .
Page 1 of 1