Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Another question on chain maintenance

Go down 
+5
taoshum
Berwyn Henderson
skierd
X-Racer
M1A Rifleman
9 posters
AuthorMessage
M1A Rifleman

Another question on chain maintenance  Empty
PostSubject: Another question on chain maintenance    Another question on chain maintenance  EmptyFri Oct 15, 2010 2:58 pm

The service manual states the chain, at a minimum, requires cleaning and lube every 300 miles, which to me seems a bit much unless caked with mud/dirt which will wear the chain/sprockets. For 2000 miles I have dutifully clean and lubed every 300, but now I question if this is needed for street riding? I figure I may stretch this to 400 to 500 miles. What are your thoughts on this?
Back to top Go down
X-Racer

X-Racer

PostSubject: Re: Another question on chain maintenance    Another question on chain maintenance  EmptyFri Oct 15, 2010 3:17 pm

M1: If I haven't been in the dirt, as you said, the chain usually isn't dirty.

I may give it a quick spray of WD and then wipe it off and then lube it if it's dry.

It appears dry before 300 miles, and so I lube it. 500 miles is probably pressing the need for lubrication IMO.

I use the WD as a salt-preventative (living by the beach) and I actually use motor oil to lube it, and spin the tire a few times, and then wipe it off. The rest spins off and I use WD again to periodically wipe the bike off in-between warm soap and water baths.

Back to top Go down
M1A Rifleman

PostSubject: Re: Another question on chain maintenance    Another question on chain maintenance  EmptyFri Oct 15, 2010 3:22 pm

X-racer, this was along my line of thinking. After 300 miles, the sticky lube, I use (Silkalene), still looks greasy, but black with dust, hair, and other crap from the road, and the sprocket has a nice black ring of lube and gunk around the teeth. I figure it will easily last 400 to 500, but will be more hairy - not sure where the hair comes from as I have no pets. scratch
Back to top Go down
X-Racer

X-Racer

PostSubject: Re: Another question on chain maintenance    Another question on chain maintenance  EmptyFri Oct 15, 2010 4:14 pm

Mine comes off my back. ...which makes it very interesting when trying to do a comb-over.

Try tucking in your shirt. Very happy
Back to top Go down
M1A Rifleman

PostSubject: Re: Another question on chain maintenance    Another question on chain maintenance  EmptyFri Oct 15, 2010 4:18 pm

X-Racer wrote:

Try tucking in your shirt. Very happy
wink nice.
Back to top Go down
skierd

PostSubject: Re: Another question on chain maintenance    Another question on chain maintenance  EmptyMon Oct 18, 2010 1:06 am

If I'm going to be primarily or only street riding for a couple weeks, I clean the chain with WD40 and go for a ride. When I get home, while the chain is warm, spray it down with Maxima chain wax. Redo it about every 500 miles.

If I suspect or know I'll be getting into dirt, I'll just WD40 it. Once to get it clean, then a second spray after wiping it down for a protective layer. It stays cleaner but needs lubing more frequently as the WD40 flings off or evaporates. Redo every 250 miles or so.

I also always WD40 after rain (after it stops anyways).
Back to top Go down
Berwyn Henderson

PostSubject: Re: Another question on chain maintenance    Another question on chain maintenance  EmptyMon Oct 18, 2010 10:41 am

The only reason to oil a o-ring chain is to save the sprockets !!! Also if chain is too tight it will get hot very quickly. Lastly, if a chain is properly aligned it will run the rear sprocket in the middle of the chain when wheel is turned in the forward direction. my two cents usa
Back to top Go down
taoshum

taoshum

PostSubject: Re: Another question on chain maintenance    Another question on chain maintenance  EmptyTue Oct 19, 2010 12:11 pm

I guess the WD40 folks know what's in that stuff. It's great for no-load lube, like the door mechanism in a car, and cleaning but under heavy loads it's unpredictable, even worse than dry. If you want lube on the chain, use sticky oring chain lube, JMHO. Lots of off road riders, especially desert riders, run 'em dry but I don't. I cannot abide metal on metal or metal against rubber while dry even though I know the lube holds dust particles in suspension. I still believe that the chain lube helps more than it hurts. Not WD40 though.

Back to top Go down
zestymac

zestymac

PostSubject: Re: Another question on chain maintenance    Another question on chain maintenance  EmptyThu Oct 21, 2010 7:33 pm

I'm with Taoshum. WD40 is a solvent. Better at removing lubrication than adding it. I prefer a "dry type" Lubricant like Maxima Chainwax or Belray Superclean that you apply to a warm chain then leave it. Chain stays nice and quiet, doesn't attract dirt and comes off easily with Simple Green...
Back to top Go down
Captain Midnight

Captain Midnight

PostSubject: Re: Another question on chain maintenance    Another question on chain maintenance  EmptyWed Oct 27, 2010 8:16 pm

taoshum wrote:
I guess the WD40 folks know what's in that stuff.

It's fish oil.
Back to top Go down
zestymac

zestymac

PostSubject: Re: Another question on chain maintenance    Another question on chain maintenance  EmptyWed Oct 27, 2010 9:09 pm

The Wiki...

WD-40's main ingredients, according to U.S. Material Safety Data Sheet information, are:

* 50%: Stoddard solvent (i.e., mineral spirits -- primarily hexane, somewhat similar to kerosene)
* 25%: Liquefied petroleum gas (presumably as a propellant; carbon dioxide is now used instead to reduce WD-40's considerable flammability)
* 15+%: Mineral oil (light lubricating oil)
* 10-%: Inert ingredients

50% Solvent...
Back to top Go down
joenuclear

joenuclear

PostSubject: Re: Another question on chain maintenance    Another question on chain maintenance  EmptyWed Oct 27, 2010 9:30 pm

Captain Midnight wrote:
taoshum wrote:
I guess the WD40 folks know what's in that stuff.

It's fish oil.

I remember when the early suspension modification shops started the rumor that Jap bikes used fish oil in their forks. There were enough gullible people to keep them afloat changing out the fork oil. wink
Back to top Go down
wristpin

PostSubject: Re: Another question on chain maintenance    Another question on chain maintenance  EmptyMon Apr 25, 2011 8:44 pm

W-D 40 stands for "water displacement- 1940", it was developed by the US government and was used by the navy to flush out the engines of ships that had been sunken or had taken on water. It's good for getting water out of electrical connections and stuff like that, but was not originally intended to be a lubricant, and it does evaporate rather quickly. A good chain cleaner, but not a good lubricant. I use chain lube spray whenever the chain looks dry.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Another question on chain maintenance    Another question on chain maintenance  Empty

Back to top Go down

Another question on chain maintenance
Page 1 of 1