Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Modifying your stock muffler steps with pics and video

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Jerry S

Modifying your stock muffler steps with pics and video  Empty
PostSubject: Modifying your stock muffler steps with pics and video    Modifying your stock muffler steps with pics and video  EmptyWed Dec 06, 2017 10:07 pm

I like the lack of sound that the stock exhaust makes, so I thought I would see what it would do with some help. I also like the concept of the EXUP, makes sense to me so I did some work...

1. Take the stock muffler chop it in half below the weld. However, take a straight edge and draw at least two lines on it and make a couple marks with measurements. That important when you go to put it back together. The thickness of the blade will take material out of the overall length, and I wanted to reuse the factory heat shield.

2. Using an air chisel I removed the honeycomb catalytic material.

3. The muffler chamber itself has an inner tube that looks like what I would call a strainer. Using a 1.25" hole saw and extension I bored the top of it off to essentially bypass it.

4. To keep the muffler the same length, I rolled a piece of flat stock material to act as a backer for the weld. The two halves of the muffler should be separated by approximately the width of the blade I cut it with. A few tack welds internally to keep the backer in place.

5. Put the two halves together. Line up your timing marks, make sure your gap is consistent, few tack weld around the can to keep it from shifting.

6. Finish weld.

7. Reinstall.

8. Took me about an hour or so.

If you're on a budget, I figure it would save you the cost of a muffler and the EXUP dongle.

Sounds pretty close to stock, slightly deeper. Retains the EXUP and the factory look, and factory heat shields.
Modifying your stock muffler steps with pics and video  20171213
Modifying your stock muffler steps with pics and video  20171210
Modifying your stock muffler steps with pics and video  20171211
Modifying your stock muffler steps with pics and video  20171212
Modifying your stock muffler steps with pics and video  20171214

Last edited by Jerry S on Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
csmart

csmart

PostSubject: Re: Modifying your stock muffler steps with pics and video    Modifying your stock muffler steps with pics and video  EmptyThu Dec 07, 2017 9:06 am

thumb a video of it running would be nice
Back to top Go down
Jerry S

PostSubject: Re: Modifying your stock muffler steps with pics and video    Modifying your stock muffler steps with pics and video  EmptyThu Dec 07, 2017 11:13 am

I know right? I'll do it today.

Funny thing is, my hearing is wasted so there is a chance that it sounds totally different and I can't tell.
Back to top Go down
Jerry S

PostSubject: Re: Modifying your stock muffler steps with pics and video    Modifying your stock muffler steps with pics and video  EmptyThu Dec 07, 2017 2:53 pm

Back to top Go down
csmart

csmart

PostSubject: Re: Modifying your stock muffler steps with pics and video    Modifying your stock muffler steps with pics and video  EmptyThu Dec 07, 2017 6:09 pm

sounds good
Back to top Go down
Jerry S

PostSubject: Re: Modifying your stock muffler steps with pics and video    Modifying your stock muffler steps with pics and video  EmptyFri Dec 08, 2017 1:23 am

I honestly can't tell if it sounds different now.

However, I did go riding today and it felt pretty good. I was hoping to get a little more on the bottom end.
Back to top Go down
svandell

PostSubject: Re: Modifying your stock muffler steps with pics and video    Modifying your stock muffler steps with pics and video  EmptyWed Oct 10, 2018 2:20 pm

Do you still have this setup? Did you setup with a fuel programmer as well? How is the performance?
Back to top Go down
Jerry S

PostSubject: Re: Modifying your stock muffler steps with pics and video    Modifying your stock muffler steps with pics and video  EmptyTue Oct 16, 2018 6:22 pm

svandell wrote:
Do you still have this setup? Did you setup with a fuel programmer as well? How is the performance?

I still have the setup but my wife has been riding the WR. I didn't use a fuel programmer with it until later when I did some air box mods. I would say performance wise, it's decent. Sound wise, I think the bike is still pretty quiet, and it also retains the stock heat shield if you're using any type of side bags.

For what I do with the bike, it's an easy no cost mod. I think you could improve it slightly by opening the internal baffle a little more the exhaust tip.

Jerry
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Modifying your stock muffler steps with pics and video    Modifying your stock muffler steps with pics and video  Empty

Back to top Go down

Modifying your stock muffler steps with pics and video
Page 1 of 1