Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Can we trust the odometer on a used wr250r?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
jamiemm18

Can we trust the odometer on a used wr250r? Empty
PostSubject: Can we trust the odometer on a used wr250r?   Can we trust the odometer on a used wr250r? EmptyThu Mar 22, 2018 11:17 pm

Hello, the wr250rs come with factory odometers on them, do they have hour meters as well? Is it easy for someone to disconnect these odometers and ride? I’m wondering if a bike that has 2000 miles on it but looks good and used, might have had the odometer disabled for a while. Is it as simple as disconnecting an hour meter that I would install? Like a hardline or moose hour meter that you just wrap around the plug wire. Or disconnect something that goes to the front wheel? Anything I can look for to suggest this happened? Would someone have to cut it and then repair it to temporarily disable it? Is there anyway to know with a wr250r odometer if the mileage is accurate? Thank you
Back to top Go down
johnkol

PostSubject: Re: Can we trust the odometer on a used wr250r?   Can we trust the odometer on a used wr250r? EmptyFri Mar 23, 2018 1:18 am

When the title is transferred, the seller is required to state, under penalty of perjury, that the odometer is accurate. If you suspect the previous owner would go to such extreme lengths in order to hide the true mileage of the bike, then you should run away from that seller.

To answer you question, it is not at all straight-forward to disconnect the odometer on the WRR. Its input is electronic and comes from the drive axle, and the meter is part of the ECU so it cannot be easily disabled.
Back to top Go down
jamiemm18

PostSubject: Re: Can we trust the odometer on a used wr250r?   Can we trust the odometer on a used wr250r? EmptyFri Mar 23, 2018 8:47 am

thanks. I asked a similar question about the KTM woods models that have only hour meters and the response that it was as easy as sliding the wire out of the back of the meter, or off the spark plug cable. Figured Id make sure the wr's odometer wasnt as simple to trick. Thank you
Back to top Go down
rsteiger

rsteiger

PostSubject: Re: Can we trust the odometer on a used wr250r?   Can we trust the odometer on a used wr250r? EmptyFri Mar 23, 2018 11:58 am

johnkol wrote:
When the title is transferred, the seller is required to state, under penalty of perjury, that the odometer is accurate. If you suspect the previous owner would go to such extreme lengths in order to hide the true mileage of the bike, then you should run away from that seller.

To answer you question, it is not at all straight-forward to disconnect the odometer on the WRR. Its input is electronic and comes from the drive axle, and the meter is part of the ECU so it cannot be easily disabled.

I installed a SpeedoDRD on my WRR to correct for the different sprockets that I am running so my Speedometer would be accurate.

From what I recall there is a connector that you unplug and then plug one end of the SpeedoDRD in between the two. Not sure what would happen if you disconnected that connector and rode the bike. My guess is it would at least set some sort of code but that can be easily cleared later.

The other thing is you could set up the SpeedoDRD so it way under reports the mileage and speed.

Bottom line mileage is not the only thing to look at when buying a used bike. If may be only 2000 miles but if it was a rough neglected 2000 miles you may be better off with a 10,000 mile bike that was well maintained during those miles.
Back to top Go down
nick7744

PostSubject: Re: Can we trust the odometer on a used wr250r?   Can we trust the odometer on a used wr250r? EmptyFri Mar 30, 2018 9:06 am

What if you were buying a YZ250F or a WR250F that does not have an odometer? I would not go by the odometer on any dirt bike. People tend to tinker with them more than other vehicles. On my WR250R I just changed my sprocket from the stock to a 49 tooth. That threw off the odometer. If I ever sell it I will sell it as "True Miles Unknown" and explain to the new buyer that changing tires or sprocket will affect the odometer. I would give more weight to condition, upkeep, and talking to the owner than milage.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Can we trust the odometer on a used wr250r?   Can we trust the odometer on a used wr250r? Empty

Back to top Go down

Can we trust the odometer on a used wr250r?
Page 1 of 1