Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Was thinking of going stock used....but a modded one?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Nicad

Was thinking of going stock used....but a modded one? Empty
PostSubject: Was thinking of going stock used....but a modded one?   Was thinking of going stock used....but a modded one? EmptyMon Aug 26, 2019 3:37 pm

Been hunting for a low mile Wr250R that is relatively new (As in 2016 and up) and have come across lots with super low miles. (300-600)
Was thinking of keeping it mechanically stock , but setup for touring with a better seat,bigger tank and gearing for lower speeds. SO a fully farkled and modded one popped up with the usual hop up parts for a good price. It has the FMF header, pollution deletes, fuel controller, etc. as well as the stock parts. I like the idea of a bit less weight, but would want this bike to keep it's low end throttle response and output optimized, as well as reliability and driveability. Is there a downside to the standard WR mods other than increased noise? Thanks.
This one is priced well and has most of the parts I would put on anyway other than the engine mods.
Back to top Go down
paulie1960

PostSubject: Re: Was thinking of going stock used....but a modded one?   Was thinking of going stock used....but a modded one? EmptyMon Aug 26, 2019 6:15 pm

Nicad wrote:
Been hunting for a low mile Wr250R that is relatively new (As in 2016 and up) and have come across lots with super low miles. (300-600)
Was thinking of keeping it mechanically stock , but setup for touring with a better seat,bigger tank and gearing for lower speeds. SO a fully farkled and modded one popped up with the usual hop up parts for a good price. It has the FMF header, pollution deletes, fuel controller, etc. as well as the stock parts. I like the idea of a bit less weight, but would want this bike to keep it's low end throttle response and output optimized, as well as reliability and driveability. Is there a downside to the standard WR mods other than increased noise? Thanks.
This one is priced well and has most of the parts I would put on anyway other than the engine mods.
If its in good shape get it, it will not hurt reliability plus I found noise is good thing, helps warn cars your coming and help warn the deer to watch out for you. I have wrr with a lot of mods. 290kit, racetech suspension and springs, pipe, and has 20000mi, my best bike, the most conformable best handling, fits me like a glove, put like 300mi almost every week, I decided to selling all my other dirt bikes and buy another clean low mileage wrr and maybe hoping yamaha will make it a wr300r just for me.
Back to top Go down
on2wheels52

PostSubject: Re: Was thinking of going stock used....but a modded one?   Was thinking of going stock used....but a modded one? EmptyTue Aug 27, 2019 8:25 am

"I found noise is good thing........ and help(s) warn the deer to watch out for you." Pray
Back to top Go down
Nicad

PostSubject: Re: Was thinking of going stock used....but a modded one?   Was thinking of going stock used....but a modded one? EmptyWed Aug 28, 2019 12:53 pm

on2wheels52 wrote:
"I found noise is good thing........ and help(s) warn the deer to watch out for you." Pray
Rode the bike yesterday, I much prefer stock. This bike was fully farkled by it's 15 year old owner (Sold by the parents) Huge money spent on stuff I don't really want other than tires and gearing. If I could sell it off easily, I'd buy the bike.
Back to top Go down
woofer2609

PostSubject: Re: Was thinking of going stock used....but a modded one?   Was thinking of going stock used....but a modded one? EmptyThu Aug 29, 2019 12:46 pm

Nicad wrote:
Just to be clear, they're not "pollution" deletes. The only pollution device on the bike is the catalytic converter in the muffler, but the AIS, and airbox flap are there for helping create low end torque and better throttle response.
I would go stock if possible. I too would like a lower weight bike, but the main selling point of this bike, to me, is reliability. I think any mods affect the reliability.
For better performance, I would just change the gearing and see if that satisfies.
Back to top Go down
Jens Eskildsen

PostSubject: Re: Was thinking of going stock used....but a modded one?   Was thinking of going stock used....but a modded one? EmptyFri Aug 30, 2019 2:39 am

How about the flapper? It closes as you add more throttle, that cant be a "more low end thing"
How would the ais system help with better low end? Shog Its short for "air induction system"

But I agree about the gearing, do that first, might be enough. thumb

By changing the exhaust and thus removing the exup system, remove the flapper ect, you're removing mechanical parts, and replacing them with aftermarked stuff with no moving parts. How does that affect reliability? For me, it makes the bike simpler, lighter, and better performing.
By your logic, changing the gearing would also affect reliability, wouldnt it? :)
Back to top Go down
woofer2609

PostSubject: Re: Was thinking of going stock used....but a modded one?   Was thinking of going stock used....but a modded one? EmptyFri Aug 30, 2019 3:37 pm

Jens Eskildsen wrote:
How about the flapper? It closes as you add more throttle, that cant be a "more low end thing"
How would the ais system help with better low end? Shog Its short for "air induction system"

But I agree about the gearing, do that first, might be enough.  thumb

By changing the exhaust and thus removing the exup system, remove the flapper ect, you're removing mechanical parts, and replacing them with aftermarked stuff with no moving parts. How does that affect reliability? For me, it makes the bike simpler, lighter, and better performing.
By your logic, changing the gearing would also affect reliability, wouldnt it? :)

Yeah, I was a little quick on the draw there saying the cat is the only anti-pollution device,  I would tend to agree with you on the AIS system as being good for complete combustion.
The flapper; one could argue it is there for high rpm operation, but that would mean the bike is somewhat restricted in the lower rpm range. I think this probably has to do with noise restrictions (same as the rubber bushing on the stock sprockets.) But then again, it very much could have to do with altering the air pressure of the air entering the intake manifold ( Google Hemholtz resistance.)
http://www.saltmine.org.uk/randy/airboxdesign.html
I know enough about this to know I don't know as much as the engineers at Yamaha, so I have just left mine alone.  

How the EXUP system alters torque valleys is explained https://classic-motorbikes.net/brilliant-biking-inventionsthe-exup-valve/. It is not just an anti-0pollution device, that happens to be a nice side effect.

As for reliability? The fuel injection system is designed to work in unison with all the components (Exup, AIS, flapper, etc). The fi system on this bike is an open loop system (in North America at least,) meaning that the fi is calibrated for the stock exhaust. If an aftermarket exhaust breathes with far fewer restrictions, (most people's reason for buying one, along with weight), the bike may be running leaner than with the stock exhaust, but the "stupid" open loop system doesn't know this, so keeps the A/F mixture the same as with a stock exhaust. Lean bikes run hot, (hotter than Yamaha designed), and hot bikes burn themselves out (but put out some nice power gains in the mean time.) So yeah, that's going to affect reliability.

One could argue that you can always plug in a PowerCommander and alter your own A/F mixtures across the rpm range, but I for one tend to think that if I get it wrong, I'm again further compromising reliability, as the bike is not running at its optimum A/F mixture.

As always, to each their own, but I tend to think altering one part of a complex system affects reliability adversely.
Back to top Go down
Jens Eskildsen

PostSubject: Re: Was thinking of going stock used....but a modded one?   Was thinking of going stock used....but a modded one? EmptySun Sep 01, 2019 5:10 pm

I just look at at as im simplifying a complex system Shog wink

I didnt mention the exup system, though.

The Fi is there to provide a stable air/fuel ratio. It doesnt know the flapper is there, it doesnt know the ais system is mounted, and why would it, as the air enters after the combostion, why would it change something because of that?

The ais is a byproduct of having to add the catalytic converter, to increase its life and make it work better. Theres no faultcodes ect for either the ais, or the flapper.

As for the exup, by removing that, you remove 2 possible faultcodes 17 and 18 (if its not there, how is it going to fail) that's not mentioning the funktionality of cables themselves, or the moving part in the exhasut that can soot up and jam.

I trust my own work enough to know that this si the right way for me, and I want to give the OP and others my point of view, so they can take that in to account when they need to make a decision for themselves. As you said, to each their own thumb
Back to top Go down
Nicad

PostSubject: Re: Was thinking of going stock used....but a modded one?   Was thinking of going stock used....but a modded one? EmptySun Sep 01, 2019 5:14 pm

Jens Eskildsen wrote:
I just look at at as im simplifying a complex system Shog wink

I didnt mention the exup system, though.

The Fi is there to provide a stable air/fuel ratio. It doesnt know the flapper is there, it doesnt know the ais system is mounted, and why would it, as the air enters after the combostion, why would it change something because of that?

The ais is a byproduct of having to add the catalytic converter, to increase its life and make it work better. Theres no faultcodes ect for either the ais, or the flapper.

As for the exup, by removing that, you remove 2 possible faultcodes 17 and 18 (if its not there, how is it going to fail) that's not mentioning the funktionality of cables themselves, or the moving part in the exhasut that can soot up and jam.

I trust my own work enough to know that this si the right way for me, and I want to give the OP and others my point of view, so they can take that in to account when they need to make a decision for themselves. As you said, to each their own thumb
Good post, I appreciate all the opinions. Probably buying the bike with all the parts, that way I can do my own testing over time and sell off what I don't want on Ebay for I'm hoping .50 cents on the retail dollar.The bike only has 300 miles on it.
Back to top Go down
Nicad

PostSubject: Re: Was thinking of going stock used....but a modded one?   Was thinking of going stock used....but a modded one? EmptySun Sep 01, 2019 5:21 pm

correction...just put a deposit on it and am picking it up later in the week!

Back to top Go down
Jens Eskildsen

PostSubject: Re: Was thinking of going stock used....but a modded one?   Was thinking of going stock used....but a modded one? EmptyMon Sep 02, 2019 3:19 pm

Cool, remember to post pictures wings
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Was thinking of going stock used....but a modded one?   Was thinking of going stock used....but a modded one? Empty

Back to top Go down

Was thinking of going stock used....but a modded one?
Page 1 of 1