Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Height of brake lever / riding the brakes

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
xpusostomos

Height of brake lever / riding the brakes Empty
PostSubject: Height of brake lever / riding the brakes   Height of brake lever / riding the brakes EmptySat Oct 26, 2019 3:02 pm

Hi all, I'm new to motorcycling and my new bike is a wr250r. One thing that bothers me is that with my feet straight on the pegs it feels like I'm riding the brakes unless I strain the front of my foot up, or push my toes to the side (in which case my reaction times to get to the brake are much lower).

Now as a new rider, I wouldn't know any better if this is just how things are, but I took a loaner bike Kawasaki Versys 650 street bike from the dealer when it was getting serviced, and the brake lever was a lot lower compared to the peg so my foot could sit there at comfortable angle, yet I could push my toes down to quickly access the brake.

Any advice / comments / insight for this newby?

Back to top Go down
Jens Eskildsen

PostSubject: Re: Height of brake lever / riding the brakes   Height of brake lever / riding the brakes EmptyMon Oct 28, 2019 8:10 am

You can simply adjust the lever down where its attached to the mastercylinder.
Back to top Go down
johnkol

PostSubject: Re: Height of brake lever / riding the brakes   Height of brake lever / riding the brakes EmptyTue Oct 29, 2019 2:31 am

xpusostomos wrote:
Hi all, I'm new to motorcycling and my new bike is a wr250r. One thing that bothers me is that with my feet straight on the pegs it feels like I'm riding the brakes unless I strain the front of my foot up, or push my toes to the side (in which case my reaction times to get to the brake are much lower).

Sounds about right, the brake pedal is going to be above your foot.

Reaction time for the rear brake is meaningless since the rear brake does not really contribute much to slowing down the bike; it is more useful off-road for locking the rear wheel, but of course you're not concerned about reaction times when you ride off-road.
Back to top Go down
xpusostomos

PostSubject: Re: Height of brake lever / riding the brakes   Height of brake lever / riding the brakes EmptyTue Nov 05, 2019 5:33 am

Jens Eskildsen wrote:
You can simply adjust the lever down where its attached to the mastercylinder.

Hmm, I can't see how it can be adjusted. The pedal is one piece with fixed angles where it attaches.
Back to top Go down
xpusostomos

PostSubject: Re: Height of brake lever / riding the brakes   Height of brake lever / riding the brakes EmptyTue Nov 05, 2019 5:34 am

johnkol wrote:
xpusostomos wrote:

Sounds about right, the brake pedal is going to be above your foot.

Reaction time for the rear brake is meaningless since the rear brake does not really contribute much to slowing down the bike; it is more useful off-road for locking the rear wheel, but of course you're not concerned about reaction times when you ride off-road.

Well... I've got to imagine it contributes a bit. And a bit can mean the difference between life and death. But I was more thinking of the comfort of not having to keep moving your foot, which is what I experienced on the other bike.
Back to top Go down
johnkol

PostSubject: Re: Height of brake lever / riding the brakes   Height of brake lever / riding the brakes EmptyTue Nov 05, 2019 1:50 pm

xpusostomos wrote:
But I was more thinking of the comfort of not having to keep moving your foot, which is what I experienced on the other bike.

There's a fundamental difference between street bikes and off-road bikes: the latter need to tuck the rear brake in a position where it will not get easily tangled in bushes; even in that shielded position, a lot of riders put a cable between the brake pedal and the frame to prevent branches from getting lodged between the pedal and the frame. Street bikes are not concerned about these issues, but on street bikes the front brake is strong enough that assistance from the rear is not needed.
Back to top Go down
Jens Eskildsen

PostSubject: Re: Height of brake lever / riding the brakes   Height of brake lever / riding the brakes EmptyTue Nov 05, 2019 2:00 pm

You dont adjuster the brakelever itself, but where its mounted to the mastercylinder.
You need to adjust it at the master cylinder, theres a threaded part in the bottom of it. Adjust the Bracket (up or down)that connects the brakepedal to the mastercylinder. This will make the brake pedal sit lower or higher. If you have to, you can unscrew the nut at the bottom to gain even more.

Theres really nut much to it.

Height of brake lever / riding the brakes S-l500
Back to top Go down
xpusostomos

PostSubject: Re: Height of brake lever / riding the brakes   Height of brake lever / riding the brakes EmptyWed Nov 06, 2019 5:32 am

Jens Eskildsen wrote:
You dont adjuster the brakelever itself, but where its mounted to the mastercylinder.
You need to adjust it at the master cylinder, theres a threaded part in the bottom of it. Adjust the Bracket (up or down)that connects the brakepedal to the mastercylinder. This will make the brake pedal sit lower or higher. If you have to, you can unscrew the nut at the bottom to gain even more.

Theres really nut much to it.

Height of brake lever / riding the brakes S-l500

Oh, ok. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Height of brake lever / riding the brakes   Height of brake lever / riding the brakes Empty

Back to top Go down

Height of brake lever / riding the brakes
Page 1 of 1