Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

My attempt at a "Swing Stand"

Go down 
+5
rpo83
Jäger
inspector
Pancho
oldirt
9 posters
AuthorMessage
oldirt

oldirt

My attempt at a "Swing Stand" Empty
PostSubject: My attempt at a "Swing Stand"   My attempt at a "Swing Stand" EmptyWed Dec 09, 2009 2:23 am

Does anyone remember these, I tried to buy one but they are not available anymore My attempt at a "Swing Stand" Eek7 So, here we go, I looked at the original design and figured I could make one up. This my attempt. Here is what I picked up,
2 feet each: 1/4 in dowel, 3/8 in dowel and 1/2 in thin wall mild steel.
Use the 1/4 in dowel to form the brace on the swing arm.
Cut and weld a small piece of 3/8 dowel to the brace.
Cut 2 pieces of 1/2 in tubing
Cut another small piece of 3/8 dowel (3 in) and insert in one piece of
tubing and tack weld leaving 2 in exposed to slip into the other
tubing. Having 2 in exposed will let you carry a 1 in piece of tubing
in the event you need one more inch in the field.
Add some 1/4 fuel line where needed.
When I was trying to figure out a "foot" for the end of the stand, I
found some thing left over from my satellite install, so I am going to
try this for now.
I used a 115 volt mig welder for the job, perfect, to bad I can't weld pretty.
$8 for material, but need to add a small velcro strap to wrap around the front brake lever.

My attempt at a "Swing Stand" IMG_12031-1

My attempt at a "Swing Stand" IMG_12011

My attempt at a "Swing Stand" IMG_12021

My attempt at a "Swing Stand" IMG_11991

My attempt at a "Swing Stand" IMG_11981

Enjoy, it's all trial and error.
Back to top Go down
Pancho

Pancho

PostSubject: Re: My attempt at a "Swing Stand"   My attempt at a "Swing Stand" EmptyWed Dec 09, 2009 9:09 am

Here is my version of it:
-two pieces of square steel that inserts one into the other, a bolt and nut, welded a 1/2 bit adapter so I can use real tubes to remove axles bolts. Also used the "handle" to carry some wire and tape.... Made several holes to the thinner part in case is needed different heights. I've also made a space in the chopping board skid plate to place the stand in the front to remove the front wheel. Notice the main structure was made by local welder, and I added the 1/2 bit adapter, and I'm NOT a good welder My attempt at a "Swing Stand" Icon_rolleyes

My attempt at a "Swing Stand" Img0176xa

My attempt at a "Swing Stand" Img0177a

My attempt at a "Swing Stand" Img0180

My attempt at a "Swing Stand" Img0182ol
Back to top Go down
inspector

inspector

PostSubject: Re: My attempt at a "Swing Stand"   My attempt at a "Swing Stand" EmptyWed Dec 09, 2009 10:58 am

Here's one for sale with a review.
Back to top Go down
Jäger
Admin
Jäger

PostSubject: Re: My attempt at a "Swing Stand"   My attempt at a "Swing Stand" EmptyWed Dec 09, 2009 11:45 am

inspector wrote:
This thread exists because the original piece of kit is no longer for sale.

I like the original poster's work, and I need something like this. I'm away from home right now so I don't have my bike available for measurements. But I'd like to fab or have somebody fab up something similar. I'm not sure whether I like the round or the square design more, but I suspect both can be made a bit smaller to fit better in a front fender bag and still be strong enough to bear the weight.

What would be nice would be if the posters who have fabbed this up took pics with a scale beside the parts to give an idea of measurements, or just post the measurements of their respective parts.

Anyone making one will fill figure out general measurements soon enough once you're standing there with material in hand, but a general idea to start with would be nice.
Back to top Go down
rpo83

rpo83

PostSubject: Re: My attempt at a "Swing Stand"   My attempt at a "Swing Stand" EmptyWed Dec 09, 2009 7:29 pm

There is one of these type of stands available in the vendors section on ADVrider.

I'll post a link soon, as the site is having tech problems at the moment.

I received mine last week, alloy construction and very compact.
Back to top Go down
rpo83

rpo83

PostSubject: Re: My attempt at a "Swing Stand"   My attempt at a "Swing Stand" EmptyWed Dec 09, 2009 7:38 pm

Linky here

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=380877
Back to top Go down
Pancho

Pancho

PostSubject: Re: My attempt at a "Swing Stand"   My attempt at a "Swing Stand" EmptyWed Dec 09, 2009 8:50 pm

Ok, so the specs are:
1 square "pipe¿?" 23cm long, 25mm wide. (hollow)
1 square idem 23 cm long, 19mm wide (so it can be inserted into the 25mm one)
1 bolt (use a #14 mm wrench to adjust it) and nut.
the base is a 37*37*2.5mm metal plate.
the U to fit on the swing arm is a 120*37*2.5mm metal plate
Make several holes to the thin pipe as requiered

Here it is working on the front wheel, note you should use something on the sidestand (piece of wood or stone) so the bike doesn't lean so far.

And sorry for the technical english, but never been there! My attempt at a "Swing Stand" 9356 My attempt at a "Swing Stand" 29721 (Moderators feel free to correct the description with proper technical words)

My attempt at a "Swing Stand" Img0185n

My attempt at a "Swing Stand" Img0183as
Back to top Go down
oldirt

oldirt

PostSubject: Re: My attempt at a "Swing Stand"   My attempt at a "Swing Stand" EmptyThu Dec 10, 2009 12:50 am

Jäger wrote:
inspector wrote:
This thread exists because the original piece of kit is no longer for sale.

What would be nice would be if the posters who have fabbed this up took pics with a scale beside the parts to give an idea of measurements, or just post the measurements of their respective parts.

Anyone making one will fill figure out general measurements soon enough once you're standing there with material in hand, but a general idea to start with would be nice.

The legs were 9-10 inches long (each), I would more likely make another one since this was my "attempt" and I think I can fine tune the fit and finish. Overall, it should function, I would like the leg to be a little longer, and I like the idea of a way to lift the front wheel as well. All the material used was mild steel, the tubing (I think the guy mentioned 090 wall) is 1/2 inch OD and, really the hole set up doesn't weigh that much.
Back to top Go down
clapped_r6

clapped_r6

PostSubject: Re: My attempt at a "Swing Stand"   My attempt at a "Swing Stand" EmptyThu Dec 10, 2009 1:32 am

i got a cheap aluminum medical "walker" that had telescoping legs and made that work, cutting off what wasn't needed and it clips into itself.

sorry, don't have pics, but it packs up real small and is light and strong?

even has a rubber foot for stability
Back to top Go down
Pancho

Pancho

PostSubject: Re: My attempt at a "Swing Stand"   My attempt at a "Swing Stand" EmptyThu Dec 10, 2009 9:25 am

I thought of that too, but no way I was going to be able to weld aluminium if necessary....but looks great.
Back to top Go down
oldirt

oldirt

PostSubject: Swing stand   My attempt at a "Swing Stand" EmptyThu Dec 10, 2009 5:49 pm

Here are some pics to give you a visual perspective of the size

My attempt at a "Swing Stand" IMG_12061

My attempt at a "Swing Stand" IMG_12051
Back to top Go down
IfuleU

PostSubject: Re: My attempt at a "Swing Stand"   My attempt at a "Swing Stand" EmptyThu Dec 10, 2009 6:04 pm

the "walker" method

My attempt at a "Swing Stand" P1000006
Back to top Go down
toast

PostSubject: Re: My attempt at a "Swing Stand"   My attempt at a "Swing Stand" EmptyThu Dec 10, 2009 10:32 pm

HAHAHA! That is totally ghetto. I love it.

Doesn't look terribly stable though...

IfuleU wrote:
the "walker" method

My attempt at a "Swing Stand" P1000006
Back to top Go down
greer

PostSubject: Re: My attempt at a "Swing Stand"   My attempt at a "Swing Stand" EmptyFri Dec 11, 2009 6:30 am

Another pic of the Wally World Walking Cane Trail Jack.

Sarah

My attempt at a "Swing Stand" P1020057
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My attempt at a "Swing Stand"   My attempt at a "Swing Stand" Empty

Back to top Go down

My attempt at a "Swing Stand"
Page 1 of 1