Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

2009 WRR big end bearing failure

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
motonakul

motonakul

2009 WRR big end bearing failure  Empty
PostSubject: 2009 WRR big end bearing failure    2009 WRR big end bearing failure  EmptyWed Sep 30, 2020 11:21 pm

It has been 3 painfully slow weeks without the WRR! Heard a change in the general engine rattle that was anything but normal for the WRR and paid no head to it, since I was out enjoying the backcountry roads on a Sunday afternoon. Sure enough, the sound only got louder by the time I got home and there was a rhythm to the metallic rattle that had started emanating from the engine.
Other things that I noticed major misfiring during deceleration as well over the past couple of weeks.

The strange metallic rhythmic sound I heard was piston slapping at the top and something not sound right from the bottom end. Some more riding at snails pace to the mechanic and the diagnosis is the big end bearing of the conrod is in the process of packing up.

That is when there is anger and frustration all spewing out at the same time and nothing seems to make sense anymore. These flipping engines are known to be bulletproof and last a couple of 10's of thousands of kms before needing anything on the engine to be opened, let alone needing replacement!

In all fairness, I did buy the bike off someone who had it for the first 15000kms of it life and he couldn't really provide detailed service records or details of what had been done the intervals it was put in storage to the time it took him around the south island. I got 10000kms of it before this happened!

Unfortunately for me, I live in a little corner of the world where every flipping thing is expensive and I could spend 2/3rd the cost of a rebuild in labour alone. So that estimate I got for a rebuild from 2 difference mechanics was gut wrenching and possibly not worth the cost when I look at market value for something as old as my WRR.

Another option is to sell it as-is and cut my losses and be happy that I get anything for it!!

I have read a couple of other horror stories of other WRR owners having their engines pack up at less than half of what I managed to get out of my bike. Anyone on here who had the same issue and did a rebuild? Did you manage to get a bullet proof engine out of the rebuild?

I am contemplating tearing it down myself and seeing if I can salvage the situation with my limited skills that have never done engine work before!

Back to top Go down
johnkol

2009 WRR big end bearing failure  Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2009 WRR big end bearing failure    2009 WRR big end bearing failure  EmptyThu Oct 01, 2020 7:07 pm

Even if you didn't live at the edge of the world, it would still be cost-prohibitive to have a shop do the work. It may be cheaper to get a used motor from eBay, have you looked at this at all?

The only way to resurrect the bike without breaking the bank would be to do the work yourself, but if you haven't opened a motor before, this is not the best opportunity for you to learn.

I think you would get more money if you were to part out the bike rather than trying to sell a crippled WRR. But if you get to the point where parting out is the only remaining option, then you might as well try to repair the damage yourself because there is little to lose by trying.

JemmyOtis likes this post

Back to top Go down

2009 WRR big end bearing failure
Page 1 of 1