Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Help with ‘01 WR250f - won’t start after rebuild

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
GlennMeinhardt

Help with ‘01 WR250f - won’t start after rebuild Empty
PostSubject: Help with ‘01 WR250f - won’t start after rebuild   Help with ‘01 WR250f - won’t start after rebuild EmptyWed Dec 23, 2020 12:59 pm

I just performed a top-end rebuild (valves, seals, piston, rings, gaskets) and carburetor rebuild (including all stock jets and gaskets, including mid-body). Valve clearances on intakes are within spec (0.11, 0.11, 0.12 mm), exhaust as well (0.18, 0.18 mm). Compression as best I can get with my old gage is 120 psi. It ran for like 5 secs and now won’t pop at all. When it first ran, the compression was at 90 psi and the plug wouldn’t even get wet even pumping the throttle (just to see if fuel was moving), still plug was dry. I actually tore it all down again ..engine and carb...check ring positions, gap, bore diameter..all good. Set timing to manual..Exhaust mark is at 9:00, intake mark is at 3:00 12 pins between top marks on each. Carb checked out...actually hooked up a shop vac and drew fuel through a shop rag...rag was wet, carb was wet at the starter and pilot orifices in the throat. Accelerator pump is working. Fuel screw is out two turns and the idle is set with the slide up about 1 mm. Put it all back together (this is when I measured 120 psi..held throttle open full as manual suggested...seemed to help reading). Still plug is not wet. Plug is new with nice spark...actually arcs to the exhaust pipe if held close. Really at wits end. I am 54 put I think I am kicking hard enough. Any help is appreciated!
Back to top Go down
GlennMeinhardt

PostSubject: Gas is 93 octane   Help with ‘01 WR250f - won’t start after rebuild EmptyWed Dec 23, 2020 1:02 pm

BTW, gas is three months old, 93 octane.
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: Help with ‘01 WR250f - won’t start after rebuild   Help with ‘01 WR250f - won’t start after rebuild EmptyThu Dec 24, 2020 6:55 am

I'd get rid of the old gasoline.
How's the air filter look? Like new and freshly oiled, or dirty?
Describe your starting procedure with the decompression lever.
Back to top Go down
GlennMeinhardt

PostSubject: Re: Help with ‘01 WR250f - won’t start after rebuild   Help with ‘01 WR250f - won’t start after rebuild EmptyThu Dec 24, 2020 8:09 am

Thanks! Air cleaner is new, new gas will probably help you are right, but I did get it running. Buddy came over and even he struggled a bit but we got it. The procedure we use to start is (at least until frustration kicks in!): cold start (black knob) out, hot start (red knob) in, fuel on, ratchet the kick lever to the top (til I can stand on it), with a little pressure on the kick lever pull in decomp lever and let the kick lever rotate down a bit, release the devomp,lever and with no throttle kick like hell!

I think the new build is just hard for me to turn over? I am hoping with a little break in, and the opportunity to dial in the mix (turning fuel screw back to 1-1/2 is first on the list) will make it easier? Thanks for the help! I really appreciate it.
Back to top Go down
johnkol

PostSubject: Re: Help with ‘01 WR250f - won’t start after rebuild   Help with ‘01 WR250f - won’t start after rebuild EmptyThu Dec 24, 2020 2:58 pm

This forum is about the WR250R, a fuel-injected road-legal dual sport bike first introduced in 2008, that shares virtually no components with the WR250F.

You'd have a much better chance of getting useful feedback if you posted your questions in Thumpertalk.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Help with ‘01 WR250f - won’t start after rebuild   Help with ‘01 WR250f - won’t start after rebuild Empty

Back to top Go down

Help with ‘01 WR250f - won’t start after rebuild
Page 1 of 1