Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Bike sat for a year, now it wont run well

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
swehrmann2

Bike sat for a year, now it wont run well Empty
PostSubject: Bike sat for a year, now it wont run well   Bike sat for a year, now it wont run well EmptyWed Apr 28, 2021 9:09 pm

Looking for some advice / support.
I have a 2008 wr250r that was running well, was put in storage for a year and now starts fine but doesn't appear to be running well.

Symptoms: Bike is starved for fuel, It appears that the programmer/ ECU isn't moving between zones correctly which makes me now think one of my sensors is not functioning correctly.
However, the previous owner removed the stock dash and replaced it with a trail tech unit. This has made debugging incredibly difficult. As such, if there is anyone here that could spare to loan out a dash unit for me to see if I have any codes stored that would be fantastic. Have no issue paying a deposit and shipping both ways. Or if someone is local to the SF Bay Area I could come and grab it. I have tried the Yamaha FI diagnostics tool meant for motorcycles, but it appears to have a different communication protocol.

Mods:
- Thumper Racing big bore kit
- AIS delete
- EJK programmer
- Safari Tank
- Replaced fuel pump 2 years ago

Symptoms/ issues fixed so far:

1) Initially the bike was not starting at all, I tracked this down to what appeared to be a bad pressure regulator on the fuel pump, this was replaced and the bike would now start
2) filled tank with fresh gas
3) Bike still ran poorly: replaced the nylon fuel line between pump and injector: hose was permanently deformed/ pinched
4) Cleaned injector (flushed with solvent and injector cleaner)
5) repaired the vacuum line coming off of the injector which originally went to the AIS (This was definitely cracked but is 100% fixed now)
6) Played with every single setting in the EJK programmer. Some settings work better than others but can never get to full RPMs

Any help would be appreciated
Back to top Go down
johnkol

Bike sat for a year, now it wont run well Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bike sat for a year, now it wont run well   Bike sat for a year, now it wont run well EmptySat May 01, 2021 2:58 am

Can you elaborate on what the exact problem is? You say it's starved for fuel, but how did you arrive at that conclusion? IOW, how does the problem manifest?

The OEM display is helpful, but you can still do a lot of troubleshooting without it: go to Page 8-71 of the service manual and start checking all the components described there for proper operation.

You should pay particular attention to the Air Intake Pressure Sensor: you need to do a complete sweep of vacuum vs output voltage to determine whether the sensor is good.

In addition to the above, you should:

1. Replace spark plug (unless you recently did so)
2. Check for proper compression with a pressure gauge
3. Check for correct fuel pressure with a fuel pressure gauge
Back to top Go down

Bike sat for a year, now it wont run well
Page 1 of 1