Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Switched power on the WRR

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
tomarsyd

Switched power on the WRR Empty
PostSubject: Switched power on the WRR   Switched power on the WRR EmptySun Sep 26, 2021 5:20 pm

Hi all,

I've got a 2008 WRR that I've had since about 2016. I'm finally getting around to adding some more 'permanent' electronic mods, namely a Garmin Zumo XT and some accessory lights, and possibly a USB charging port.

I've seen some references to a power hub that can be used but at the very least can someone guide me to where to wire in my Garmin on a switched power so I don't have to connect directly to the battery?

I'd like to know where I can tap into switched power as well as the best method of doing that so as to not create any bad connections or shorts.

I have found some very old threads discussing this but they are so old that images are no longer showing etc.

Thanks in advance.

Some pics for attention:

Switched power on the WRR IiwZHM6

Switched power on the WRR Irockk0

Switched power on the WRR FPwzRDr

Back to top Go down
laz749s

laz749s

PostSubject: Re: Switched power on the WRR   Switched power on the WRR EmptyMon Sep 27, 2021 8:34 am

I did my heated grips to my tail light.
Back to top Go down
tomarsyd

PostSubject: Re: Switched power on the WRR   Switched power on the WRR EmptyMon Sep 27, 2021 9:04 am

Thanks. Would you mind sharing how you did that?
Back to top Go down
laz749s

laz749s

PostSubject: Re: Switched power on the WRR   Switched power on the WRR EmptyMon Sep 27, 2021 7:52 pm

I found the hot wire to the tail light and splice in and grounded to the battery .
Back to top Go down
johnkol

PostSubject: Re: Switched power on the WRR   Switched power on the WRR EmptyThu Sep 30, 2021 1:39 am

Have you thought through on how the switched power will work with your Garmin? Every time you stop for gas for example Garmin will turn off and then you will have to wait for about a minute for it to come back on, acquire the signal, and go back to the route it was displaying.

I have had multiple Garmins over the years, have a Zumo now, but I have always had them on unswitched outlets.
Back to top Go down
Jäger
Admin
Jäger

PostSubject: Re: Switched power on the WRR   Switched power on the WRR EmptyTue Oct 05, 2021 10:51 pm

tomarsyd wrote:
Hi all,

I'd like to know where I can tap into switched power as well as the best method of doing that so as to not create any bad connections or shorts.

Eastern Beaver was my friend way back in 2008 when I bought my WRR; my guess is they'll have an option that works for you as well:

Eastern Beaver Motorcycle Electronics

No splicing into taillight wires, etc, required. Which was a big sales point for me. I can't even remember exactly how I installed the wiring/fuses/connectors... I'd have to go look. The biggest annoyance was running the wiring forward to the bars and then into my tank bag, way out of the way. Probably took me no more than 20 minutes... no agro at all

I went very simple: one lead to the bars to provide power to either my Garmin Rino GPS (still working all these years later) or my small tablet running Dual Sport Maps.  The second lead into my tank bag for charging camera batteries, spare batteries for my phone or my phone itself, etc. Or both into the tank bag and stuff plugged in there.  More complex solutions for heated grips, heated clothing, etc are available.  Or were... but they look like they're still in business.

He used to do custom solutions if you couldn't find anything that suited your wants.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Switched power on the WRR   Switched power on the WRR Empty

Back to top Go down

Switched power on the WRR
Page 1 of 1