Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Won’t start- feel like I’ve tried everything!

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Louatlvc

Won’t start- feel like I’ve tried everything! Empty
PostSubject: Won’t start- feel like I’ve tried everything!   Won’t start- feel like I’ve tried everything! EmptySun Nov 21, 2021 9:52 pm

I have a 2008 Wr250r with under 7k miles. Purchased with 4k last year and bike has been running great. Had a charging problem right after purchase that was fixed with a new reg/rec. was driving home from work last week. Was running great until I slowed down for stop sign and pulled in the clutch. Bike stalled as if out of gas and would not start. Got home and checked voltage. All good. I recently put in new battery and I have a volt meter. Battery putting out 12.5v and before it stalled, 14.2 when running. Stator (replaced under recall and reg/rec tested fine. Spark Plug was clean, correctly gaped and had good spark. Tested coil and resistance was within spec. Fuel pump was replaced under recall and was engaging when ignition turned on.
I started ruling out things one by one.
1. I put in new plug. No luck.
2. I removed fuel injector and activated it with 9 volt battery while spraying carb cleaner through it and got nice spray pattern. Reinstalled. No luck
4. Had friend bring over his WR and put his tank on mine to see if it might be fuel pump. No luck.
5. Checked fault codes and found one. It was crank position sensor. I tested resistance and it was within spec.
6. Checked cylinder for compression. All good.
Bike cranks strong but will not start. Any ideas?
Thanks.
Back to top Go down
johnkol

PostSubject: Re: Won’t start- feel like I’ve tried everything!   Won’t start- feel like I’ve tried everything! EmptyWed Nov 24, 2021 12:29 am

Louatlvc wrote:
5. Checked fault codes and found one. It was crank position sensor. I tested resistance and it was within spec.
6. Checked cylinder for compression. All good.
Bike cranks strong but will not start. Any ideas?

That was Fault Code 12? Was it a current one or archived? You may want to delete it and see if it re-appears after you attempt to start the bike again.

What kind of cylinder pressure did you get?

Since your friend has a WRR, you may want to swap ECUs next. In fact, this is the best way to find the problem: start replacing components from a known good bike.
Back to top Go down
JPCUT

JPCUT

PostSubject: Re: Won’t start- feel like I’ve tried everything!   Won’t start- feel like I’ve tried everything! EmptyThu Nov 25, 2021 11:04 am

I have an ecu I’m trying to sell on eBay. I bought it when my WR wouldn’t start. Turned out the ecu is fine, but the leak down test showed only 50% compression. Some water got into the cylinder and rusted the piston rings. Air filter was dry and brittle (from PO) and there was rust elements in the stock tank. After a top end rebuild it works fine.
Back to top Go down
Louatlvc

PostSubject: Re: Won’t start- feel like I’ve tried everything!   Won’t start- feel like I’ve tried everything! EmptyFri Nov 26, 2021 10:27 am

Thanks for the offer. Since my original post I tried a good ECU and found that it was not the problem. Compression is good. At this point I'm going to start tracing wires and connectors. P.O. had some stuff spliced in that I removed when I got it. Maybe a short someplace. Thanks for thoughts.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Won’t start- feel like I’ve tried everything!   Won’t start- feel like I’ve tried everything! Empty

Back to top Go down

Won’t start- feel like I’ve tried everything!
Page 1 of 1