Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Do you ever feel obligated to buy?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
shep

Do you ever feel obligated to buy? Empty
PostSubject: Do you ever feel obligated to buy?   Do you ever feel obligated to buy? EmptyFri Mar 18, 2011 4:08 pm

I have been casually looking for a nice used 250 X or R. I am about to sell a business and wanted to add one to the garage. I have been riding European bikes for years so even though I've been hanging out at my local Japanese dealers all my life, I rarely buy a bike from them. Since my local dealer has both an X and an R on the floor, I decided to stop by. We have known each other for many years. We are at least "casual friends." In fact, we do other business together. So, I stop by and of course he wants to know what I'm doing in a Yamaha shop (good natured kidding!) and I tell him I want to see his X and compare it to the R. After I take a look, he says, "You want me to put some oil and gas in it so you can take it for a spin?" Both bikes are new. I told him I did not know he gave test rides nor did I expect one. He says, "No problem." Tomorrow I'm going to go ride his new X. Now, if I have not wore you out with the story yet, here is the issue: I never really planned to buy a new one. There are so many low mileage used X and R bikes out there for about $4k or less, I see no reason to buy new. On the other hand, I do like to support the local guys any way I can, after all, I have a local business too. I buys accessories off them when I can and I have actually bought a bike or two from this shop in the past. My problem is now that he has been generous and offered me a ride on a brand new bike I almost feel obligated to buy from him when I make my purchase. Maybe I just have too much guilt here. After all, I have demoed many bikes I never purchased. Thoughts?

p.s. I'm not really a fan of the white either!

Shep
Back to top Go down
TBird1

TBird1

PostSubject: Re: Do you ever feel obligated to buy?   Do you ever feel obligated to buy? EmptyFri Mar 18, 2011 6:44 pm

With guilt, as with most things, YMMV. If you're doing business with him already, I would be inclined to buy the bike from him. I like supporting the dealers that we need to support our toys. What would we do if they all went out of business? Even the used-bike market would eventually shrivel up. If you've got the coin, buy it. You'll have a bike with zero miles, no "baggage" and a warranty! Just remember: negotiate, don't capitulate.
Back to top Go down
BuilderBob

BuilderBob

PostSubject: Re: Do you ever feel obligated to buy?   Do you ever feel obligated to buy? EmptyFri Mar 18, 2011 7:18 pm

TBird1 wrote:
With guilt, as with most things, YMMV. If you're doing business with him already, I would be inclined to buy the bike from him. I like supporting the dealers that we need to support our toys. What would we do if they all went out of business? Even the used-bike market would eventually shrivel up. If you've got the coin, buy it. You'll have a bike with zero miles, no "baggage" and a warranty! Just remember: negotiate, don't capitulate.

^^^ Well put.
Back to top Go down
shep

PostSubject: Re: Do you ever feel obligated to buy?   Do you ever feel obligated to buy? EmptyFri Mar 18, 2011 8:42 pm

I tend to agree. I like to offer my support locally as much as possible. Not only bikes, but most things in general. I started riding Beemers and Ducs several years ago and have to go out of town for those. A few years ago, I decided to buy an FJR and instead of heading out of town where the deals were at, I negotiated for a fair deal with this same Yamaha dealer. Win/win. I will let you know how it turns out. If he can offer a better deal on one model over the other, that's probably the one I will buy, as I don't care if it is an R or X. I plan to buy a second set of wheels either way. Thanks for the thoughts.

Shep
Back to top Go down
X-Racer

X-Racer

PostSubject: Re: Do you ever feel obligated to buy?   Do you ever feel obligated to buy? EmptyFri Mar 18, 2011 10:18 pm

I'm imagining that he'd give you the best new bike deal around without much negotiation. He knows he has your business already in some areas. He'll see you in the shop more after purchase.

Having had a family owned M/C shop, I know they don't make much on the bikes themselves anyways.

Yea...there is the set-up and misc BS stuff that most throw in but on the bikes themselves they don't make much.

Your dilemma is the take out of the showroom price drop. ...but if you plan on keeping it for a long time it is obviously amortized day-by-day. When I buy expensive outdoor gear (Gore-Tex etc) I divide buy the number of days/yr x #years use and it's always an easy decision.

I'd buy it from him and never look back. Like Bob says, we're pretty much all in this financial mess together. If his shop goes, then where will you go ?

Back to top Go down
skierd

PostSubject: Re: Do you ever feel obligated to buy?   Do you ever feel obligated to buy? EmptyFri Mar 18, 2011 11:15 pm

If you're looking for a used bike, let your dealer buddy know that up front. If he still has no problem letting you test ride, well he knows your intentions and you shouldn't feel obligated. I'd rather buy a new bike than a used bike unless its from someone I know takes care of their machines, never know how creative the previous owner got with their modifications or 'fixes'. I also have a horrible eye for buying used vehicles and often fall irrationally in love with basket cases, ymmv.

So, for me, buy new from your dealer buddy/business partner. Then get your depreciation's worth out of it and RIDE RIDE RIDE! wings
Back to top Go down
shep

PostSubject: Re: Do you ever feel obligated to buy?   Do you ever feel obligated to buy? EmptySat Mar 19, 2011 12:53 pm

Just got back from a 25 mile ride on the X. As someone mentioned, I let him know that I had originally intended to purchase used, but considering his generous offer, our relationship and my belief in supporting local business, I decided I would purchase new from him instead. It will be about a week or so before the sale of my business is final. He knows that and if he sells it before I get there, no problem. Otherwise, I expect to be putting a WRX in the garage in the next couple weeks. Thanks for the comments. I look forward to becoming part of the community.

Shep
Back to top Go down
skierd

PostSubject: Re: Do you ever feel obligated to buy?   Do you ever feel obligated to buy? EmptySat Mar 19, 2011 2:13 pm

cheers
Back to top Go down
TBird1

TBird1

PostSubject: Re: Do you ever feel obligated to buy?   Do you ever feel obligated to buy? EmptySat Mar 19, 2011 6:54 pm

Welcome aboard!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Do you ever feel obligated to buy?   Do you ever feel obligated to buy? Empty

Back to top Go down

Do you ever feel obligated to buy?
Page 1 of 1