Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Tires and handling

Go down 
+5
zestymac
Arkmage
cryptomundo
Gundy
Rapid Dog
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Rapid Dog

Tires and handling Empty
PostSubject: Tires and handling   Tires and handling EmptyThu Jan 19, 2012 3:44 pm

Getting some R wheels for the X.

I've read hundreds of threads on dualsport (and other) tires. It always seems that answers to the questions are about longevity.
Personally I give a shucks about wear. Especially on a minibike like the 250.
What I like to hear about is how well the tire works on multiple terrain.
Handling is more important than mileage in my book.

On my big bikes, after mucho experimento, I settled on the Mefo Explorere for the best all-around 50/50 tire.
But that was on a 950 Adventure.

Now that I have the lil X'er I'm wondering if the Mefo would be best, or maybe something a bit more aggressive like the D606.
Since I'll mostly be doing fireroads and desert I figure the Meef's would be adequate.
I want a DOT tire that will also do the pavement (turns) with good results. Here the Mefo shined.

Mayebthe D606 is the answer...I'm all ears... :hmmm:
Back to top Go down
Gundy

Tires and handling Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tires and handling   Tires and handling EmptyThu Jan 19, 2012 5:57 pm

LOTS of opinions on this , D606, T63, K270s, various Mitas.....I don't think you will go wrong with any of them since it looks like your riding is dry, rocky terrain. My next combo will be D606 rear paired with a Scorpion All Pro Enduro up front, but that is for limited pavement time. T63s would be a little more pavement friendly and still very solid when aired down...and CHEAP.
Back to top Go down
cryptomundo

Tires and handling Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tires and handling   Tires and handling EmptyThu Jan 19, 2012 6:16 pm

I recently decided to replace my 606's with a more street oriented tire (distanzias) because I am planning to get a second set of wheels for offroad tires. The 606's were pretty good both on and off road but not great on some stuff. The biggest problem I had with them was climbing hills with loose dirt/sand was difficult with the 606's .. everything else seems ok .. just heavy duty tires which im sure if why you get lots of miles from them .. they are a bit noisy depending on the pavement .. I remember one time when I first put them on the bike I was on the highway and the pavement changed and suddenly it sounded like someone was about to run me over .. then I realized it was me making all that noise .. but for the most part the noise was acceptable. I personally would prefer a lighter and more aggresive offroad set of tires and like you I dont care about the wear .. not sure if I will go non-dot or dot, but I wont go with the 606's for the new dirt wheels. Im not sure how the Shinko 244 tires would do in the desert but from what I have read it seems people like them both on and offroad .. they are lighter than the 606's and seem to have a long life .. I have a new set waiting to try out
Back to top Go down
Rapid Dog

Tires and handling Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tires and handling   Tires and handling EmptyThu Jan 19, 2012 6:44 pm

who makes the T63?
Back to top Go down
cryptomundo

Tires and handling Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tires and handling   Tires and handling EmptyThu Jan 19, 2012 7:05 pm

Michelin .. interesting tire as well
Back to top Go down
Arkmage

Tires and handling Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tires and handling   Tires and handling EmptyThu Jan 19, 2012 8:26 pm

a lot of folks seem to like the michelin AC10s also... the price is pretty reasonable and the tread design is aggressive as hell.
Back to top Go down
zestymac

zestymac

Tires and handling Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tires and handling   Tires and handling EmptyThu Jan 19, 2012 9:11 pm

I have an X with swapped R wheels and I like like the T63's. I went with a 130 in the back and the 90/90 up front. Maybe a 1000 combo miles ( more street/dirt road oriented) they seem to hook up well most places and are not too noisy... Recommendo!
Back to top Go down

Tires and handling Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tires and handling   Tires and handling EmptyThu Jan 19, 2012 9:21 pm

Pirelli MT-21 Rallycross is my choice.

My first 9K miles were 80/20 highway/off-road and I was okay with the stock Bridgestone TW-301/302. They were great on the pavement and worthless off-road unless I removed about half the air pressure when I hit gravel or dirt. I went through 2 rear tires and would have gone with a 3rd, but my ride options changed.

I am now using my WRR about 70/30 off-road. I elected to go with the Pirelli MT-21's and could not be more pleased with them. Slighly different feel on pavement which took some time to get used to. I also know that they will not hold up as long on pavement either, but the difference off-road is amazing. No more feeling like I am riding on marbles on the gravel and no more sliding off the sides of every dirt rut. Just point and shoot... Hill climbs that used to be a challenge are no longer difficult. I can feel the bite of the MT-21's as I roll on the power. I am now a big fan of these tires.
Back to top Go down
Rapid Dog

Tires and handling Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tires and handling   Tires and handling EmptyFri Jan 20, 2012 1:14 pm

Though I'm a full on Mefo guy, I'm probably going to try the T63s for kicks.
Just ordered my wheels from Warp 9, awesome deal.

What's the recommended size for an 18" rear?
I see that I'm already getting the chain hitting the tire with the 17" rear and stock tire...
Back to top Go down
sturgeon

sturgeon

Tires and handling Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tires and handling   Tires and handling EmptyFri Jan 20, 2012 1:55 pm

Rapid Dog wrote:
Though I'm a full on Mefo guy, I'm probably going to try the T63s for kicks.
Just ordered my wheels from Warp 9, awesome deal.

What's the recommended size for an 18" rear?
I see that I'm already getting the chain hitting the tire with the 17" rear and stock tire...

I'm using a 120-80/18 T63. Not much mileage on it yet since I just put it on in late November and haven't done a lot since. If I thought I could easily unfreeze the garage door, I'd take it out today to see how it does in the snow wink
Back to top Go down
Arkmage

Tires and handling Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tires and handling   Tires and handling EmptyFri Jan 20, 2012 7:44 pm

Rapid Dog wrote:

What kind of condition is your chain in? I had a similar problem because the chain was worn the hell out. Still looked fine but had no resistance to side/side play at all.
Back to top Go down
Rapid Dog

Tires and handling Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tires and handling   Tires and handling EmptyFri Jan 20, 2012 11:02 pm

bike has 956 miles on it...BUT the PO had the chain too tight, so may be the problem...
Back to top Go down
DragonNester

DragonNester

Tires and handling Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tires and handling   Tires and handling EmptySat Jan 21, 2012 8:39 am

ddvorak wrote:
Pirelli MT-21 Rallycross is my choice....

Me too. The TW302 doesn't give enough push off-road.

I researched all that would fit the same as the original oem's, and decided the MT21 would suit what I want from a tire the best (among a couple of others). Time will tell. Not looking for long life but much better bite off road.

I've had D606's before on my ex-DRZ and although I like them on the rear, the front ones didn't wear well....weird tread wear pattern, scalloping and cupping in the middle section of the tire. I think there's too much space between the lugs in the middle causing the cupping pattern to evolve with heavy road use...just my theory, mind you.
Back to top Go down
Rapid Dog

Tires and handling Empty
PostSubject: T43   Tires and handling EmptyMon Jan 30, 2012 2:15 pm

Well, got the Warp 9s (47T rear) and Michelins on.
Happy to report they do quite well on the street and great overall in the desert.
Did 185 miles yesterday and the lil X did it all iwth aplmb.
Very very happy with the bike and the tires... bannana bannana bannana

Tires and handling Desert10

Tires and handling Desert11

Tires and handling 2bikes10
Back to top Go down
blackheart

blackheart

Tires and handling Empty
PostSubject: MT43's...Performance that I can feel   Tires and handling EmptySat Feb 04, 2012 7:43 pm

Never thought a tire would make that much of a difference. After running 606's forever I simply got to thinking that more tread on the ground has to be better, especially in the rocks and hard pack we ride on.

So gave the MT43 a shot and man what a difference ! My confidemce in the rocky stuff has shot way up, and these tires work as part of the suspension. DOT apporved they also have been fine by me, but I am not a hard pusher in twisties. And the tire has nothing to do with that.

I did a a ride from NM to GA with a stop in Beg Bend where I got a dirt fix.

I am with " Rapid Dog " in that performance is key. What price fun after all, and the MT43 has for sure made my riding way more fun!
Back to top Go down
Rapid Dog

Tires and handling Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tires and handling   Tires and handling EmptySat Feb 04, 2012 8:04 pm

I'm running the T-63s, DOT and all.
About $150 for the pair including new HD tubes.

Tires and handling 0000-Michelin-T63-Dual-Sport-Rear-Tire---
Back to top Go down
outlaw230

outlaw230

Tires and handling Empty
PostSubject: Shinko 244   Tires and handling EmptyTue Feb 28, 2012 11:35 am

I put the Shinko 244's on my X. 4.6 front, 5.1 rear. They are different from those stock street tires, but I love them. On road you are losing some performance, but off road they are sooo much better. Still a little shaky in real thick mud/ sand. $95 for the pair shipped to my door from motorcycle superstore, and they fit great on the stock X wheels.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Tires and handling Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tires and handling   Tires and handling Empty

Back to top Go down

Tires and handling
Page 1 of 1