Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

WR290R Big Bore installed update with Dyno info

Go down 
+46
Niewski11
pbnut
silentwolf
miniceptor86
motocrossmann
BuilderBob
wildhair
ROK
dc4stroke
jeffpack1957
Jäger
YZEtc
Akasy
Medski
0007onWR
NihonWRX
mattf
Farmer17
RichardU
mtntrails
RT3856
ZED
Machtig
Crazy Monkey
King Wolf
matttys
28marcb
bikepsych
lukachuki
PonchoV
malibu_dan
boogn1sh
Thumpthing Old
eakins
Noppy
Money$hift
WRoldman
sswrx
asheville thumper
dmulk
Crawdaddy
mtb
jacque372
greer
Pancho
dbparti
50 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
RichardU

WR290R Big Bore installed update with Dyno info - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: WR290R Big Bore installed update with Dyno info   WR290R Big Bore installed update with Dyno info - Page 3 EmptyTue Jul 13, 2010 11:38 pm

ZED wrote:
You put yours on last year didn't you Richard? What kind of run time do you have on it now?
You remembered. So I went and got the numbers. The big bore went on at 2,500 miles. The stock rear tire lasted 4,400 miles. Now I'm at 7,000 miles and the replacement BT-090 is all but showing the threads. So the big bore blows through a rear in 2,600 absolutely fun filled miles. Standard procedure is to blast through the gears at every start. And I take at least one or two opportunities to loft the front wheel on every ride. Plus I use considerable engine braking. I don't think my brake light is ever on except for the last bit of coming to a stop.

I have three WRs, each in a different state of tune.

Daughter's WR250R: AIS gone, airbox gutted, K&N Filter, stock pipe
Wife's WR250R: AIS gone, airbox gutted, K&N Filter, stock pipe with a couple of holes drilled in it, FMF programmer
My WR250X: AIS gone, airbox gutted, K&N Filter, powerbomb/Q4, FMF programmer, thumper racing big bore

I rode them back-to-back this weekend. From Daughter's to Wife's is a noticeable step up. It's hard to quantify, but it is significant. Let's call that amount of improvement X. The step up from the Wife's to My bike is about 2X. Extremely noticeable. Some of that may be that the tires on the X are smaller, but they are also wider, so I don't know if their weight is that much different.

I'll be glad to answer questions.

Last edited by RichardU on Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:11 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
mtntrails

PostSubject: Re: WR290R Big Bore installed update with Dyno info   WR290R Big Bore installed update with Dyno info - Page 3 EmptyWed Jul 14, 2010 6:07 am

RichardU wrote:
mtntrails wrote:
I just pulled the trigger on an Athena 290 Kit (w/o Module) for my 2008 WRR.
I would think the Athena kit documentation would provide the proper settings. I have a Thumper Racing big bore installed with Q4/Powerbomb, no AIS and gutted airbox and I am using: 5 6 8 1 5 4.5

RichardU - Thanks for the post - much appreciated. Sounds like you have quite a few miles on yours since installing the TR kit. The Athena kit normally comes with a preset module, but they give you an option for "w/o module". Are you running a K&N or OEM air filter?
Back to top Go down
RichardU

PostSubject: Re: WR290R Big Bore installed update with Dyno info   WR290R Big Bore installed update with Dyno info - Page 3 EmptyWed Jul 14, 2010 8:14 am

mtntrails wrote:
Are you running a K&N or OEM air filter?
K&N on all of them. I updated my post.

I have 4,500 miles on the big bore. If anything, it seems stronger than it did when new.
Back to top Go down
malibu_dan

malibu_dan

PostSubject: Re: WR290R Big Bore installed update with Dyno info   WR290R Big Bore installed update with Dyno info - Page 3 EmptyWed Jul 14, 2010 1:43 pm

RichardU wrote:
I'll be glad to answer questions.

Richard: Do you have pics and details of the mod to the stock pipe on your wife's WRR? I'd be happy to take this offline or to PM if it feels like a hijack.
Back to top Go down
RichardU

PostSubject: Re: WR290R Big Bore installed update with Dyno info   WR290R Big Bore installed update with Dyno info - Page 3 EmptyWed Jul 14, 2010 1:53 pm

malibu_dan wrote:
Do you have pics and details of the mod to the stock pipe on your wife's WRR? I'd be happy to take this offline or to PM if it feels like a hijack.
It's pretty simple. Pull off the spark arrester. Look down the pipe and you see a baffle about a foot down. Took a long 3/8" or 1/2" drill bit and punch about 2-3 holes in the baffle. The increase in sound is minimal. Spark arrester back on and it's done.

I wish I could say that was scientifically determined to be exactly the right procedure, but I'm not sure. It hasn't hurt, and seems to help. Sounds better anyway.
Back to top Go down
Farmer17

Farmer17

PostSubject: Re: WR290R Big Bore installed update with Dyno info   WR290R Big Bore installed update with Dyno info - Page 3 EmptyWed Aug 11, 2010 4:36 pm

I would like to see some dyno results with the athena big bore kit.
Back to top Go down
mtntrails

PostSubject: Update on 290 Kit    WR290R Big Bore installed update with Dyno info - Page 3 EmptySat Aug 28, 2010 7:44 am

The Athena 290 Kit is installed and complete. I'm flying out on Monday 8/30 (bike stored and ridden out of Las Vegas) for an 8 day ride - probably heading up to Idaho.

About 3 weeks ago the technician installing the 290 Kit had some questions for FMF about the Power Programmer. FMF referred him to Matt at Dobeck Performance - they manufacture the Power Programmer. Matt told the tech that the Power Programmer does not have the "bandwidth" for a big bore kit, but they had a WR250R with the Athena Kit in their shop for R&D to develop a "re-flash" to expand the parameters of the Power Programmer for a big bore kit. My Power programmer was sent to Dobeck performance for the "re-flash" and Matt also set the programmer settings and sent the unit back to the shop. Both the technician and the service manager have taken my bike out for a test ride and both were very happy with the bike's performance.

I'll post another update after the ride. Peace YAM

Back to top Go down
mattf

PostSubject: Re: WR290R Big Bore installed update with Dyno info   WR290R Big Bore installed update with Dyno info - Page 3 EmptySun Aug 29, 2010 10:52 am

Do you have contact info you can share for sending the FMF programmer in to get reset for the big bore kit? thanks

have a great trip.
Back to top Go down
dbparti

dbparti

PostSubject: Re Flash FMF for Athena 290 Big Bore   WR290R Big Bore installed update with Dyno info - Page 3 EmptyFri Sep 03, 2010 12:49 pm

To get your FMF re-flashed for the Athena Big Bore kit. Call 1-877-764-3337. Ask for Matt, He will email you an RMA and directions on where to send it. The FMF Programer is built by Dobeck Performance.
Back to top Go down
NihonWRX

PostSubject: Re: WR290R Big Bore installed update with Dyno info   WR290R Big Bore installed update with Dyno info - Page 3 EmptyThu Jan 13, 2011 1:36 pm

RT3856 wrote:
I just got my Wr a few months ago and can live with it the way it is for now but!
I would like to know how the long term reliability is.
There are a lot of tight woods with big hills and some long mountain passes on the road that I think the added power would make a big difference on.
Thanks for all the posts keep us updated. thumb

I installed an Athena BB kit on my DRZ400. Put 10,000kms on it with about 40 track days where the bike was truly flogged
continusously for about 4hrs each day. Sold it to a friend who uses it for trails riding and he has put on another 5K with no
problems. I think the kit is well made, at least as good as the original parts, and if installed correctly should be just as reliable.

Now considering the BB for the WR1250x I purchased or the turbo from MPFAB.

WR290R Big Bore installed update with Dyno info - Page 3 090508turbowrx
Back to top Go down
0007onWR

0007onWR

PostSubject: Re: WR290R Big Bore installed update with Dyno info   WR290R Big Bore installed update with Dyno info - Page 3 EmptyThu Jan 13, 2011 4:52 pm

Ooooh! man I would love to ride a turbo WR
I am into turbo sleds and the cool thing is double the power and still reliable
The big bore is just slightly improved, 30 hp with big bore, 55 with turbo
There's nothing like turbo power, it's addicting
Back to top Go down
Medski

Medski

PostSubject: Re: WR290R Big Bore installed update with Dyno info   WR290R Big Bore installed update with Dyno info - Page 3 EmptyThu Jan 13, 2011 5:42 pm

thing that bugs me with turbo is that I like to ride trails too...
Back to top Go down
Akasy

PostSubject: Re: WR290R Big Bore installed update with Dyno info   WR290R Big Bore installed update with Dyno info - Page 3 EmptyThu Jan 13, 2011 7:57 pm

[quote="0007onWR"There's nothing like turbo power, it's addicting
[/quote]

You need to ride an XR650R--nothing like cc's...... wings
Back to top Go down
NihonWRX

PostSubject: Re: WR290R Big Bore installed update with Dyno info   WR290R Big Bore installed update with Dyno info - Page 3 EmptySat Jan 15, 2011 9:59 am

XR650R is great for desert riding, but a pig in tight terrain. Also, try kick starting it on a 30 degree incline..............
Had one owner who wanted to leave his as he was so tired of trying to manhandle it on the tight trails.

Here is Japan, there is no registration check on bikes under 250cc, just paperwork.
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: WR290R Big Bore installed update with Dyno info   WR290R Big Bore installed update with Dyno info - Page 3 EmptySat Jan 15, 2011 2:07 pm

NihonWRX wrote:
XR650R is great for desert riding, but a pig in tight terrain. Also, try kick starting it on a 30 degree incline..............

Or, just try getting it started anytime it refuses to start and is feeling a bit stubborn, typically if you dump it when good and hot.
When I go trail riding with my buddy who has one, there are times he's huffin' and puffin' and peeling the riding gear off as he starts sweating.

He hasn't gotten to the point of walking away from it in the middle of the woods, but, he sure brushes-up on his colorful language. ;)
Back to top Go down
Akasy

PostSubject: Re: WR290R Big Bore installed update with Dyno info   WR290R Big Bore installed update with Dyno info - Page 3 EmptySat Jan 15, 2011 8:50 pm

NihonWRX wrote:
Had one owner who wanted to leave his as he was so tired of trying to manhandle it on the tight trails.

Here is Japan, there is no registration check on bikes under 250cc, just paperwork.

no more of a pig than the WRR--I've got both and ride both in all types of riding. they are closely equal in weight and handling you get more watts with the WRR and the button but you get a lot more power with the XRR--it has never failed to pull a hill on me, can't say the same for the WRR it wimps out where the XRR just flat pulls the hill.
Back to top Go down
Akasy

PostSubject: Re: WR290R Big Bore installed update with Dyno info   WR290R Big Bore installed update with Dyno info - Page 3 EmptySat Jan 15, 2011 8:53 pm

YZEtc wrote:
NihonWRX wrote:

Or, just try getting it started anytime it refuses to start and is feeling a bit stubborn, typically if you dump it when good and hot.
When I go trail riding with my buddy who has one, there are times he's huffin' and puffin' and peeling the riding gear off as he starts sweating.

He hasn't gotten to the point of walking away from it in the middle of the woods, but, he sure brushes-up on his colorful language. ;)

Properly jetted and with an understanding of kick starting it poses no issues. Usually starts on second kick when cold--even down in the 30's, hot and dropped--I'vbe done that a lot--3 clearing kicks and one for go--no real issues even on single track in 90+ degrees at over 7000 feet.
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: WR290R Big Bore installed update with Dyno info   WR290R Big Bore installed update with Dyno info - Page 3 EmptySat Jan 15, 2011 9:43 pm

Akasy wrote:
YZEtc wrote:
NihonWRX wrote:

Properly jetted and with an understanding of kick starting it poses no issues. Usually starts on second kick when cold--even down in the 30's, hot and dropped--I'vbe done that a lot--3 clearing kicks and one for go--no real issues even on single track in 90+ degrees at over 7000 feet.

Good to hear you can start yours at will.
No such luck for my buddy. Very happy
Back to top Go down
Akasy

PostSubject: Starting...   WR290R Big Bore installed update with Dyno info - Page 3 EmptyMon Jan 17, 2011 8:41 am

Give your buddy this link maybe it will help. To me the key is always finding true TDC on compression and a full kick. Of course that assumes the jetting is correct. Good luck to your bud.

http://www.dirtrodders.com/xr650r/starttips.html

YZEtc wrote:
Akasy wrote:
YZEtc wrote:
NihonWRX wrote:

Good to hear you can start yours at will.
No such luck for my buddy. Very happy
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: WR290R Big Bore installed update with Dyno info   WR290R Big Bore installed update with Dyno info - Page 3 EmptyMon Jan 17, 2011 9:07 am

I'll let him know...and then duck. :)
He's a supposed thumper fan from waaaaay back in the XR-500R daze. thumb
Back to top Go down
Jäger
Admin
Jäger

PostSubject: Re: WR290R Big Bore installed update with Dyno info   WR290R Big Bore installed update with Dyno info - Page 3 EmptyMon Jan 17, 2011 4:05 pm

Akasy wrote:
Give your buddy this link maybe it will help. To me the key is always finding true TDC on compression and a full kick. Of course that assumes the jetting is correct. Good luck to your bud.

http://www.dirtrodders.com/xr650r/starttips.html
I bear no bike ill will - whatever floats your boat, it's all good to me.

But it does strike me as a WR250R rider, that if you have a bike with a web page dedicated to "starting tips", you're already behind the curve. Especially when accompanied by wishes of "good luck"...

I had a CZ-Jawa MX bike back in the early 70's that required witchcraft to get started. I still have painful memories of that, although I unloaded it as fast as possible. It will be a cold and frosty day in hell before I ever own another bike that is obstinate about starting.
Back to top Go down
jeffpack1957

PostSubject: Re: WR290R Big Bore installed update with Dyno info   WR290R Big Bore installed update with Dyno info - Page 3 EmptyWed Jan 19, 2011 10:24 pm

ah the memories of my 1974 CZ 250. When warm, would start easily, cold, I learned to use starting fluid.
Back to top Go down
0007onWR

0007onWR

PostSubject: Re: WR290R Big Bore installed update with Dyno info   WR290R Big Bore installed update with Dyno info - Page 3 EmptyFri Feb 04, 2011 2:05 am

I was a service tech from early 80's to mid 90's 10 years of that was at a high volume Honda dealer when those big singles were out, there was absolutely nobody who could make them start properly including the engineer's who made them, there were books full of bulletins, home remedies and secret tip's
I still don't like big singles just because of them
They we just one of the atrocities that big H inflicted on the poor unsuspecting public :)
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: WR290R Big Bore installed update with Dyno info   WR290R Big Bore installed update with Dyno info - Page 3 EmptyFri Feb 04, 2011 7:26 am

As for hard starting, an XL-600R straight off the showroom was typically a good one.
Whenever one was sold new off the showroom (or even brought in for service), there was chattering about who was going to have to get it started. :)
Back to top Go down
dc4stroke

dc4stroke

PostSubject: Re: WR290R Big Bore installed update with Dyno info   WR290R Big Bore installed update with Dyno info - Page 3 EmptyFri Feb 04, 2011 8:14 am

As big singles go. I was so glad when Hondas GB500 was released with a electric starter. If it had been kick only.....I would have had to pass it by. I still have nightmares about some of the big bore thumpers I've had. Once warm the GB would start with one kick. Cold.....Ya better follow the routine to the letter. Of course it's kicker was rarely used except when out riding and ya wanted to impress someone.........And it was warmed up.

I do wish the WR had a kicker for backup.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: WR290R Big Bore installed update with Dyno info   WR290R Big Bore installed update with Dyno info - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

WR290R Big Bore installed update with Dyno info
Page 3 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next