Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Question on highway use for big bore/stroker combo

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Carbomb

Carbomb

Question on highway use for big bore/stroker combo Empty
PostSubject: Question on highway use for big bore/stroker combo   Question on highway use for big bore/stroker combo EmptyFri Feb 25, 2022 1:01 pm

Hi all,

I've been told by my mechanic that when I ride with the new Thumper Racing (now DBA Built Motors) 280 kit and Hot Rods stroker crank that I really shouldn't ride on the highway for lengthy periods of time. i decided to have the kits installed for a few reasons:

1) The engine had around 40k mi of use, much of which for canyon carving on-road, a good amount for commuting at high speed on the freeway and some of which from riding out in the desert
2) I definitely wanted more power out of it and the bike has a lot of sentimental value for me at this time, having had it for over 11yrs since new
3) I want to do adventure touring with it, taking long trips both off and on-road

On the 3rd point, there are no doubt going to be long highway stints. It stands to reason that a forged crank and forged 3-ring piston replacement should theoretically be more robust than the stock components. I have not done anything different with the camshafts or valves, and the head had a minor porting when the work was getting done. Tuning will be done by way of a PCV/Autotune setup, basically going with changes recommended by it which theoretically should be optimized for power/efficiency.

Anyone have any higher mileage reports from a BB/stroker set up on theirs? Surely there are owners that don't just do 100% off-road with their bikes. Looking forward to hearing about them.

Thanks!
Sean
Back to top Go down
AdvRich

Question on highway use for big bore/stroker combo Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question on highway use for big bore/stroker combo   Question on highway use for big bore/stroker combo EmptySun Jan 29, 2023 4:19 pm

Back to top Go down

Question on highway use for big bore/stroker combo
Page 1 of 1