Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

License Tag Mod

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Herkypilot

Herkypilot

License Tag Mod Empty
PostSubject: License Tag Mod   License Tag Mod EmptyFri Jan 01, 2010 10:21 am

Well I was tired of looking at the low hanging tag on my R2 so I decided to do something about it. I didn't want to spend $80 - $100
for a replacement unit with a light just to relocate my tag. That's a lot of $$$ for something I can do. I had some scrap aluminum in the garage that would work nicely.

The tag light had already lost the clear cover on the underside.

License Tag Mod IMG_0247

Look on the underside of the plastic to see how it's mounted with a metal bracket with two bolts. I decided I would cut the plastic up to that point where the bend is below the tail light with my Dremel leaving those two mounting positions in tact for stability. Just rough cut it then go back with a small sanding barrel and clean it up a bit. The two arrows are pointing to the two rubber gromets I used on the tag bracket to hold down the vibration stresses on the tag mounting holes. There's also a piece of rubber I used that was under the light mount on the tag bracket. You'll see it on the mount.

License Tag Mod Plastics

Then all you need is a replacement light and a tag bracket to mount. A quick search on Fleabay resulted in these LED's for about $13 for both.

License Tag Mod Leds

Make the bracket to fit. I had some angled aluminum from a previous project that is heavy enough to handle the rigors of riding.

License Tag Mod IMG_0252

The plate mounting holes are 1/2" and the grommets fit right in. As luck would have it, the lights slip snugly into the the grommets. I had to bend some of the angle out to make the tag viewable from behind. I had to use a hammer and my bench vise to take out the amount of bend which would properly display the plate. Test fit the bracket, file here and there, then mark and drill the mounting holes to line up with the two bracket bolts. I mounted the bracket to the bike...

License Tag Mod IMG_0256

The black plastic is not as bad as the above picture looks. Here's another one with a better angle. There's two bushings in the mounting holes in the plastic that makes this a real strong mounting option.

License Tag Mod IMG_0255

The wiring was pretty straight forward and there's plenty of slack on the bike wire to use. I used some flexible wire conduit for protection and liquid electrical tape to weather proof the connections.

And the finished product...

License Tag Mod Plate1

Herkypilot

Last edited by Herkypilot on Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:58 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
inspector

inspector

License Tag Mod Empty
PostSubject: Re: License Tag Mod   License Tag Mod EmptyFri Jan 01, 2010 1:38 pm

Nice, thanks for taking the time to take pics and write-up License Tag Mod 61865
Back to top Go down

License Tag Mod Empty
PostSubject: Re: License Tag Mod   License Tag Mod EmptyFri Jan 01, 2010 6:29 pm

Nice. I like choppers.
Back to top Go down
WRoldman

WRoldman

License Tag Mod Empty
PostSubject: Re: License Tag Mod   License Tag Mod EmptySat Jan 02, 2010 11:45 am

Nice. I am planning the same thing while I am cooped up for Winter.
Back to top Go down
Tammy

Tammy

License Tag Mod Empty
PostSubject: Re: License Tag Mod   License Tag Mod EmptySat Jan 09, 2010 5:51 pm

License Tag Mod Attachment

License Tag Mod Attachment

Nice mod thanks I saved a bit of money on it...
Back to top Go down
Herkypilot

Herkypilot

License Tag Mod Empty
PostSubject: Re: License Tag Mod   License Tag Mod EmptySat Jan 09, 2010 9:55 pm

Thanks all for the compliments. Saving money was my primary goal on this one. If your state doesn't require tag lights and you have some scrap aluminum around the house, this mod is virtually free!

Herkypilot
Back to top Go down
0007onWR

0007onWR

License Tag Mod Empty
PostSubject: Re: License Tag Mod   License Tag Mod EmptySun Jan 10, 2010 1:52 am

Slick, I always like those near free mods too
I did the same thing kind of
The light has exactly the same bolt spacing as the bottom so I just frenched the light right in and bolted it directly to the lower mount and sandwiched in a license plate bracket
Back to top Go down
Herkypilot

Herkypilot

License Tag Mod Empty
PostSubject: Re: License Tag Mod   License Tag Mod EmptySun Jan 10, 2010 7:06 pm

I didn't think about using the existing tag light as mine was already missing the clear lens. That's a good idea though!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

License Tag Mod Empty
PostSubject: Re: License Tag Mod   License Tag Mod Empty

Back to top Go down

License Tag Mod
Page 1 of 1