Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

What Heat Range Spark Plug for an Athena Big Bore Kit?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Sky King

Sky King

What Heat Range Spark Plug for an Athena Big Bore Kit? Empty
PostSubject: What Heat Range Spark Plug for an Athena Big Bore Kit?   What Heat Range Spark Plug for an Athena Big Bore Kit? EmptyTue Feb 28, 2023 10:40 am

I recently bought a 2011 WR250R with a 290 Athena big bore kit installed. I've been going through the whole bike while I'm still snowed in and when I checked the spark plug it had what I considered to be too hot a plug for the modified motor. The stock motor calls for an NGK CR9EK.
What was installed was a CR8EK which is a hotter plug. The big bore kit raises the compression ratio by more than a point and by rule of thumb the heat range of the plug should be dropped by by one heat range to compensate for the bump up in compression and it's added heat so in theory the plug should be an NGK CR10EK.

Does anyone know what heat range plug Athena calls for with this modification?

Does anyone know where I can get the original installation guide that came with this kit?
Back to top Go down
johnkol

PostSubject: Re: What Heat Range Spark Plug for an Athena Big Bore Kit?   What Heat Range Spark Plug for an Athena Big Bore Kit? EmptyTue Feb 28, 2023 5:00 pm

The prudent course of action is to check with Athena themselves, but if they don't specify a change in spark plugs, I wouldn't change from OEM.
Back to top Go down
Sky King

Sky King

PostSubject: Re: What Heat Range Spark Plug for an Athena Big Bore Kit?   What Heat Range Spark Plug for an Athena Big Bore Kit? EmptyTue Feb 28, 2023 6:33 pm

I'd like to contact Athena but haven't found a ph. # or email addy.
Back to top Go down
johnkol

PostSubject: Re: What Heat Range Spark Plug for an Athena Big Bore Kit?   What Heat Range Spark Plug for an Athena Big Bore Kit? EmptyTue Feb 28, 2023 9:51 pm

Athena is an Italian company, you can contact their US distributor in Florida.

Sky King likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sky King

Sky King

PostSubject: Re: What Heat Range Spark Plug for an Athena Big Bore Kit?   What Heat Range Spark Plug for an Athena Big Bore Kit? EmptyThu Mar 02, 2023 6:14 am

Just a follow up should anyone else come across this, I talked to Carl at Pro Cycle and a rep at Athena both say the kit should use the stock heat range plug. Carl pointed out that the Athena cylinder has a larger water jacket which helps in the dissipation of excess heat generated by the additional bump in compression.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What Heat Range Spark Plug for an Athena Big Bore Kit?   What Heat Range Spark Plug for an Athena Big Bore Kit? Empty

Back to top Go down

What Heat Range Spark Plug for an Athena Big Bore Kit?
Page 1 of 1