Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Athena Bigbore Kit Power Programer VS Included Electrical

Go down 
+5
SheWolf
yellowredlight
Dark
jyam
Crazy Monkey
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Crazy Monkey

Crazy Monkey

Athena Bigbore Kit Power Programer VS Included Electrical Empty
PostSubject: Athena Bigbore Kit Power Programer VS Included Electrical   Athena Bigbore Kit Power Programer VS Included Electrical EmptyFri Jun 25, 2010 5:11 pm

Since I along with many others was debating for ever weather it would be better to use a programmer with my big bore kit or the included electrical add on, I thought I had better post my startling findings now that I have tried both.

I had already had the fmf programmer, and with the stock motor and fmf exhaust I was extremely pleased with it, so I left that on at first. the first thing I noticed was that the bike wouldn't idle cold for crap. I ended up turning the idol way up just so it would run. I enjoyed the adjust ability, but was constantly adjusting it just to try to get the bike to run smooth. A quick snap of the throttle was a guaranteed stall when cold and a backfire when warmer. I had noticed that if you watch the leds on the programmer they seemed to have a delayed reaction. This explains a lot. I also noticed when coasting the lights would blink side to side and the bike would back fire a little and be a little slow to come back if I jerked the throttle. once the bike got good and hot it would start to run better, but it never seemed quite right. Constantly playing with the settings was almost a must for almost any ride.

today I took the programmer off and installed the Athena device. The first thing I found myself doing when I started it for the first time was running for a screw driver to turn the idol back down. The second thing I noticed was that I kept hitting the rev limiter accidentally. This never use to happen to me stock or otherwise becaseu the power would drop off long long before reaching the rev limiter, and obviously I would shift. The throttle response was much more consistent, and it came into power much much smoother. If felt like maybe it pulled a little harder at the bottom with the fmf unit, but that is probably an illusion created by the bike falling on its face befor taking off. Over all I think the power is about the same. I did notice a little back firing while letting off, but the bike didn't seem to do anything when this happened. probably just a little fuel ignighting in the exhaust. 450s tent to back fire like crazy when you let off bone stock (yzs anyway not sure about wrs).

I am curious to see if anyone else has tried both. every rider, bike, and area is different so I would expect that not everyone gets the same results.

a quick spec list

WRR (not X)
13/45
fmf power core and power bomb
typical airbox (free) mods
ais removal
Back to top Go down
jyam

jyam

PostSubject: Re: Athena Bigbore Kit Power Programer VS Included Electrical   Athena Bigbore Kit Power Programer VS Included Electrical EmptySat Jun 26, 2010 12:26 pm

Athena Bigbore Kit Power Programer VS Included Electrical 724854 that actually sounds pretty horrible to have have the bike run like shit and always adjusting.It runs too sweet and too fun for that burden and wasted time/ money.
But if ya gotta play ya gotta play.
sounds like you need a bigger/better bike?
I did see it beening done to someone bike around here...But whatever
rip it up...or rip it out!
john
Back to top Go down
Dark

Dark

PostSubject: Re: Athena Bigbore Kit Power Programer VS Included Electrical   Athena Bigbore Kit Power Programer VS Included Electrical EmptyTue Jun 29, 2010 2:13 pm

You probably want to run the Athena module regardless, it's making the necessary changes to the stock configuration to compensate for the added displacement.

You should be able to run a piggy-back computer (FMF or PCIII, I definitely prefer the PCIII) on top of the Athena device so that you're making adjustments on top of the changes being introduced by the Athena unit.
You will need to 'zero' out the map on either FMF or PCIII unless you have a map specifically set for piggy-backing on top of the Athena unit. Your best bet would be to have the FMF/PCIII programmed on a dyno.
Back to top Go down
yellowredlight

PostSubject: Re: Athena Bigbore Kit Power Programer VS Included Electrical   Athena Bigbore Kit Power Programer VS Included Electrical EmptyWed Jun 30, 2010 1:14 pm

i dream about the big bore kit...

would you say the kit is worth it, or is the money better spent on upgrading to a new bike?

this winter I see myself getting this kit or a supplemental bike, would be cool if the kit cured my needs

Last edited by yellowredlight on Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Athena Bigbore Kit Power Programer VS Included Electrical   Athena Bigbore Kit Power Programer VS Included Electrical EmptyWed Jun 30, 2010 1:15 pm

That is an upgrade. I guess it all depends how much more power you want out of it. Going to a whole new bike is an option, depending on how much heavier it might be as well. dunno

A wolf's voice echoed down the mountain 'Share the bounty of the hunt with your brothers and sisters, and forever be strong and free.' Athena Bigbore Kit Power Programer VS Included Electrical Wolf_b10
Back to top Go down
RT3856

RT3856

PostSubject: Re: Athena Bigbore Kit Power Programer VS Included Electrical   Athena Bigbore Kit Power Programer VS Included Electrical EmptyWed Jun 30, 2010 3:22 pm

I keep waiting to read about dependability.
The 290 kit sounds like a great idea. a new bike just wouldn't work for me. I like my WR and won't risk wasting money on something else that probably isn't going to equal the fun factor of the WR.
More power always is a good idea.
Maybe Yamaha will make a WR450R.
Back to top Go down
SpiritWolf15

SpiritWolf15

PostSubject: Re: Athena Bigbore Kit Power Programer VS Included Electrical   Athena Bigbore Kit Power Programer VS Included Electrical EmptyWed Jun 30, 2010 3:27 pm

RT3856 wrote:
I keep waiting to read about dependability.
The 290 kit sounds like a great idea. a new bike just wouldn't work for me. I like my WR and won't risk wasting money on something else that probably isn't going to equal the fun factor of the WR.
More power always is a good idea.
Maybe Yamaha will make a WR450R.

They should make a 400R, it'd be direct competition for the DRZ400.

As for Big bore vs tuner, I'd go with the tuner, simply because the tuner doesn't affect the durability of the cylinder walls and there is no risk of FUBAR'ing the engine during the machining.
Back to top Go down
mattf

PostSubject: Re: Athena Bigbore Kit Power Programer VS Included Electrical   Athena Bigbore Kit Power Programer VS Included Electrical EmptyWed Jun 30, 2010 6:53 pm

I have the athena programmer on mine but I have a slight hiccup at first when I turn the throttle, I lived with it at first but it's bugging me more and more. I was going to try putting my FMF one back on this weekend to see what happens. the hiccup happens whether I barely give it gas or open it all the way up, once passed the hiccup it runs great no matter what I do until I release the throttle and get back on it but anytime I increase the throttle it happens as soon as I increase it.
Back to top Go down
queenslander

PostSubject: Using supplied GPA unit with Athena Big Bore Kit    Athena Bigbore Kit Power Programer VS Included Electrical EmptySun Dec 25, 2011 5:06 am

mattf wrote:
I have the athena programmer on mine but I have a slight hiccup at first when I turn the throttle, I lived with it at first but it's bugging me more and more. I was going to try putting my FMF one back on this weekend to see what happens. the hiccup happens whether I barely give it gas or open it all the way up, once passed the hiccup it runs great no matter what I do until I release the throttle and get back on it but anytime I increase the throttle it happens as soon as I increase it.

Just installed Athena Big Bore Kit with supplied GPA unit and I am experiencing the same hiccup problem.
How did you get around the problem? Need help!

Back to top Go down
mattf

PostSubject: Re: Athena Bigbore Kit Power Programer VS Included Electrical   Athena Bigbore Kit Power Programer VS Included Electrical EmptyWed Dec 28, 2011 7:44 pm

queenslander wrote:
mattf wrote:

Just installed Athena Big Bore Kit with supplied GPA unit and I am experiencing the same hiccup problem.
How did you get around the problem? Need help!

I sent my FMF programmer in to Doebeck (the company that actually manufactures the programer) and they reprogramed it for the big bore kit. when I got that back I just ripped out the unit that came with the big bore and just use the FMF programmer.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Athena Bigbore Kit Power Programer VS Included Electrical   Athena Bigbore Kit Power Programer VS Included Electrical Empty

Back to top Go down

Athena Bigbore Kit Power Programer VS Included Electrical
Page 1 of 1