Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

late model WRR owners, you need to check EVERYTHING!

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
74796a

late model WRR owners, you need to check EVERYTHING! Empty
PostSubject: late model WRR owners, you need to check EVERYTHING!   late model WRR owners, you need to check EVERYTHING! EmptyWed May 24, 2023 1:17 pm

i purchased one of the last new 2020 WR250Rs in the southeast U.S. from Interstate Cycles in Lake City, FL a little over a year ago. i've been busy with work and haven't had a chance to ride much since so i'm just now getting around to some of the basic stuff i'd do to a used bike before riding at around 800 miles because i thought i didn't need to worry about this stuff with a brand new bike (oops).

i'm not sure if they let some 15 year old kid assemble my bike on his first day at work or what, but whoever did it was not even referencing the torque specs. not like stuff that's supposed to be 23nm is 20 or 25, like stuff that's supposed to be torqued down for good reason like axle pinch bolts and the stem nut were barely finger tight and other stuff that's supposed to be under 30nm needed a huge breaker bar to remove. most of the spokes were barely finger tight except a few that were stripped from being overtightened, the lower stem bearing was barely greased and the upper one had not been greased at all, one fork had the compression all the way open while the other had it a couple clicks from fully closed and had the rebound fully closed, the rear spring preload had been cranked all the way down to 175mm when the minimum spec is 206mm, and the chassis swingarm and wheel bearings were all bone dry except for the swingarm which has some kind of graphite lubricant in a couple spots, its definitely not grease.

if i had followed the recommended maintenance and service schedule from the manual without checking anything else i'd have been forced to replace steering and wheel bearings within the first couple thousand miles probably, the wheels themselves the first time they took a big hit, and the forks may or may not already have been damaged by the opposite settings. i'm not sure if having the rear spring cranked that far past its minimum spec will have caused any other issues or not.

I drove from Birmingham, AL to Lake City, FL to pick the bike up so they knew I was coming and had several days to prep the bike if they had not done so already. When I called them after realizing what a basket case the bike was they said ALL of it is Yamaha's fault and they just put oil in the bikes and have zero responsiblity for any of the final assembly or pre sale prep. If you've ever been around a bike dealership in the U.S. you know this is complete BS so I'll have to satisfy myself with leaving them a fresh 1 star review on google every time I find something else that was "overlooked" by whoever assembled my bike.

if you have a late model WR it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to check most of the important torque specs and whether the bearings and chassis have been greased properly at a minimum...
Back to top Go down
johnkol

late model WRR owners, you need to check EVERYTHING! Empty
PostSubject: Re: late model WRR owners, you need to check EVERYTHING!   late model WRR owners, you need to check EVERYTHING! EmptyWed May 24, 2023 8:38 pm

The wheels come fully assembled from the supplier, so if spoke tension was not set correctly that's not on the dealer (unless someone there actively sabotaged the bike).

In fact, the bikes come almost fully assembled from the factory, the only things not attached are the handlebars and the front wheel. But again, if someone at the dealership wanted to sabotage the bike, there's no telling what they could have done.

Have there been similar complaints about this dealership?
Back to top Go down

late model WRR owners, you need to check EVERYTHING!
Page 1 of 1