Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

check engine light issues

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Machtig

check engine light issues Empty
PostSubject: check engine light issues   check engine light issues EmptySat Jan 16, 2010 8:41 pm

So recently my check engine light will "blink" on and off while I'm riding. It doesn't stay lit, but seems to blink at a fairly constant rate. Neither the service manual nor the owners manual says much about this, though the service manual does show a blinking mode but only for certain reasons (ie the lean angle sensor, etc) and that the bike will not run when it is blinking. This leads me to believe that a.) my bike is possessed or b.) some issue is coming in and out at a fairly regular rate and causing the light to flash. I'll try to get a video of it with my GoPro camera.

The bike continues to run while this is happening, and doesn't seem speed or rpm dependent, and does not throw a code in the multifunction display. I'm going to AutoZone now to buy a multimeter, because another "issue" I'm having is weak starting (ie the battery isn't fully charged), so I'm thinking the check engine light and weak starting may be linked due to a generator that is on its way out or a faulty battery.

I think I've also got the dreaded fuel pump issue as well as last week (before the check engine light issues) the bike would randomly stall, and start up again after a few tries. Its been pretty chilly here in Monterey so once it warms up I think I'm gonna have problems.

Someone shoot me in the head GAHHHH
Back to top Go down
greer

PostSubject: Re: check engine light issues   check engine light issues EmptySun Jan 17, 2010 7:39 am

I feel for you; please keep us posted. From what we've seen, Yamaha takes care of the fuel pump issue.

Sarah
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: check engine light issues   check engine light issues EmptySun Jan 17, 2010 8:18 am

Before you do a J.F.K., make 101% sure your battery is fully charged AND tests as being good on a battery tester made for your size battery.
It's common for motorcycle dealers to have a battery tester like this. :)
Back to top Go down
Machtig

PostSubject: Re: check engine light issues   check engine light issues EmptySun Jan 17, 2010 2:16 pm

greer wrote:
I feel for you; please keep us posted. From what we've seen, Yamaha takes care of the fuel pump issue.

Sarah
Good to know, thanks.

YZEtc wrote:
Before you do a J.F.K., make 101% sure your battery is fully charged AND tests as being good on a battery tester made for your size battery.
It's common for motorcycle dealers to have a battery tester like this. :)
The battery is at 12.6 volts with the key off and shows ~13.8 with the bike running so it seems the the generator is putting out. I took the battery to AutoZone with me, but their machine couldn't load test it. I'll try to find someplace that can. When I removed the battery, the negative post was very slightly loose, so that may be the whole problem. I'll find out soon enough.
Back to top Go down
inspector

inspector

PostSubject: Re: check engine light issues   check engine light issues EmptySun Jan 17, 2010 3:02 pm

Machtig wrote:

I think I've also got the dreaded fuel pump issue as well as last week (before the check engine light issues) the bike would randomly stall, and start up again after a few tries. Its been pretty chilly here in Monterey so once it warms up I think I'm gonna have problems.

Doesn't sound like the "dreaded fuel pump" at all. IMHO once you get the battery issue squared away, it will be all good. Work on that first. check engine light issues 61865
Back to top Go down
Machtig

PostSubject: Re: check engine light issues   check engine light issues EmptyTue Jan 19, 2010 5:18 pm

It appears that the slow starting and check engine light was due to the slightly loose negative terminal.

Time will tell on the fuel pump.

baldy
Back to top Go down
greer

PostSubject: Re: check engine light issues   check engine light issues EmptyWed Jan 20, 2010 8:16 am

Well that's good news.

Sarah
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: check engine light issues   check engine light issues Empty

Back to top Go down

check engine light issues
Page 1 of 1