Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Is the WRR the right bike for me

Go down 
+4
skierd
malibu_dan
SheWolf
bikerider
8 posters
AuthorMessage
bikerider

Is the WRR the right bike for me Empty
PostSubject: Is the WRR the right bike for me   Is the WRR the right bike for me EmptyFri Feb 12, 2010 1:30 pm

New guy here,

So I'm looking to get a dual sport and trying to decide on which bike to buy. Originally planned on getting a KLR, but my 7 y.o. son has his heart set on getting a quad. So I need a much ligher bike that I can chase him around in the desert and dirt for the next 10 years, go for some short 30-40 mile off road rides and I know it's a stretch, but ride from Orange County, CA to Death Vally and maybe down Baja.

The KLR is definitely out, so that really leaves 2 bikes, the WRR and DRZ 400. It seems both bikes have about the same limit on top speed, but the DRZ has more power for cruising hills on the highway. I prefer the WRR because it seems to be better quality, has FI, and a 6th gear and will do 90% of what I'll be doing better than the DRZ.

Of those that have had both which is the preference and why? I'm sure this topic has been discussed, but couldn't find it here. I have a Ducati Monster for my road trips, canyon ride, commuting.
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Is the WRR the right bike for me   Is the WRR the right bike for me EmptyFri Feb 12, 2010 3:07 pm

bikerider wrote:
I prefer the WRR because it seems to be better quality, has FI, and a 6th gear and will do 90% of what I'll be doing better than the DRZ.

Welcome to the pack! Sounds like you already know what you want. Is the WRR the right bike for me 810411 The R² also can't be beat for fuel mileage vs that bike. I don't own a 400 but I know someone else who does and he likes mine better. Is the WRR the right bike for me 29721 Said it's more fun to ride.

malibu_dan

PostSubject: Re: Is the WRR the right bike for me   Is the WRR the right bike for me EmptyFri Feb 12, 2010 3:12 pm

No DRZ400 in the mix, but the HighFive Shootout gives you many, many side by side comparisons of the Lil' Blue bike.

You've already got the gist, but what you didn't mention is that the DRZ gearbox is not even in the same league for dual sporting. Most peeps are regearing the 250 for a little more low end grunt and still getting all the top end out of her. Plus she's buttery smooth on the slab.

http://www.wrrdualsport.com/shoot-out
Back to top Go down
skierd

PostSubject: Re: Is the WRR the right bike for me   Is the WRR the right bike for me EmptyFri Feb 12, 2010 10:23 pm

I had a DRZ400S with a 3x3 mod, rejetted. Honestly you can't go wrong with either bike really imo.

The DRZ has a much more uncomfortable saddle, which can be fixed with an aftermarket seat, and is much much much buzzier on road at highway speeds because of its short gearing, which really can't be fixed. Mine was also extremely cold blooded and the small stock battery hated cold. DRZ's also have a couple significant must-do reliability mods whereas the WRR just needs the standard dual sport skid plate, rad guard (only one!), and hand guards. It is a lot more powerful than the WRR though, even nearly bone stock, so the big difference is smoothness, fuel injection simplicity, low maintenance, reliability, and comfort vs. more power.
Back to top Go down
bikerider

PostSubject: Re: Is the WRR the right bike for me   Is the WRR the right bike for me EmptySat Feb 13, 2010 3:05 am

Sounds like the Yamaha is the right bike for me. Now to negotiate price. There are several dealers here in so cal and the price between an 09 and 10 varies by about $800. Also I'm not the tallest at 5' 9" so might need to adjust the height a little bit.

Thanks for the info.
Back to top Go down
jason meacham

jason meacham

PostSubject: Re: Is the WRR the right bike for me   Is the WRR the right bike for me EmptySat Feb 13, 2010 4:15 pm

When I bought my wrr in august of 08 I went to the dealership all set to buy a DRZ400. The dealership told me they sold their last one and he might have a hard time finding one for me.On my way out the door I saw the wrr and ended up buying it.I'm glad I ended up with the wrr now that I've put almost 6000 miles on it. Off road it's perfect for me but on the road I wish it had more power. I'm hopeing to fix that when I put on a pipe and powercommander.
Back to top Go down
dragonfire

PostSubject: Re: Is the WRR the right bike for me   Is the WRR the right bike for me EmptySun Feb 14, 2010 6:54 am

I like mine alot its not the most high powered bike but it is fun im not a hard core rider anyway so works super for what i do the only mods ive done is 12 tooth front sprocket and riser and higher bars.
Back to top Go down
RT3856

RT3856

PostSubject: Re: Is the WRR the right bike for me   Is the WRR the right bike for me EmptyMon Feb 15, 2010 12:50 am

I sold my KLR two weeks ago.
Friday the 12th I bought a used 08.
Well I am smiling Is the WRR the right bike for me 61865 this bike is fun.
I zipped down I-5 and 70 isn't a problem.
The bike has stock gearing and a Dr.D exhaust no airbox mod no programmer.
Well this bike is so much more the trail bike than My KLR.
A trail I got stuck on with the KLR wasn't a problem with the WR. Is the WRR the right bike for me 379944
never rode a DRZ so can't compare but I am 230 and the bike is great!
Of course more power is always better but! the fun factor is so much higher on the WR it will be a while before I complain "if ever"
Good luck finding a new ride Is the WRR the right bike for me 93746
Back to top Go down
bash3r

bash3r

PostSubject: Re: Is the WRR the right bike for me   Is the WRR the right bike for me EmptyTue Feb 16, 2010 3:00 am

Well here's my .02 cents.. don't forget about your son! Do HIM & yourself a favor and go with the WR, during a day's riding you won't be as tired from handling the WR compared to the DRZ, your son will thank you after hrs and hrs of riding, instead of worn out dad poop'n out and heading back to the trailer Is the WRR the right bike for me 61865
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Is the WRR the right bike for me   Is the WRR the right bike for me EmptyTue Feb 16, 2010 11:07 am

Is the WRR the right bike for me 851577 Yeah, that wouldn't be a good thing.

"Dad, c'mon! You're too slow!"

*pant huff huff pant wheeze* "Hang on there son...*pant*...I hit a bump and it knocked the wind outta me..." *cough pant wheeze pant*

"You shoulda got that cool blue bike..."

*wheeze pant huff* "I shoulda done...*cough*... a lot of things..." *pant grumpble cough wheeze*

PostSubject: Re: Is the WRR the right bike for me   Is the WRR the right bike for me EmptyTue Feb 16, 2010 12:23 pm

You guys do have a sense of humor along with being well informed. My idea of the DRZ is that it is same technology of the older klr's. From what I've read though the DRZ only weigh's 20'lbs more right?

I've decided on the WR, just trying to find a gently used bike while I'm saving up for a new one!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is the WRR the right bike for me   Is the WRR the right bike for me Empty

Back to top Go down

Is the WRR the right bike for me
Page 1 of 1