Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

newb questions

Go down 
+9
turboedmsp
inspector
Hertz
olddog
Six8
greer
YZEtc
Max Pwr
skysurfer2010
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
skysurfer2010

newb questions Empty
PostSubject: newb questions   newb questions EmptyThu Mar 04, 2010 6:12 am

(Yes I used the search function first)

I wanted to get this bike since the first day I saw it. I've always wanted a street bike but never bought one because I was too afraid of getting killed on it (live in NJ) or hurting myself and losing my job due to an injury. But I'm thinking that the smaller cc will keep me off most of the highways and will be used mostly around town to cruise around on and also some trails. Plus what's life worth living if you don't actually live? As a newb I have a few questions, though.

Is this an ok bike to begin on if you have absolutely no experience other than bycycles? I've never even ridden a dirt bike and I know it's not the best idea to buy a brand new bike for a first bike. But I can't see myself spending money on something else that I don't want.

Does anyone know of anyplace to ride some dirt legally in NJ? If not, does anyone know how to go about finding out where to ride?

Does anyone have a pickup with a 6 foot bed? If so, does this bike fit diagonally in your bed or do you keep your tailgates down? I have an 07 toyota tacoma with the extended bed. Ideally I'd like to be able to take my boat and the bike on vacations with me so keeping the tailgate down would be a problem for me.

This is a dumb question that I'm sure I'd learn quickly on my own.... but how exactly do you get your bike out of the back of your pickups? Obviously you can ride it up into the bed, but I doubt you'd ride it down in reverse. I assume with two people it might be easy enough to walk it down, but is it possible to do with only one person?

I plan on pulling the trigger in about a month. I plan on getting my permit next week and then taking a basic riders course next month. I'm sure I'll have more questions as I think of them. Thanks in advance!
Back to top Go down
Max Pwr

Max Pwr

newb questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: newb questions   newb questions EmptyThu Mar 04, 2010 7:41 am

G'day mate! To answer a few of your Q's....Yes this bike would be okay to learn on, sure you may prefer an air cooled unit so as not to risk damaging the radiator in a fall (that's what rad guards are for, I know) but other than that it can be as mild mannered or as hard hitting as you want. As long as you understand the concept of a manual transmission and have an acceptable level of hand/eye/foot co-ordination you should be right as rain. As for the riding in NJ, can't help ya there brother, I'm in Australia. Try googling it. I have a Ford Falcon Ute (pickup) with a 1.8m tray (6 foot bed) and yes, it does hang over the tailgate. What I do for my own peace of mind is use an extra ratchet strap from the tie down points in the rear corners of the tray and loop it under my tow-ball so the tailgate comes back up as far as is possible, this should enable you to still hitch up your boat. Otherwise, it should fit diagonally, I just don't like to do it that way, call me weird I know, but I prefer my bike to be straight...Also I usually take a mate's bike with me as he got done DUI a while back and is still suspended from driving (I bloody HATE being Designated driver, no post-ride beers for me until we hit home).We dirtbikers are a bright bunch and use what's called a ramp to load/unload our bikes. I personally only use one ramp as I can step up/down as I am loading/unloading my bike (I don't ride up since I saw a mate go straight through his back window in his Toyota Hilux a while back). If you feel unsure of whether you could do this, use the engine as you walk the bike up, and if you cannot simply step up into your tray, use two ramps (one for the bike and one for you to walk up/down. Bikes like the WRR do not have a reverse gear...Hope some of this helps! Happy hunting for your shiny new WRR...Cheers, Max.
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

newb questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: newb questions   newb questions EmptyThu Mar 04, 2010 7:53 am

newb questions Up_arrow newb questions Down_arrow

newb questions Icon_profile_en newb questions Icon_pm_en newb questions Icon_email
Is this an ok bike to begin on if you have absolutely no experience other than bycycles? I've never even ridden a dirt bike and I know it's not the best idea to buy a brand new bike for a first bike. But I can't see myself spending money on something else that I don't want.

I'd say it's OK to learn on.
I often recommend a dual-purpose bike as a first bike for relative light weight and ease of manouverability vs. a beginner wanting the typical GSX-R or YZF-R6 because they've got stars in their eyes.

Does anyone know of anyplace to ride some dirt legally in NJ? If not, does anyone know how to go about finding out where to ride?

There are board members here from NJ., and hopefully they'll see this.
Here in Connecticut, I can read-up on the few legal spots (other than having your own land) by logging onto the CT. state government/DEP website.

Does anyone have a pickup with a 6 foot bed? If so, does this bike fit diagonally in your bed or do you keep your tailgates down? I have an 07 toyota tacoma with the extended bed. Ideally I'd like to be able to take my boat and the bike on vacations with me so keeping the tailgate down would be a problem for me.

I put mine in the back of my 2004 Ford Ranger XL straight-on, so the rear wheel rests on the tailgate/bed junction and the tailgate is down.
I've seen bikes loaded in diagonally and know it can be done, but never did this, myself.
Whatever way you position the bike, you'll need at least one pair of quality tiedowns.

This is a dumb question that I'm sure I'd learn quickly on my own.... but how exactly do you get your bike out of the back of your pickups? Obviously you can ride it up into the bed, but I doubt you'd ride it down in reverse. I assume with two people it might be easy enough to walk it down, but is it possible to do with only one person?

It simply comes out in reverse.
If you are using a loading ramp like I often do, it gets rolled down the ramp backwards.
Can be tricky done solo at first, but with practice, you'll be doing it with your eyes closed.
Back to top Go down
greer

newb questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: newb questions   newb questions EmptyThu Mar 04, 2010 7:55 am

Hello skysurfer,

If you can handle the seat height I'd say the WRR makes a fine first bike. Are you taking the basic course offered by Motorcycle Safety Foundation wherein the learner bikes are provided for you? You'll likely know more about what you want after you actually get some seat time taking the course.

Sarah
Back to top Go down
Six8

Six8

newb questions Empty
PostSubject: Loose the tail gate   newb questions EmptyThu Mar 04, 2010 8:26 am

For your pick up tail gate issue
what about taking the tail gate off?
I have a nice trailer for my ATV so I'm sure Dirtybluez'll ride there too.
Pick er up a week or so newb questions 379944
Back to top Go down
olddog

newb questions Empty
PostSubject: off loading the machine   newb questions EmptyThu Mar 04, 2010 8:55 am

As mentioned use a good strong ramp. If you want to keep the ramp inside the PU bed you are limited to the bed length, and a longer ramp is going to be easier to use. A good trick to use when loading and unloading is to look for a bit of incline that you can back into that reduces the amount of height from the PU bed to the ground, a curb height or a ditch sometimes really helps. It also helps to have a stable box that can be placed midway along the ramp that is used as a step between the ground and PU bed. This may seem like a obvious process, but I would bet we all will admit to dropping a motorcycle loading and unloading, sometimes it's just a good laugh but other times it makes you want to cry.
Back to top Go down
Hertz

Hertz

newb questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: newb questions   newb questions EmptyThu Mar 04, 2010 11:02 am

My Wr250R was my first motorcycle. However I had previously ridden dirtbikes on a couple of occasions and sport quads many times. So, I knew what i was in for as far as how to operate the clutch, gear selector, brakes, etc. The clutch has a very small friction zone, or atleast mine does, that took a good bit of time to get used to.

Over here in central PA we have a very nice loop of dual sport trails if you ever find yourself out this way. Can't help you with NJ. Sorry

My 01 Nissan Frontier's 6 foot bed holds the bike well. I usually just put it in the center. The back tire sits on the bed and just barely hangs over the tailgate. Just enough so that it cant be shut. If I need to shut it I can throw the back end to one of the corners .

However, with the lift and 32" tires its tough for me to get it in and out on my own (I'm a little guy and my bed is about 3ft high.) I usually just grab a friend.
Back to top Go down
inspector

inspector

newb questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: newb questions   newb questions EmptyThu Mar 04, 2010 11:07 am

newb questions Image040-3-1
Back to top Go down
skysurfer2010

newb questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: newb questions   newb questions EmptyThu Mar 04, 2010 3:58 pm

Thanks for all of the helpful info!

I do plan on taking the BRC where the bikes are provided. I found one that offers the KLX250 so I might go for that one since I figure that bike is probably a hell of a lot closer to the WRR than a ninja 250.

As far as the pickup question, it sounds like the bike's rear tire rests on the bed of the truck and just hangs over slightly? As mentioned I could probably just use a ratchet strap and lift the tailgate as far as it goes and see if it clears the boat trailer while in a turn or just take the tailgate off. It's not like I'm going to be towing the boat and bike often. Thanks for all the great (and quick!) replies on this!

I'm not worried about the transmission. I was more concerned about handling a bike on the road. I use to be the head of a watercraft department at a Yamaha stealership. I can ride a sport quad and also use to move the bikes around the lot but only in first gear and never on the road.

Another question.... What kind of gear do most of you wear while on the road? I have a DOT approved MX hemit and goggles (I use to wear it out in the surf when riding my stand up jet skis... a YAM newb questions 93746 superjet... I bleed blue). Is this safe enough vs a full face helmet? What about boots and gloves?
Back to top Go down
skysurfer2010

newb questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: newb questions   newb questions EmptyThu Mar 04, 2010 4:05 pm

As far as ramps go, I was considering these:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_317085-287-R522_0_?productId=3152045&Ntt=ramp&Ntk=i_products&pl=1&currentURL=/pl__0__s?newSearch=true$Ntt=ramp$y=0$x=0
Back to top Go down
turboedmsp

newb questions Empty
PostSubject: this is good one from harbor freight   newb questions EmptyThu Mar 04, 2010 4:43 pm

newb questions 90018

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=90018
Back to top Go down
Hertz

Hertz

newb questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: newb questions   newb questions EmptyThu Mar 04, 2010 4:53 pm

How to handle a bike is something you will just have to learn by doing it. Get a hold of your states motorcycle operators manual and read it, I mean read it. Taking a beginners course is the best possible thing you can do for yourself. The best advice I can give you is never panic. Always keep a level head and keep your eyes open. Just because you are doing everything right doesn't keep grandma in her boat car from pulling out in front of you.

I wear an 08 Fox V3 with a set of Oakley Crowbar MX goggles. Offroad helmets are not good for highway running but they will protect your noggin. As long as your helmet is in good shape and DOT/Snell approved you should be gtg. Other than my lid I wear regular casual clothes. Usually consists of blue jeans and at least a tee shirt in the summer. Oh and gloves are nice to have too.

As far as ramps go, if you plan on loading/unloading along, at least two ramps is a must. Use the straps you tie your bike down with to secure the ramps to the bumper of your truck. Nothing worse than the ramp slipping out and hurting yourself and your bike. newb questions 490865
Back to top Go down
skysurfer2010

newb questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: newb questions   newb questions EmptyThu Mar 04, 2010 6:17 pm

I'm definitely doing the riders course. I'd rather be taught by someone who knows what they're doing than to teach myself and learn bad habits.

That's a nice ramp turbo, but I have a friend that's a manager at Lowes (di$count!) plus I like the fact that the ones i posted fold for easy storage.

I have an HJC off road helmet and I know for a fact it's DOT/SNELL rated. Is this not good enough for the road? How about just riding around town?
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

newb questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: newb questions   newb questions EmptyThu Mar 04, 2010 7:05 pm

You will be fine with the R². Like with any bike, you have to learn how it handles, and respect the power it does have. You can just as easily wipe out and really bung yourself up on this bike like you could on a 600, or an 80 for that matter; it all depends on how alert you are, and make sure to wear the right gear. Take it slow, feel the way the bike handles, and wiping out is all part of the learning curve. The course will help you immensely, and just make sure you have a buddy when you go riding so you've always got help if you run into problems. You can do it, and you'll have a lot of fun with this little gem. newb questions 61865

newb questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: newb questions   newb questions EmptyThu Mar 04, 2010 8:42 pm

Thanks guys. I went to the dealer today to feel out some prices. I've given him some business in the past buying new skis off him plus they know me by face and name as a regular. He said he could get me a new 08 at the auction and quoted me $5,100 plus tax/tags etc. He just threw that number out there, though. I'm not going to pay that for an 08 that he'll prob pick up at the auction for probably $3500 or less I'd assume. But he always likes to play hardball at first. He knows the last time he did it to me I went elsewhere over a $200 difference just because he wanted to play the haggle game. I'll get a price from other local dealers and if he can match it/ beat it I'll give him the business. The worst part is that he knows I use to work for another Yam dealership and I know the games they can play!
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

newb questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: newb questions   newb questions EmptyThu Mar 04, 2010 9:36 pm

Kinda nice when you've got an in on the dirt in that regard. You can't get screwed up the ass that way. I mean, if you're gonna get screwed, you at least want to be able to enjoy it. newb questions 61865

Hertz

newb questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: newb questions   newb questions EmptyThu Mar 04, 2010 9:41 pm

skysurfer2010 wrote:

I have an HJC off road helmet and I know for a fact it's DOT/SNELL rated. Is this not good enough for the road? How about just riding around town?

Sorry, maybe you misread my post. It will be fine for riding on the road. I just meant that they catch wind easily and can throw your head around a bit at higher speeds.
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

newb questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: newb questions   newb questions EmptyThu Mar 04, 2010 9:47 pm

It'll build strong neck muscles. newb questions 810411

newb questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: newb questions   newb questions EmptyThu Mar 04, 2010 10:05 pm

Definitely need boots and gloves, a jacket too if possible. I think maybe the first two are required to take the course. Lots of folks start out using hiking/work boots and hardware store leather gloves; not optimum but at least you'll be covered. I've bought all kinds of used stuff here:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=54

Sarah
Back to top Go down
0007onWR

0007onWR

newb questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: newb questions   newb questions EmptyThu Mar 04, 2010 11:19 pm

By the way the bike is a great fit in the Taco I have an 07 myself
Front wheel in the corner and bike in at an angle, close the tailgate then pull the back tire against the tailgate and tie it down
Those Hokey bed rail tie down hooks Suck Gnewts, I made some hooks that mount to the front bed mount bolts

If you can ride a superjet you can figure out how to balance a bike for sure
Take a rider training course, best money you will ever spend

You will like the bike, have fun
Back to top Go down
skysurfer2010

newb questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: newb questions   newb questions EmptyFri Mar 05, 2010 2:24 am

SheWolf wrote:
Kinda nice when you've got an in on the dirt in that regard. You can't get screwed up the ass that way. I mean, if you're gonna get screwed, you at least want to be able to enjoy it. newb questions 61865

Yeah... not a fan of getting bent over the handle bars! :)

Hertz wrote:
skysurfer2010 wrote:

Sorry, maybe you misread my post. It will be fine for riding on the road. I just meant that they catch wind easily and can throw your head around a bit at higher speeds.

Oh ok, cool. That makes sense. What about just taking the visor part off? I also don't plan on doing much highway. At least not for a while. Something about screaming down the highway doing 75 a few feet away from cars on the side of ya kind of scares the crap out of me right now haha.

greer wrote:
Definitely need boots and gloves, a jacket too if possible. I think maybe the first two are required to take the course. Lots of folks start out using hiking/work boots and hardware store leather gloves; not optimum but at least you'll be covered. I've bought all kinds of used stuff here:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=54

Sarah

Awesome, thanks! I have work boots that I planned on using. I'm sure once I start to get into it and get more adventurous on the dirt I'll pick up a pair of MX boots. The gloves part? I really can't see myself wearing gloves riding around town, but I guess it's better to be safe than sorry.

0007onWR wrote:
By the way the bike is a great fit in the Taco I have an 07 myself
Front wheel in the corner and bike in at an angle, close the tailgate then pull the back tire against the tailgate and tie it down
Those Hokey bed rail tie down hooks Suck Gnewts, I made some hooks that mount to the front bed mount bolts

If you can ride a superjet you can figure out how to balance a bike for sure
Take a rider training course, best money you will ever spend

You will like the bike, have fun

You have good taste my friend! newb questions 61865 I'll plan on using the tie downs on the bed instead of the rail tie downs. I've been wanting to install another set up in the front of the bed for a while now anyway.

Did you have an SJ? I just sold my round nose this winter for a very nice profit. I decided I wanted a boat and if the SJ sold for what I wanted then I'd let it go (definitely asked way more than what it was fairly worth... but I wouldn't have sold it unless I got what it was worth to me haha). It was a sweet free ride ski with so much done to it. I still miss the hell out of it, but I get a lot more use out of the boat.
Back to top Go down
WRRSam

WRRSam

newb questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: newb questions   newb questions EmptyFri Mar 05, 2010 6:00 am

Don't worry about the tail gate we've never had a problem just make sure the front wheel stays straight with the bike.
newb questions Dscn4811
newb questions Dscn4810
My WRR fits on a Holden Colorado tray back with the tail gate up but Ihave never tried it on my Falcon.
Back to top Go down
greer

newb questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: newb questions   newb questions EmptyFri Mar 05, 2010 8:09 am

On the gloves....... a tip-over at the slightest speed can take the hide right off your palms and fingertips; a little more speed will eat past the fingernails. I learned that lesson the hard way a long, long time ago and you can be sure I will never forget it... Listen to me on this.

Sarah
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

newb questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: newb questions   newb questions EmptyFri Mar 05, 2010 10:35 am

Riding without gear is stupid, PERIOD. You can still get road rash with it, but it significantly reduces it, not to mention the armor will save your bacon if you hit a crucial point. newb questions 61865

0007onWR

newb questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: newb questions   newb questions EmptyFri Mar 05, 2010 5:03 pm

SheWolf wrote:
Riding without gear is stupid, PERIOD. You can still get road rash with it, but it significantly reduces it, not to mention the armor will save your bacon if you hit a crucial point. newb questions 61865

I agree with Wuffie, even if it's too hot for a jacket, put your jacket on
I hit my crucial point once and it still hurts!!

When I was in retail I used to tell the guys riding in shorts, "Run as fast as you can, swan dive onto the ground and see what happens to your fleshy bits", none of them ever listened till they ground a square foot of flesh off

I have seen my kneecap, and it was gross, even grosser when the nurse was scrubbing the gravel out, still makes me cringe, By the way, nurses dont feel sorry for motorcyclists with road rash
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

newb questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: newb questions   newb questions Empty

Back to top Go down

newb questions
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next