Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Shinko 705 s on an X

Go down 
+24
mrgreyman
WR250X
deerHater
eflyersteve
dustcloud
Mikechicago
R_Lefebvre
Yaozer
Deadfish
PonchoV
mtb
motokid
rodney
1moreroad
SpiritWolf15
Dancamp
WRoldman
rydnseek
D1EHARD
slolane
YamX1KRR
Mr. Fisherman
SheWolf
superbee24
28 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
superbee24

superbee24

Shinko 705 s on an X - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shinko 705 s on an X   Shinko 705 s on an X - Page 3 EmptyFri Nov 12, 2010 10:39 am

Quick note on Rodney's steering imput issue.

The front tire is much taller than the factory front tire. I slid my forks up into the triple trees approx. 1inch and although it still feels a little heavier than the factory front is was a dramatic improvement.

Back to top Go down
rodney

PostSubject: Re: Shinko 705 s on an X   Shinko 705 s on an X - Page 3 EmptyFri Nov 12, 2010 12:22 pm

superbee24 wrote:

The front tire is much taller than the factory front tire. I slid my forks up into the triple trees approx. 1inch and although it still feels a little heavier than the factory front is was a dramatic improvement.

i raised my forks 10mm, and it was better, but i may be asking too much of the 705 to transition quickly like the pilot powers that were on the bike before. seems like under 30, it transitins quickly, but over 30, it seems that gyroscopic effect comes into play and it is hard to get the wheel to change direction. dunno
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Excellent wearing tires!   Shinko 705 s on an X - Page 3 EmptyFri Nov 12, 2010 1:11 pm

Superbee,

Thank you very much for the excellent detailed input and for the pictures, too!

Those tires are really wearing well.

Regards,

BigFeet

Back to top Go down
superbee24

superbee24

PostSubject: Re: Shinko 705 s on an X   Shinko 705 s on an X - Page 3 EmptyFri Nov 12, 2010 2:04 pm

rodney wrote:
superbee24 wrote:

i raised my forks 10mm, and it was better, but i may be asking too much of the 705 to transition quickly like the pilot powers that were on the bike before. seems like under 30, it transitins quickly, but over 30, it seems that gyroscopic effect comes into play and it is hard to get the wheel to change direction. dunno

Rodney, I was just going off of the pic. that you posted. (No offense intended.) My forks are set deeper into the triple trees. But you are completely correct, it is harder to get a larger/heavier tire to change directions once it gets some speed going. thumb
Back to top Go down
R_Lefebvre

PostSubject: Re: Shinko 705 s on an X   Shinko 705 s on an X - Page 3 EmptyThu Dec 02, 2010 8:29 pm

Has anybody with these tires experienced bad headshake in the dirt/gravel? I can't go over 80 km/h or the bike tries to spit me off. They're absolutely horrible for it. On-road they're fine, and I'm otherwise happy with them.
Back to top Go down
superbee24

superbee24

PostSubject: Re: Shinko 705 s on an X   Shinko 705 s on an X - Page 3 EmptyThu Dec 02, 2010 10:50 pm

R_Lefebvre wrote:
Has anybody with these tires experienced bad headshake in the dirt/gravel? I can't go over 80 km/h or the bike tries to spit me off. They're absolutely horrible for it. On-road they're fine, and I'm otherwise happy with them.

No issues with mine, of course, mine doesn't do that silly Km/h stuff = maybe that's what's causing it poser2
Back to top Go down
Mikechicago

Mikechicago

PostSubject: Re: Shinko 705 s on an X   Shinko 705 s on an X - Page 3 EmptySun Dec 19, 2010 4:11 pm

I run like 95/5 street/off, and when im on the street i like to push those corners! do you think these will hold well on the handleing or should I just stick with SM tires? All my Off Road has to be done "under the radar" and I do want to start playing around with stairs, but I have been using the stocks and they seem ok. New to this so sorry if the question is a stupid one.
Back to top Go down
superbee24

superbee24

PostSubject: Re: Shinko 705 s on an X   Shinko 705 s on an X - Page 3 EmptySun Dec 19, 2010 8:48 pm

Mikechicago wrote:
I run like 95/5 street/off, and when im on the street i like to push those corners! do you think these will hold well on the handleing or should I just stick with SM tires? All my Off Road has to be done "under the radar" and I do want to start playing around with stairs, but I have been using the stocks and they seem ok. New to this so sorry if the question is a stupid one.

I would stick with SM tires for your purpose or go with some Distanzias from Avon. These are great all around tires but since they seem to last forever you do sacrifice some "performance" if you like riding SM style.
Back to top Go down
rodney

PostSubject: Re: Shinko 705 s on an X   Shinko 705 s on an X - Page 3 EmptySun Dec 26, 2010 11:59 pm

ran the shinkos in a snowstorm today. braking traction on hills was non existant. all in all, not something i would want to do again, but it was fun anyway. Very happy

Shinko 705 s on an X - Page 3 Wrx_snow
Back to top Go down
dustcloud

PostSubject: Re: Shinko 705 s on an X   Shinko 705 s on an X - Page 3 EmptyMon Dec 27, 2010 7:59 am

At first I thought u meant breaking traction, then I realized u meant braking traction. How did the tires do as far as driving forward? I been considering a 705 on the front and a 244 on the rear for a little more wet grass uphill traction while still keeping the steering input light on the front. Any thoughts anyone? thanks
Back to top Go down
rodney

PostSubject: Re: Shinko 705 s on an X   Shinko 705 s on an X - Page 3 EmptyMon Dec 27, 2010 11:27 am

dustcloud wrote:
How did the tires do as far as driving forward? I been considering a 705 on the front and a 244 on the rear for a little more wet grass uphill traction while still keeping the steering input light on the front. Any thoughts anyone? thanks

i think they are excellent tires. they suck in the mud/snow/ice. aside from that, i will go anywhere with them. i have a few hillclimb videos on youtube, but i cannot post up the links now (at work). you can search them under "b18c5rodney's channel" thumb
Back to top Go down
dustcloud

PostSubject: Re: Shinko 705 s on an X   Shinko 705 s on an X - Page 3 EmptyWed Dec 29, 2010 9:50 am

subscribed. thanx. thumb
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Shinko 705 s on an X   Shinko 705 s on an X - Page 3 EmptyThu Jan 06, 2011 9:10 pm

dustcloud,

I went to Shinko 244's on both ends due to good input from Scotty (rydnseek).

I'm really liking the tires a lot. I find the steering input to be astonishingly light and the handling is very racy on pavement. I'd read it, but that still surprised me.

One caveat: My 244's took quite a bit of lead to balance. Once balanced, they ride very smooth on the interstates and highways. They're very inexpensive tires that reportedly last a long time, so I don't mind having to balance them. Due to lies from the shop about the tires NOT needing balanced (major BS) I bought my own balancer, so next time it's free anyway.

The 705 might look less odd on the front, though, so there is that.

And, I may go with the 705's next time out if I'm riding more street than dirt then.

Larry
Back to top Go down
rodney

PostSubject: shinko   Shinko 705 s on an X - Page 3 EmptySat Jan 29, 2011 8:57 pm

*EDIT* sold shinkos to eflyersteve, thanks buddy! bow

Last edited by rodney on Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
eflyersteve

PostSubject: Re: Shinko 705 s on an X   Shinko 705 s on an X - Page 3 EmptyMon Feb 28, 2011 10:52 am

rodney wrote:
anyone want a set of used shinko 705's? i picked up a set of 21/18 for dirt duty, so i am going back to pilots for my 17's.

I am interested. What size did you end up with on the rear? I'm still stock wheels on my x. How much tread left and how much were you wanting?
Back to top Go down
deerHater

PostSubject: Shinko 244   Shinko 705 s on an X - Page 3 EmptySat Mar 05, 2011 2:43 pm

BigFeet wrote:
I went to Shinko 244's on both ends due to good input from Scotty (rydnseek).

I'm really liking the tires a lot. I find the steering input to be astonishingly light and the handling is very racy on pavement. I'd read it, but that still surprised me.
What sizes are you running Larry?

How are they on wet pavement?
Back to top Go down
WR250X

WR250X

PostSubject: Re: Shinko 705 s on an X   Shinko 705 s on an X - Page 3 EmptySun Mar 13, 2011 10:23 pm

Just so its not such a large looking front tire, would 120/80-17 front work okay instead of 90 series?
Back to top Go down
mrgreyman

PostSubject: Re: Shinko 705 s on an X   Shinko 705 s on an X - Page 3 EmptyTue Jun 14, 2011 9:39 am

Are these taller than the Avons? Do they make the bike taller?
Back to top Go down
BoredAzHell20

PostSubject: Re: Shinko 705 s on an X   Shinko 705 s on an X - Page 3 EmptySun Jul 10, 2011 11:11 pm

I just order a set today and I was wondering what kind of riding issues will i experience with the front raised a bit higher due to the 90 series tire? would it act more squirmy at high speeds etc...? I already raised the front forks 17mm and don't want to lower the front even more.
Back to top Go down
BoredAzHell20

PostSubject: Re: Shinko 705 s on an X   Shinko 705 s on an X - Page 3 EmptyTue Jul 19, 2011 5:13 pm

WR250X wrote:
Just so its not such a large looking front tire, would 120/80-17 front work okay instead of 90 series?

They don't make 120/80-17. I know because I looked all over the place for that size. They label the 120/90-17 as a rear tire. lol

mrgreyman wrote:
Are these taller than the Avons? Do they make the bike taller?

These tires made my bike taller. It almost raised the bike up to stock level when I already lowered the rear (lowest stock adjustment. no yamalink) and raised the front forks 17mm.
Back to top Go down
zachsb3

zachsb3

PostSubject: Re: Shinko 705 s on an X   Shinko 705 s on an X - Page 3 EmptyThu Aug 18, 2011 8:58 pm

R_Lefebvre wrote:

i just got mine on today and im havin the same prob. im hoping lowering the front fork some will help. if not i dont think they'll be on my bike long.

Shinko 705 s on an X - Page 3 DSC_0002-1
Back to top Go down
Arkmage

PostSubject: Re: Shinko 705 s on an X   Shinko 705 s on an X - Page 3 EmptyThu Aug 18, 2011 9:04 pm

I haven't been that fast in loose dirt on the trails but on dirt roads I've had it up to 60 mph and it felt fine. If anything the back end was the twitchy one.
Back to top Go down
eflyersteve

PostSubject: Re: Shinko 705 s on an X   Shinko 705 s on an X - Page 3 EmptyFri Aug 19, 2011 1:44 pm

I'm running stock fork height with a 1" lowering link out back and I don't get any bad headshake. Well at least no more than the factory tires.
Back to top Go down
zachsb3

zachsb3

PostSubject: Re: Shinko 705 s on an X   Shinko 705 s on an X - Page 3 EmptyMon Aug 22, 2011 10:05 pm

slid my forks up 2cm. The head shake is worse, i cant go over 60 on the street before its start wobblin. prob not goin ride until i can afford some bt003s.
Back to top Go down
eflyersteve

PostSubject: Re: Shinko 705 s on an X   Shinko 705 s on an X - Page 3 EmptyWed Aug 24, 2011 4:40 pm

It's not the tires. Must be something else. I ride mine up to 70+ before I get a little shake. I've been very happy with the on-road performance of these tires.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Shinko 705 s on an X   Shinko 705 s on an X - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Shinko 705 s on an X
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next