Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

mod's on the cheap!

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Swarty

mod's on the cheap! Empty
PostSubject: mod's on the cheap!   mod's on the cheap! EmptySun Mar 21, 2010 12:27 pm

I took a bit of a different approach to the modifications on my R, having read everything I can find regarding aftermarket items it just doe's not seem like you get a realy big bang for the buck's spent.
Air Box- I took a big paper clip and attached the flapper door in the open position, still not happy with the size of the intake I decided to look for options to get it more air. I ended up using 3, 1" soffett vents in the air box door, 1" wood bit worked great. The ones I have drain back to the outside should they get water in them. Easy to tape over if wet conditions dictate. I want to get an aftermarket filter soon.
PIPE- wanting to see if I could improve the flow a bit as well as keeping the quiet close to stock as possible. I ride where spark arrestors are mandatory so an aftermarket tip would not work. I ended up taking the end cap and spark arrestor off an drilling 2-3/8 holes in the center down in the muffler. Spark arrester and cap back on, in business.
Started it up and it sounded a bit stronger, rode around the block and is seemed to pull better. Went on 130 mile ride yesterday and I felt I was coming off the corners much harder.
I was pretty careful to do mod's that could be put back to stock very easily as well as staying withing the adjustability of the stock ECU.
My biggest expense was $16.95 for the 24" 3/8 bit

Swarty
Back to top Go down
WRoldman

WRoldman

PostSubject: Re: mod's on the cheap!   mod's on the cheap! EmptySun Mar 21, 2010 10:19 pm

I'm a big fan of frugality. FYI the middle part of air box can knocked out & the flapper door falls with it. Yes it was a happy accident.
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: mod's on the cheap!   mod's on the cheap! EmptyMon Mar 22, 2010 1:02 am

Glad you like it. :)

If you did spend the money on an exhaust (with a spark arrestor, like an FMF Q4) and a fuel programmer and geared the bike down a bit (and decided to just throw those airbox flapper parts far away while you were at it), it would be even better.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: mod's on the cheap!   mod's on the cheap! Empty

Back to top Go down

mod's on the cheap!
Page 1 of 1