Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

crankshaft bearing

Go down 
+5
greer
derm75
slolane
YZEtc
mattf
9 posters
AuthorMessage
mattf

crankshaft bearing Empty
PostSubject: crankshaft bearing   crankshaft bearing EmptyThu Apr 01, 2010 9:05 pm

crankshaft bearing gave out on me, 4500 miles on the bike. I did swamp the bike completely at about 600 miles and I know someone else did the same and had their engine give out on them as well. not sure if that's why, but it is certainly a possibility and certainly did not help anything. anyway, did not plan on doing this mod but as long as everything is already apart it will be put back together with a big bore kit.
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

crankshaft bearing Empty
PostSubject: Re: crankshaft bearing   crankshaft bearing EmptyThu Apr 01, 2010 9:15 pm

Yes, now's the perfect excuse...I mean time for that. :)
Back to top Go down
slolane

slolane

crankshaft bearing Empty
PostSubject: Re: crankshaft bearing   crankshaft bearing EmptyThu Apr 01, 2010 11:08 pm

Sorry to hear about your motor... but at least your going with the big bore and that should help make you feel a little better. Keep us posted with the results of that... can't wait to see.
Back to top Go down
derm75

crankshaft bearing Empty
PostSubject: Re: crankshaft bearing   crankshaft bearing EmptyThu Apr 01, 2010 11:43 pm

YZEtc wrote:
Yes, now's the perfect excuse...I mean time for that. :)

I've recently been fantasizing about a WR290R. Let us know how it goes. cheers
Back to top Go down
greer

crankshaft bearing Empty
PostSubject: Re: crankshaft bearing   crankshaft bearing EmptyFri Apr 02, 2010 5:02 am

Sorry to hear about your trouble, but please keep us posted on that big bore kit.

Sarah
Back to top Go down
Swarty

crankshaft bearing Empty
PostSubject: crank bearings   crankshaft bearing EmptyMon Aug 30, 2010 6:34 pm

what alerted you to the problem?

Swarty

Back to top Go down
mattf

crankshaft bearing Empty
PostSubject: Re: crankshaft bearing   crankshaft bearing EmptyMon Aug 30, 2010 8:31 pm

Swarty wrote:

Swarty

a weird noise coming from the right side of the motor. It drove me nuts trying to figure out what the noise was because I kept thinking it was the motor but there was no loss of power or anything. after over a hundred miles I finally started getting a vibration from the motor as well so I brought it in.
Back to top Go down

crankshaft bearing Empty
PostSubject: Bearing noise   crankshaft bearing EmptyTue Sep 07, 2010 12:44 am

mattf wrote:
Swarty wrote:

Swarty

a weird noise coming from the right side of the motor. It drove me nuts trying to figure out what the noise was because I kept thinking it was the motor but there was no loss of power or anything. after over a hundred miles I finally started getting a vibration from the motor as well so I brought it in.

..Just curious. What oil were you using? Was it a knocking noise, a grinding noise or...?

Thanks,

Artoo
Back to top Go down
mattf

crankshaft bearing Empty
PostSubject: Re: crankshaft bearing   crankshaft bearing EmptyTue Sep 07, 2010 12:38 pm

Artoo wrote:
mattf wrote:
Swarty wrote:

Swarty

..Just curious. What oil were you using? Was it a knocking noise, a grinding noise or...?

Thanks,

Artoo

I've used nothing but yamalube and I am the original owner of the bike. before it got to the point where I was sure it was something engine internal the best way to describe the noise was that it sounded like something was loose inside my exhaust header.
Back to top Go down
dc4stroke

dc4stroke

crankshaft bearing Empty
PostSubject: Swamped   crankshaft bearing EmptyTue Sep 07, 2010 1:04 pm

After you swamped it, did you do anything in response. Were you in a situation where it could be addressed before ever starting it. Or did you have to ride it out of the area. How soon was the oil changed after it was swamped.
Back to top Go down
mattf

crankshaft bearing Empty
PostSubject: Re: crankshaft bearing   crankshaft bearing EmptyTue Sep 07, 2010 6:32 pm

dc4stroke wrote:
After you swamped it, did you do anything in response. Were you in a situation where it could be addressed before ever starting it. Or did you have to ride it out of the area. How soon was the oil changed after it was swamped.

it was not restarted after being swamped, I was able to get my truck close and I pushed it a 1/4 mile or so and loaded it up. I drained the oil, flipped the bike over with the spark plug out and the exhaust removed and then refilled the oil when it was right side up again. I then brought it to my friends dad who is a motorcycle mechanic and he changed the oil again and then started it for the first time since being swamped. I changed the oil again after that before riding it anywhere.
Back to top Go down

crankshaft bearing Empty
PostSubject: Bearing Replacement   crankshaft bearing EmptyTue Sep 14, 2010 10:53 am

mattf wrote:
dc4stroke wrote:

it was not restarted after being swamped, I was able to get my truck close and I pushed it a 1/4 mile or so and loaded it up. I drained the oil, flipped the bike over with the spark plug out and the exhaust removed and then refilled the oil when it was right side up again. I then brought it to my friends dad who is a motorcycle mechanic and he changed the oil again and then started it for the first time since being swamped. I changed the oil again after that before riding it anywhere.

mattf,

How big a job did the bearing replacement turn out to be? Did you find anything else damaged? Link to your bigbore report? lurk

Thanks,

Artoo

Back to top Go down
mattf

crankshaft bearing Empty
PostSubject: Re: crankshaft bearing   crankshaft bearing EmptyTue Sep 14, 2010 12:37 pm

Artoo wrote:

mattf,

How big a job did the bearing replacement turn out to be? Did you find anything else damaged? Link to your bigbore report? lurk

Thanks,

Artoo

I know they had to have their machinist do some work on the crankshaft itself but I don't remember the specifics, I think it was just pressing the bearings if I remember correctly. There were no other major part replacements though but the engine was completely disasembled so it was a big job in my eyes just for that reason. I went with the big bore kit since there was no added labor cost at that time to install it and it saved the dealership from buying (charging me) for some of the needed gaskets to put the engine back together so that offset the cost a "tiny" bit of the big bore kit, not that it really made much difference in the overall cost of fixing it.
Back to top Go down
greer

crankshaft bearing Empty
PostSubject: Re: crankshaft bearing   crankshaft bearing EmptyWed Sep 15, 2010 5:24 am

Do you have a few miles on the BB kit? Could you tell us what you think so far? Thanks

Sarah
Back to top Go down
mattf

crankshaft bearing Empty
PostSubject: Re: crankshaft bearing   crankshaft bearing EmptyWed Sep 15, 2010 7:03 am

about 3000 now. so far so good on the reliability. I've been changing the oil every 1000-1200 miles or so and it's usually as dark as I like to see it, not that it couldn't go longer but I prefer just changing it sooner for the little cost that it is. the only complaint I have is the EFI programmer, the one that comes with the kit is not adjustable and it had a little bog when I first applied throttle at lower RPM's. I added my FMF programmer back on so both are hooked up now, I was able to get it a little better but I have not been able to completely fix that as of yet, but I haven't put as much effort into that as I should have. I just found from another post here I can send the FMF programmer back to get reflashed so I will be sending it back to get reflashed so I can just remove the athena one completely, but my riding season is getting short on time so I may just wait to do that in a month or two.
Back to top Go down
Captain Midnight

Captain Midnight

crankshaft bearing Empty
PostSubject: Re: crankshaft bearing   crankshaft bearing EmptyThu Sep 16, 2010 2:58 am

I'm getting a funny noise in my motor. When I'm letting off the throttle and coasting. It's almost a squeeling sound. Sounds like it's coming from left side of motor. No vibration. It's just enough noise to worry me.
Back to top Go down
Akasy

crankshaft bearing Empty
PostSubject: Noise   crankshaft bearing EmptyThu Sep 16, 2010 8:15 am

Captain Midnight wrote:
I'm getting a funny noise in my motor. When I'm letting off the throttle and coasting. It's almost a squeeling sound. Sounds like it's coming from left side of motor. No vibration. It's just enough noise to worry me.

Don't do anything else--lube your chain heavily and try it again--if it cuts it down check your slider.
Back to top Go down
Captain Midnight

Captain Midnight

crankshaft bearing Empty
PostSubject: Re: crankshaft bearing   crankshaft bearing EmptyThu Sep 16, 2010 5:25 pm

My slider has been worn quite a bit. I have a replacement ready to install. I will try the lube idea, to see if that is the noise.
Thank you
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

crankshaft bearing Empty
PostSubject: Re: crankshaft bearing   crankshaft bearing Empty

Back to top Go down

crankshaft bearing
Page 1 of 1