Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Clutchless Shifting?

Go down 
+10
YZEtc
Dancamp
slolane
ed29
Jäger
MeefZah
olddog
Krabill
SheWolf
BigBird
14 posters
AuthorMessage
BigBird

Clutchless Shifting? Empty
PostSubject: Clutchless Shifting?   Clutchless Shifting? EmptyThu Apr 08, 2010 11:14 am

When OFFroading I often find it inconvienent to let go of the left grip to activate the clutch for Upshifts -
SO I just back of the throttle a little and shift.

I've done this before on other bikes with no ill effects.

Is it safe to assume this won't harm the WRR?

I seldom do it on a down shift - BUT have on occasion when I was already in way too high a gear.
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Clutchless Shifting?   Clutchless Shifting? EmptyThu Apr 08, 2010 11:18 am

I do it quite a bit offroad. Ridden most of my bikes that way, really. I usually only use the clutch for 1st gear and then power shift up, and when downshifting. Sometimes, like you have, I've had to jump on it when there isn't enough time to grab the lever.

PostSubject: Re: Clutchless Shifting?   Clutchless Shifting? EmptyThu Apr 08, 2010 12:50 pm

I always have two fingers on the clutch, so "reaching for it" isn't even in the equation. Not only do I use it to shift, but am constantly feathering it to keep/gain traction and control.
Back to top Go down
olddog

PostSubject: shifting without use of clutch   Clutchless Shifting? EmptyThu Apr 08, 2010 1:00 pm

Use the clutch, even if you just barely pull it in, transmissions are really expensive.
Back to top Go down
MeefZah

MeefZah

PostSubject: Re: Clutchless Shifting?   Clutchless Shifting? EmptyThu Apr 08, 2010 1:02 pm

This is a topic of some debate, but I shift up quite regularly without the clutch and have never had a problem. 6500 miles on my WR and 35000 on my Strom with nary a problem.

I do sometimes downshift without using the clutch, but that is infrequently.
Back to top Go down
Jäger
Admin
Jäger

PostSubject: Re: Clutchless Shifting?   Clutchless Shifting? EmptyThu Apr 08, 2010 1:59 pm

I don't know whether it is harmful to this bike or not. But I always use the clutch anyways; I started riding back in the day of (compared to today) low powered 125cc motocrossers, where you always had a couple of fingers on the clutch to help keep it on the pipe. So I still ride with a couple of fingers on the clutch and clutch all my shifts; just habit.

It's like a lot of other things; doesn't take long to adapt to riding with a couple of fingers on the clutch and brake, then it just becomes normal.
Back to top Go down
ed29

ed29

PostSubject: Re: Clutchless Shifting?   Clutchless Shifting? EmptyThu Apr 08, 2010 2:41 pm

Just letting off the throttle enough to unload the transmission has worked well for me for a couple of decades. At a class I attended we were encouraged to upshift this way and learn to downshift with a blip of the throttle to ease the hit. I do this on all of my bikes most of the time. the 1-2 upshift on pavement is tough to get smooth, so I clutch that one. Do it smooth and you won't break stuff. If it is kicking you on the shift then you are working it too hard.
Back to top Go down
slolane

slolane

PostSubject: Re: Clutchless Shifting?   Clutchless Shifting? EmptyThu Apr 08, 2010 3:40 pm

I'm not sure if it's bad to not clutch but I do just as Krabill does...

Krabill wrote:
I always have two fingers on the clutch, so "reaching for it" isn't even in the equation. Not only do I use it to shift, but am constantly feathering it to keep/gain traction and control.
Back to top Go down
Dancamp

PostSubject: Re: Clutchless Shifting?   Clutchless Shifting? EmptyThu Apr 08, 2010 4:20 pm

Offroad I continuously keep one or two fingers on the clutch lever, just to be able to lift the front wheel when needed. So I use it most of the time. I must say it's not my primary focus on the trail.
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: Clutchless Shifting?   Clutchless Shifting? EmptyThu Apr 08, 2010 4:43 pm

I always use the clutch for shifting, although this is always one of the hot message board topics (like oil and chain lube).

I do know that if it's done wrong, it will make the bike start popping out of gear eventually and other fun stuff.

I, too, always have a finger over the clutch lever for shifting, locking the rear wheel, wheelies, and any other reason that you'd want or need quick clutch disengagement. :)
Back to top Go down
0007onWR

0007onWR

PostSubject: Re: Clutchless Shifting?   Clutchless Shifting? EmptyFri Apr 09, 2010 3:44 pm

The shift dogs are "Back cut" slightly to keep the bike in gear so the trick is, if you do not have to force the shifter then the transmision is not "Loaded" so shifting should not be a problem, next time you are accelerating hard feel the shifter, you probably cant shift it under full power
matching load is what it's all about, Downshifting is tricky and i usually clutch on downshifts except when I'm all out of shape and need to stab it into 1st real quick
Back to top Go down
Tammy

Tammy

PostSubject: Re: Clutchless Shifting?   Clutchless Shifting? EmptyFri Apr 09, 2010 10:56 pm

When racing I Use the clutch to start the bike and that's it. Up and down shift without the clutch all other times. Same when I'm out getting ready for a race.. On the road I don't see the need to not use it tho...
Back to top Go down
drater

drater

PostSubject: Re: Clutchless Shifting?   Clutchless Shifting? EmptySun Apr 11, 2010 11:24 am

interesting! it's like playing the drums, find the right tempo and beat and use all.
Back to top Go down
SpiritWolf15

SpiritWolf15

PostSubject: Re: Clutchless Shifting?   Clutchless Shifting? EmptySun Apr 11, 2010 1:58 pm

The occasional clutchless shift shouldn't hurt a transmission that much. But you have to remember, that grinding you are hearing is metal on metal, never a good sound.

Try both and see which works best for you, personally I shift with my clutch in, better to err on the safe side than the losing my transmission side. Clutchless Shifting? 61865
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Clutchless Shifting?   Clutchless Shifting? EmptySun Apr 11, 2010 2:00 pm

Or your front wheel from the bearings being worn out... Clutchless Shifting? 851577

SpiritWolf15

PostSubject: Re: Clutchless Shifting?   Clutchless Shifting? EmptySun Apr 11, 2010 2:03 pm

SheWolf wrote:
Or your front wheel from the bearings being worn out... Clutchless Shifting? 851577

Hey, they still turned. And the wobble was fun >=3
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Clutchless Shifting?   Clutchless Shifting? EmptyMon Apr 12, 2010 9:09 pm

I find it's really easy on the wr, just snicks in with no fuss even when I'm not that accurate. On my sv650, you had to be just perfect otherwise you would get grinding.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Clutchless Shifting?   Clutchless Shifting? Empty

Back to top Go down

Clutchless Shifting?
Page 1 of 1