Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

ridiculous reccomended shifting points?

Go down 
+4
0007onWR
YZEtc
motokid
bigg
8 posters
AuthorMessage
bigg

bigg

ridiculous reccomended shifting points? Empty
PostSubject: ridiculous reccomended shifting points?   ridiculous reccomended shifting points? EmptySat Jul 30, 2011 8:38 am

I was looking through the owner manual and found the following recommended shifting points:

1st -> 2nd : 16 km/h (10 mph)
2nd -> 3rd : 24 km/h (15 mph)
3rd -> 4th : 32 km/h (20 mph)
4th -> 5th : 40 km/h (25 mph)
5th -> 6th : 48 km/h (30 mph)

Whats up with that eeek

those look ridiculously small!

I usually do around

1st -> 2nd : 15 - 20 km/h
2nd -> 3rd : 30 km/h
3rd -> 4th : 50 km/h
4th -> 5th : 65 km/h
5th -> 6th : 80 - 90 km/h

(stock gearing)

What were they thinking putting those numbers down? or am I shifting way too late? dunno
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: ridiculous reccomended shifting points?   ridiculous reccomended shifting points? EmptySat Jul 30, 2011 9:15 am

Dude...I'm damn close to rev limiter in 1st through 3rd at least and I almost always try to use throttle to lift front wheel off ground in all those shifts unless there's traffic right in front of me.

What's the speed in kph in those gears when you hit the rev limiter?

click me <-- clicky

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: ridiculous reccomended shifting points?   ridiculous reccomended shifting points? EmptySat Jul 30, 2011 9:35 am

That info is basically a generic recommendation put in Yamaha Owner's Manuals for decades.
Back to top Go down
bigg

bigg

PostSubject: Re: ridiculous reccomended shifting points?   ridiculous reccomended shifting points? EmptySat Jul 30, 2011 9:49 am

YZEtc wrote:
That info is basically a generic recommendation put in Yamaha Owner's Manuals for decades.

Just wondering because the shfiting points I wrote down are when I take it easy, just relaxed driving. I thought I was doing well (first bike) till I looked at the manual and saw such odd numbers Suspect

Well it really shouldn't take them long to change those numbers... ah well scratch
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: ridiculous reccomended shifting points?   ridiculous reccomended shifting points? EmptySat Jul 30, 2011 12:59 pm

On my X with 13/48 gearing and a corrected speedometer I hit rev limiter in first gear at about 30 kph.

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
0007onWR

0007onWR

PostSubject: Re: ridiculous reccomended shifting points?   ridiculous reccomended shifting points? EmptySat Jul 30, 2011 1:10 pm

I'm just trying to imagine the rider that needs to use that information
Everyone should learn on dirt bikes first, makes all that stuff a moot point
Back to top Go down
wingnut

wingnut

PostSubject: Shifting points   ridiculous reccomended shifting points? EmptySat Jul 30, 2011 9:37 pm

Maybe this is how you have to shift in order to get 71 MPG out of these bikes that Yamaha claims they'll get.lol
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: ridiculous reccomended shifting points?   ridiculous reccomended shifting points? EmptySat Jul 30, 2011 9:44 pm

wingnut wrote:
Maybe this is how you have to shift in order to get 71 MPG out of these bikes that Yamaha claims they'll get.lol

Where I live, riding like that would probably get you run over. eeek

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
gatorfan

gatorfan

PostSubject: Re: ridiculous reccomended shifting points?   ridiculous reccomended shifting points? EmptySat Jul 30, 2011 9:46 pm

Shift when your ears tell you to. End of story.

A wise man once said ... "ride more worry less".
Back to top Go down
oic0

oic0

PostSubject: Re: ridiculous reccomended shifting points?   ridiculous reccomended shifting points? EmptySun Jul 31, 2011 5:40 am

I don't shift at those points but I do cruise at those speeds in those gears, roughly. I don't go to sixth until around 35. Lugs and vibrates bellow that. No reason to stay in a lower gear for cruisin though. Not with a clutch this light. Some of what I do though is to keep the sound down and not draw attention too this dumb powercore muffler when in residential areas. I go through the same residential area every dah at the same time. If Im obnoxious a cop will probably appear.
Back to top Go down
treeklimber

PostSubject: Re: ridiculous reccomended shifting points?   ridiculous reccomended shifting points? EmptySat Aug 20, 2011 4:55 pm

You'll superheat your transmission lugging along at those rpms. Really? 6th gear at 35mph? I can't hit 6th until about 60.
Back to top Go down
oic0

oic0

PostSubject: Re: ridiculous reccomended shifting points?   ridiculous reccomended shifting points? EmptySat Aug 20, 2011 10:44 pm

6th at 35mph (38 displayed on stock speedo) is probably about 3500rpms, that's probably enough to keep the oil pump sprayin the gears fine. Its not close to lugging until 20 some odd mph, but if I do break it ill say the manual made me do it :)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: ridiculous reccomended shifting points?   ridiculous reccomended shifting points? Empty

Back to top Go down

ridiculous reccomended shifting points?
Page 1 of 1