Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Intermediate oil change question

Go down 
+2
motokid
mash100
6 posters
AuthorMessage
mash100

mash100

Intermediate oil change question Empty
PostSubject: Intermediate oil change question   Intermediate oil change question EmptyFri Apr 09, 2010 4:34 pm

UK WR owners manual calls for major service every 6000 miles, including oil & filter change. It also calls for an intermediate oil change every 3000 miles, but filter change is not necessary. I need to do oil change soon. So, I'm going to put in Motul 5100 semi-synthetic, as per the last service, but wonder what to do regarding the bleeder/oil pressure bolt. Mechanics is NOT my day job, but I do have access to tools & a workshop; oil changing on cars/other bikes does not worry me, but the bleed bolt issue on the WR concerns me a bit, having read some horror stories of oil leaks etc. elsewhere.
Thoughts????
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Intermediate oil change question   Intermediate oil change question EmptyFri Apr 09, 2010 6:10 pm

Ignore the oil bleed bolt.

Pretend it does not exist.

Seriously.

Not joking.

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Intermediate oil change question   Intermediate oil change question EmptyFri Apr 09, 2010 8:16 pm

+10. Intermediate oil change question 61865 You don't need to screw with that unless you want a lesson in frustration. More times than not it will leak after, not to mention the mess you get.

Six8

PostSubject: Re: Intermediate oil change question   Intermediate oil change question EmptySat Apr 10, 2010 11:23 pm

Intermediate oil change question 851577 the bleeder bolt!
I've done 3 oil and filter changes on my 2010 WR2, 200, 500, 800 Km's so far, NO BLEEDER BOLT USED or needed.
Bike runs like a dream.
Just follow the instruction and get a nice 3/8 drive toque wrench and your away to the races.
Even at my ulta slow pace and an oil slick worth of EXXON about to happen,
the entire job takes about 20 minutes. Intermediate oil change question 525406
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Intermediate oil change question   Intermediate oil change question EmptySun Apr 11, 2010 12:14 am

Six8 wrote:
I've done 3 oil and filter changes on my 2010 WR2, 200, 500, 800 Km's so far, NO BLEEDER BOLT USED or needed.
Bike runs like a dream.
Just follow the instruction and get a nice 3/8 drive toque wrench and your away to the races.

Why on Earth are you treating your wr like it's an Aprilia race bike?

300 km's = 186 miles

That's insanely wasteful and unnecessary.

Why would you do that?

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
mash100

mash100

PostSubject: Re: Intermediate oil change question   Intermediate oil change question EmptySun Apr 11, 2010 5:57 am

motokid wrote:
Six8 wrote:
Bike runs like a dream.

Why on Earth are you treating your wr like it's an Aprilia race bike?

300 km's = 186 miles

That's insanely wasteful and unnecessary.

Why would you do that?

My manual says 600 miles (previous owner), then oil change (but NOT filter) after 3000 miles, then full service, including oil & filter, at 6000 miles, & so on... I don't race, although I do have a 'heavy' right hand, I avoid rain & there isn't much dust to worry about in the UK!
But thanks for all comments - kind of puts my mind to rest. I bought a nice officially callibrated torque wrench last Christmas, so ready for action!!
Back to top Go down
Six8

Six8

PostSubject: Re: Intermediate oil change question   Intermediate oil change question EmptySun Apr 11, 2010 8:26 am

the 1st 2 oil changes it came out like black goooo,
the 3rd was cloudy but not clear...
I think by the 1K mark there will be nothing but oil and engine in side there. Intermediate oil change question 89954
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Intermediate oil change question   Intermediate oil change question EmptySun Apr 11, 2010 8:28 am

I think the concept of changing the oil, but not replacing the filter is bizarre.

That's on you. As is changing the oil every other gas tank fill.

Neither make sense to me. Intermediate oil change question 53647

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
Six8

Six8

PostSubject: Re: Intermediate oil change question   Intermediate oil change question EmptySun Apr 11, 2010 8:57 am

I did the filters too...
I do this with new motors all the time,
I've got the time, and 1.4L of oil and a filter is cheap, $15
When the oil filters came out they looked like tar paper filters, not nice at all.
My ATV (97 FOREMAN) is old as dirt and got the same treatment when new, and still pulls like a mule. Intermediate oil change question 379944
Back to top Go down
inspector

inspector

PostSubject: Re: Intermediate oil change question   Intermediate oil change question EmptySun Apr 11, 2010 10:18 am

I checked the bleed bolt once (after help finding it, lol) just to see what happens. Oil seeps out when cranking. Thought, "wow, that's cool. Now i got oil to clean up" and haven't done it again since. I guess if you where completely anal it could be checked every time, but what are the chances a problem will be found?

*Oil changing. Some people do it early, some people do it late. I try to stay close to the manual but honestly sometimes the bike lets you know earlier that the oil needs to be changed. (i also change the filter everytime)
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Intermediate oil change question   Intermediate oil change question EmptySun Apr 11, 2010 12:22 pm

I change mine every 2500 -3000. If I've been riding hard and in a lot of dirty stuff, I'll go a bit sooner. You can tell by the look and smell of the oil when its due.

BillDoe

PostSubject: Re: Intermediate oil change question   Intermediate oil change question EmptyMon Apr 19, 2010 11:17 am

Mine gets changed with filter after a track day or 2,000 miles, which ever comes first and I use the bleeder. I do ride mine like I stole it.
Back to top Go down
mash100

mash100

PostSubject: Re: Intermediate oil change question   Intermediate oil change question EmptyMon Apr 19, 2010 2:20 pm

SheWolf wrote:
I change mine every 2500 -3000. If I've been riding hard and in a lot of dirty stuff, I'll go a bit sooner. You can tell by the look and smell of the oil when its due.
What smell should you be looking for? According to my service book, the previous owner had the 1st service/oil + filter change at about 550 miles. I'm now on 3100 miles, & the oil is a nice honey brown colour at the filler cap. There is a smell of oil & general pertroleum smells, but no strong burnt/carbon smells. I suspect the previous owner was a very 'careful' rider, as the rear tyre is very squared off with little sign of decent cornering(!) I think he also only rode in totally dry conditions as everything is in showroom condition......
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Intermediate oil change question   Intermediate oil change question Empty

Back to top Go down

Intermediate oil change question
Page 1 of 1