Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Defending our machine

Go down 
+12
clint
Dancamp
subedai
RT3856
X-Racer
Hertz
drater
YZEtc
slolane
sswrx
SheWolf
Deep Wood's Dan
16 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
X-Racer

X-Racer

Defending our machine - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Defending our machine   Defending our machine - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 26, 2010 9:24 pm

Leseeee what cha got ? ...and while you're at it, take pics of what YamCan sent cha too ! Defending our machine - Page 2 Lol
Back to top Go down
sswrx

sswrx

PostSubject: Re: Defending our machine   Defending our machine - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 26, 2010 9:58 pm

SheWolf wrote:
Yamaha is sooo cool! I came home after my class to a package from Yamaha Canada. Inside it was some stuff as a thank you. How cool is that?!! Defending our machine - Page 2 61865 Defending our machine - Page 2 379944

Awsome! But how did they get your address? Is it from when you bought your bike at the dealer?
Back to top Go down
Deep Wood's Dan

PostSubject: Re: Defending our machine   Defending our machine - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 26, 2010 10:30 pm

I feel we are defending our bike against the elites of the the Dirt Rag world, not fellow riders. I spent a lot of time comparing the KLX to the R2 and almost bought the Kawi. I have no real brand preference. I've owned an older KLX back in the '80s and loved it. I have an 08 KLR650 and it fits a certain nitch. I don't care what you ride. If I see you out on the trail my first thought is, let's ride! I just didn't like what Kawasaki is doing to the suspension on the new KLX. It is becoming more street oriented. Just like the R2, the KLX can be modded to improve it's dirt capabilites. Back slapping? Not really. Love the Yamaha? Hell yes!
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Defending our machine   Defending our machine - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 26, 2010 11:18 pm

sswrx wrote:
Awsome! But how did they get your address? Is it from when you bought your bike at the dealer?

They got my address when I sent them a thank you for sending me tech info for my old DT. The rep asked for it so he could send me a hard copy of the write-up. I got a Yamaha Racing Lanyard and a Yamaha beanie. If you still want pics it'll have to wait until tomorrow after class so I can get batteries. Defending our machine - Page 2 163123

Trailmoto

PostSubject: Re: Defending our machine   Defending our machine - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 27, 2010 5:37 am

In 2008, Trail Rider Magazine had a review on the WRR and they had a similar stance as DB. They indicated it was entry level, etc... They kind of poo-pooed it saying that if you want to putt along on a gravel road then this was a great bike... but DEFINITELY don't think you can enter an enduro race or the like. I'm paraphrasing a bit but you get the idea. I sent a reply to the effect that they were full of $h!t. (no reply or publication... go figure). No, you probably aren't going to win a bunch of trophies entering enduro races, but there's no reason why you can't compete, and even do well. Hell, I'm over 40 and in the racing classes I'm considered a novice rider... I entered a STOCK WRR with 26 miles on it (I know... screw the break-in period) and while I didn't finish the course, it had very little to do with the bike's capabilities and almost entirely to do with my lack of skill and conditioning. I actually entered 2 other enduros in the following 12 months and finished both of them.

My point? Well, as most all of you, I feel this bike is about the best all-around bike that's available at it's price point. There's almost nothing you can't do on this bike. Sure, it has it's limitations... but what bike doesn't?

My 2 cents... that's all.

btw... if you're curious about the enduro races I entered... I wrote about them HERE:

http://mototrailadventures.blogspot.com/2008/04/sparkplug.html

and

http://mototrailadventures.blogspot.com/2009/03/sparkplug-redux.html

and

http://mototrailadventures.blogspot.com/2008/11/fistfulls-of-fur.html

Thanks everyone... keep up the good fight!
Back to top Go down
subedai

PostSubject: Re: Defending our machine   Defending our machine - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 27, 2010 10:01 am

Trailmoto wrote:
In 2008, Trail Rider Magazine had a review on the WRR and they had a similar stance as DB. They indicated it was entry level, etc... They kind of poo-pooed it saying that if you want to putt along on a gravel road then this was a great bike... but DEFINITELY don't think you can enter an enduro race or the like. I'm paraphrasing a bit but you get the idea. I sent a reply to the effect that they were full of $h!t. (no reply or publication... go figure). No, you probably aren't going to win a bunch of trophies entering enduro races, but there's no reason why you can't compete, and even do well. Hell, I'm over 40 and in the racing classes I'm considered a novice rider... I entered a STOCK WRR with 26 miles on it (I know... screw the break-in period) and while I didn't finish the course, it had very little to do with the bike's capabilities and almost entirely to do with my lack of skill and conditioning. I actually entered 2 other enduros in the following 12 months and finished both of them.

Crazy even trying an offroad course with that stock front eeek
Then you went and did it again cheers

Always wanted to try an enduro jus have no way of transporting the bike, wonder how id go just riding there with a can strapped on the back.
Back to top Go down
Trailmoto

Trailmoto

PostSubject: Re: Defending our machine   Defending our machine - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 27, 2010 2:36 pm

subedai wrote:

Crazy even trying an offroad course with that stock front eeek
Then you went and did it again cheers

Always wanted to try an enduro jus have no way of transporting the bike, wonder how id go just riding there with a can strapped on the back.

The only real problem was the stock tires... they were horrible. Not to mention I didn't even bother letting any air out of them. I was on a pogo stick the entire day.

The rest of the bike was fine.
Back to top Go down
bcpaul

PostSubject: Re: Defending our machine   Defending our machine - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 29, 2010 1:29 am

I was considering buying a KLX250, but a few things changed that.

Price: The kawi was about $1000 less GREAT!
THe KLX has a nicer speedo display

but...

• I got my brother to sit on the suspension and he could easily bottom it out ON THE SHOWROOM FLOOR Defending our machine - Page 2 724854 without jumping on it, just sitting down hard. Yes right down to the suspension dampener thingy. And no he's not fat albert, just my size of about 210. Tried the same thing on the WR and it wasn't even close to bottoming out. Adjusting the shock does not fix a weak spring.
  • The suspension on the KLX is not as adjustable as the WR
  • The KLX was just too small for a tall guy
  • Carb vs EFI -- for a dual sport and long-term maintenance the EFI (WR250R) win

My brother's 2008 Honda 450X and obviously the WR has no comparison to the torque of that beast. But I have no trouble keeping up to him -- you cant ride wide-open all the time Defending our machine - Page 2 93746 When he rides mine he calls it the cadillac cause the power is smooth and so is the ride. The honda handles much better than the WR, but i walk funny after sitting on the 2x4 on edge they call a seat
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Defending our machine   Defending our machine - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Defending our machine
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2