Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Power Comander V MAP ????

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
BigBird

Power Comander V MAP ???? Empty
PostSubject: Power Comander V MAP ????   Power Comander V MAP ???? EmptySun Apr 18, 2010 10:27 pm

I have a WR250R with an FMF Q4 muffler and Power Bomb header plus the other usual mods (flapper valve removed from air box, etc.) but retaining the stock air filter.

I purchased the Dyno Jet Power Commander V thinking this would be the best available device for Tuning the fuel injection to optimize it for my mods, etc.

Now that I have it installed I am unable to find info on how to set it up to optimize it for my mods (which have to be about the most common mods for this bike).

This MAY BE because NONE of the Maps on the PCV web site were designed for bikes with the Flapper Valve removed or disabled (which is probably the most common mod for these bikes)! See clarification on each of the maps below.

Can anybody offer any guidance on how to set up the PCV mapping (short of buying the Autotune system which appears to have a lot of problems from what I've seen on the internet)?

What I have learned so far is that the cryptic description on the PCV website for each of the 7 maps available for stock bore bikes is to be interpreted as follows.

Bold Underlined Text is the clarifications I got from talking to PCV Tech Support.

001 Stock exhaust, stock air filter = for a bike with NO MODS at all
002 Stock exhaust , Stock air filter, Airbox lid removed
003 Graves full exhaust , Stock air filter = the air box still has the flapper and the various flapper controls as it came from the factory
004 Leo Vince X3 exhaust (with spark arrestor), Stock air filter = the air box still has the flapper and the various flapper controls as it came from the factory
005 Leo Vince X3 exhaust (spark arrestor removed), Stock air filter = the air box still has the flapper and the various flapper controls as it came from the factory
006 Leo Vince X3 exhaust (spark arrestor removed), Stock air filter, Air box lid removed

009 FMF full exhaust, Stock air filter = the air box still has the flapper and the various flapper controls as it came from the factory

When I had ALL of the intake and exhaust emissions stuff removed but with stock muffler, I used the "001" map and the bike ran well.

HOWEVER, when I installed the FMF Q4 & Power Bomb Header and switched to the "009" map I got a BAD stumble when applying full throttle with the bike idling. It was SO BAD that by rapidly opening the throttle about 4 times in quick succession THE MOTOR WOULD ACTULLY DIE!

Any adivce apprecited!
Back to top Go down
BigBird

PostSubject: Re: Power Comander V MAP ????   Power Comander V MAP ???? EmptySun Apr 18, 2010 10:59 pm

I have develped an ALTERNATE theory as to why I'm not getting good results with Map 009 which is nominally the closeset one to my set up in that it is for the FMF muffler (but no mention of WHICH FMF or whether the Power Bomb is installed or anything about removal of the Flapper Valve as discussed in the original post above).

The ALTERNATE theory is that Map 009 is just plain Screwed Up?

This is based on a statistical comparison I've done of the individual settings by RPM and Throttle opening for the map 009 with settings for maps 003 and 004 which SHOULD be similar in that they are for the Graves full exhaust and the Leo Vince X3 with spark arrestor. These other 2 maps 003 & 004 are similar to each other but the 009 map for the FMF is VERY different. Map 009 is ~ 10% to 30% leaner in the 2.2K to 3K RPM range from about 15% throttle opening up to full throttle. This does NOT appear to make any sense and the fact that map 009 is the outlayer makes me think it is just hosed up.

Are any of you folks using this map? and if so how is it working for you?
Back to top Go down
WRXer

PostSubject: Re: Power Comander V MAP ????   Power Comander V MAP ???? EmptyMon Apr 19, 2010 12:05 am

I am no expert but agree something about the 009 map looks off. Try the Graves map & see how it does. I think you are overestimating the importance of the flapper. I have another bike with the flapper & folks have done extensive dyno testing for it with & without & its basically not noticeable.

So you have a full FMF system & are not satisfied with the DJ 009 map? Intersting. I was debating running this map & decided against it just looking at the numbers. I may have something for you to compare it too & tell me how it does VS the 009 map.
Back to top Go down
sswrx

sswrx

PostSubject: Re: Power Comander V MAP ????   Power Comander V MAP ???? EmptyMon Apr 19, 2010 11:02 pm

I think you should be using map #006 Leo Vince w/airbox lid removed. That should be just about the closest map. I use the same map but on the PCIII.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Power Comander V MAP ????   Power Comander V MAP ???? Empty

Back to top Go down

Power Comander V MAP ????
Page 1 of 1