Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

How far will you go? (on modification)

Go down 
+9
scottmac
badmotoscooter
boogn1sh
Machtig
mfrankpdx
inspector
mwakey
SheWolf
mtb
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
mtb

mtb

How far will you go? (on modification) Empty
PostSubject: How far will you go? (on modification)   How far will you go? (on modification) EmptyFri Mar 06, 2009 12:13 am

At work... can't ride the bike so ride the keyboard instead...

Our little WR(X/R) are high tech, reliable, fun, and more fun

However, a lot of us made certain amount of modification for various reasons.... looks/power/blah blah blah

And I think the major cause is the power to weight ratio

Now we have the turbo kit and the big bore kit as options to maximise the power...

How far are you willing to go?

Will you turbo/big bore the little WR for what it's worth... OR... just hope and wait for the bigger cc WR to come out?

tough
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: How far will you go? (on modification)   How far will you go? (on modification) EmptyFri Mar 06, 2009 12:15 am

I'm quite happy with my little screamer. If I wanted more bang I would have kept my 600. At best I'll re-pipe and re-map, but that's about it. thumb

mwakey

PostSubject: Re: How far will you go? (on modification)   How far will you go? (on modification) EmptyFri Mar 06, 2009 12:22 am

I've already spent more than I thought I ever would on this bike, but I am happy with the way it performs as it is now. Like SheWolf said, if you want more than that you should have bought a bigger bike to begin with. I never understood the need for the turbo. Seems like a lot of engineering gone to waste for such a little bike. There are plenty of alternatives if you need a light weight screamer without spending that kind of coin. Not to mention neither the turbo nor the big bore kit has any proven time on it yet, so who's to say down the road you don't end up with a blown motor?
Back to top Go down
inspector

inspector

PostSubject: Re: How far will you go? (on modification)   How far will you go? (on modification) EmptyFri Mar 06, 2009 12:24 am

I'm just a stalker...er....stocker? I'm one of the VERY few that just doesn't get into the mods. Too cheap i guess.
Back to top Go down
mfrankpdx

mfrankpdx

PostSubject: Re: How far will you go? (on modification)   How far will you go? (on modification) EmptyFri Mar 06, 2009 2:43 am

Only have a can and power programmer. It made such a noticeable difference, I think I'm happy with the power. I'll probably get the Powerbomb header eventually. Other than that I definitely want some new bars, just kind of waiting to crash and bend the old ones so I'm forced to spend the money. I've crashed 4 times and can't seem to bend them lol.

Plus I have to share modding expenses with my R6.
Back to top Go down
Machtig

PostSubject: Re: How far will you go? (on modification)   How far will you go? (on modification) EmptyMon Mar 09, 2009 10:09 pm

The only thing left I wanna do to mine is get a Smart Chain and a premium titanium alloy sprocket. Once I get that, I think I'll be done and it'll just be routine maintenance and tires from then on.
Back to top Go down
boogn1sh

boogn1sh

PostSubject: Re: How far will you go? (on modification)   How far will you go? (on modification) EmptyTue Mar 10, 2009 12:18 pm

I'm hoping to get my bars, clamps, guards, new chain and sprocket installed tonight. Later this week my Powerbomb, Q4 and FMFPP should be delivered. Then I'll be able to ride for the first time in 3 weeks. My bike is one month old and only has 40 miles, I'm ashamed. After the exhaust mods I figure the bike will be perfect for what I plan to do (though I still need to add some bags of some sort.)

Who has a link to this "big boar" kit? That might be something to look into for a winter project wink
Back to top Go down
badmotoscooter

badmotoscooter

PostSubject: Re: How far will you go? (on modification)   How far will you go? (on modification) EmptyThu Mar 12, 2009 5:48 pm

and this is what's gonna be cool...i'm doing very little modifications to mine...have taken off just a few things but basically it's stock and will stay that way Shog and when boogn1sh gets his put back together i'll be interested in seeing (or hearing, feeling,) any difference in the two. his is already much lighter than mine....and i've added weight with baggage (note my wife).
Back to top Go down
scottmac

scottmac

PostSubject: Re: How far will you go? (on modification)   How far will you go? (on modification) EmptyThu Mar 12, 2009 10:33 pm

My goal from the start has been to make my bike more trail worthy
and to that effect I changed the gearing (rear sprocket) to a 46T,
opened up the airbox flap and top so it breathes better, added an
FMF header/Q4/Power Programmer to gain some extra HP and add
a little more hit off the bottom. More aggressive tires (606's) for offroad
as well.

New Protaper bars to replace the bent stockers, DRC tailight and
Zeta Armor handguard blinkers to tuck the breakable stuff away.
Skid plate and radiator guard to keep the vulmnerable stuff safe.

A Yamalink to give me better footing while riding steep tight
stuff. Dirtbagz to carry what you need with you on long trips.

What's next?

The bigger Aquiline tank is on order and a tail rack that complements
the Dirtbagz brackets.

And that's going to be pretty much as far as its going to go.

I'm not going to touch the big bore kit or turbocharger. One of
the nicest things about this bike is its solid reliability and LOW
maintenance factor.

I sure don't want to sacrifice that for more HP.

I've just about got a bike that can haul all the gear I'll need and
has the range to do some some serious back country exploring and
that's what its going to be used for.
Back to top Go down
Machtig

PostSubject: Re: How far will you go? (on modification)   How far will you go? (on modification) EmptyThu Mar 12, 2009 11:13 pm

scottmac wrote:
My goal from the start has been to make my bike more trail worthy
..................snip.............................................
I've just about got a bike that can haul all the gear I'll need and
has the range to do some some serious back country exploring and
that's what its going to be used for.

Well said scott, my thoughts exactly.
Back to top Go down
BluePill

BluePill

PostSubject: Re: How far will you go? (on modification)   How far will you go? (on modification) EmptySun Mar 15, 2009 10:46 pm

inspector wrote:
I'm just a stalker...er....stocker? I'm one of the VERY few that just doesn't get into the mods. Too cheap i guess.

My only mods are 50T rear sprocket and higher handlebars. I don't plan to mod the engine because I am happy with the power now. What makes this such a fun bike for me is that I can twist full throttle at any time and not have to worry about getting into much trouble, as opposed to my CBR1000 which requires constant attention to keep from getting out of control due to excess power (not that I'm complaining). wink
Back to top Go down
flatboarder

flatboarder

PostSubject: Re: How far will you go? (on modification)   How far will you go? (on modification) EmptyMon Mar 16, 2009 7:30 am

No mods apart from removing heavy steel accessories and unnecessary stuff as far as possible. Also, no baggage mounts and stuff. Use backpack.
Will use oversize Handlebar without stay for better GPS mount, cutted tail at number plate holder. Maybe use speedohealer to fix bad odometer and speedometer deviation (pluggable into stock harness without mods). Use engine protection plate.

Keep engine and harness completely stock level. Always be capable of completely restoring 100% original state of vehicle, just in case. Keep an eye on full engine durability over long term, since I want to keep WR in my garage for quite some time.

Still need to abtain Yamaha oversize bar clamp from US Ebay. Fiddling around with nasty replacement plastic mirror at right side of handle bar (replacing those extremely heavy stock mirrors). No space to fix clamp due to close fit of brake reservoir. Using some bolt at standard mirror mount to fix plastic mirror clamp, but this is bad tinkering and looks very ugly. However, mirrors are mandatory here, so I need to find an acceptable solution. Nasty because I am not at all interested in this matter...
Back to top Go down
mwakey

mwakey

PostSubject: Re: How far will you go? (on modification)   How far will you go? (on modification) EmptyMon Mar 16, 2009 9:56 am

flatboarder wrote:
No space to fix clamp due to close fit of brake reservoir. Using some bolt at standard mirror mount to fix plastic mirror clamp, but this is bad tinkering and looks very ugly. However, mirrors are mandatory here, so I need to find an acceptable solution. Nasty because I am not at all interested in this matter...

You might consider a CRG Hindsight mirror for the right side. I had a heck of a time getting it in the right position after I switched to the fat bars, but I made it work. You just need to grind off a little of the socket on the bracket where the ball rides so the mirror will adjust down a bit further (see arrow in photo). It has actually worked out real good for me and I find myself using it more than my standard mount mirror on the left side.

How far will you go? (on modification) CRG_Hindsight
Back to top Go down
mtb

mtb

PostSubject: Re: How far will you go? (on modification)   How far will you go? (on modification) EmptyMon Mar 16, 2009 10:42 am

Mark.. Does that mirror vibrate if at all? Let's say we compare it to the stock mouse ear...

Also... you have the GoPro camera right? What's your feedback on it? Shog

Thanks
Back to top Go down
flatboarder

flatboarder

PostSubject: Re: How far will you go? (on modification)   How far will you go? (on modification) EmptyMon Mar 16, 2009 11:57 am

mwakey wrote:

You might consider a CRG Hindsight mirror for the right side. I had a heck of a time getting it in the right position after I switched to the fat bars, but I made it work. You just need to grind off a little of the socket on the bracket where the ball rides so the mirror will adjust down a bit further (see arrow in photo). It has actually worked out real good for me and I find myself using it more than my standard mount mirror on the left side.

There would probably be feasible solutions like yours, but I do not believe these would comply with our laws here. These mirrors need to get stamped with certain numbers and so on. The plastic mirrors I am using do fulfil those requirements, unlike several other plastic mirror sets I found. Needless to say, they vibrate badly as like any plastic mirrors. Well, I just want to get rid of those heavy steel arms. Maybe I would use fixed mirrors for touring paved roads but I do not like changing accessories for each type of using my vehicle.
Also my tail modification might very well fail at our yearly legal checkups. This means I might go back to original number plate holder (with small LED number plate light, however) as soon as my modification reveals arbitrary functional deficiencies. Or I might need to restore original state of rear end once a year for each checkup. But that would be really annoying. My idea is to keep some minimal amount of dry mud there, mantling any indicators of manual treatment :)
Back to top Go down
mwakey

mwakey

PostSubject: Re: How far will you go? (on modification)   How far will you go? (on modification) EmptyMon Mar 16, 2009 12:50 pm

flatboarder wrote:
There would probably be feasible solutions like yours, but I do not believe these would comply with our laws here. These mirrors need to get stamped with certain numbers and so on. The plastic mirrors I am using do fulfil those requirements, unlike several other plastic mirror sets I found. Needless to say, they vibrate badly as like any plastic mirrors. Well, I just want to get rid of those heavy steel arms. Maybe I would use fixed mirrors for touring paved roads but I do not like changing accessories for each type of using my vehicle.
Also my tail modification might very well fail at our yearly legal checkups. This means I might go back to original number plate holder (with small LED number plate light, however) as soon as my modification reveals arbitrary functional deficiencies. Or I might need to restore original state of rear end once a year for each checkup. But that would be really annoying. My idea is to keep some minimal amount of dry mud there, mantling any indicators of manual treatment :)

That's too bad your laws are so strict about the mirrors. Here is what I have on the left side. Maybe this is legal there? They are lighter than the stock mirrors, and made of aluminum. They are made by Rizoma and they have many different styles if you don't like these.

How far will you go? (on modification) RizomaMirror
Back to top Go down
mwakey

mwakey

PostSubject: Re: How far will you go? (on modification)   How far will you go? (on modification) EmptyMon Mar 16, 2009 12:54 pm

mtb wrote:
Mark.. Does that mirror vibrate if at all? Let's say we compare it to the stock mouse ear...

Also... you have the GoPro camera right? What's your feedback on it? Shog

Thanks

The CRG mirror is perfect. Absolutely no vibration and clear as a bell viewing. My left side mirror vibrates slightly, but nothing like the stock mouse ears.

As for the video, I was just about to go shoot some and rolled the bike outside and what do you know, there is rain coming this way. Just a small shower on the radar, so I will wait until later this afternoon and try again.

Didn't want to get the bike all wet & dirty ya know! Very happy
Back to top Go down
mtb

mtb

PostSubject: Re: How far will you go? (on modification)   How far will you go? (on modification) EmptyMon Mar 16, 2009 9:32 pm

mwakey wrote:

Didn't want to get the bike all wet & dirty ya know! Very happy

*trying to find the emoticons with middle finger* pig

Very happy
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: How far will you go? (on modification)   How far will you go? (on modification) EmptyMon Mar 16, 2009 9:45 pm

How far will you go? (on modification) Bigfinger thumb

mtb

PostSubject: Re: How far will you go? (on modification)   How far will you go? (on modification) EmptyMon Mar 16, 2009 9:50 pm

SheWolf wrote:

poser2 poser2 poser2 poser2 poser2 poser2

as always... you rule again bow bow bow bow
Back to top Go down
oldirt

oldirt

PostSubject: Re: How far will you go? (on modification)   How far will you go? (on modification) EmptyMon Mar 16, 2009 11:42 pm

I look at the "mods" as either "personalizing" or just making the bike more functional.

So, exhaust and FI programmer to maximize efficiency, tail light/blinker to minimize damage when I fall down, gearing cause stock is only ok for street, hand guards to save my knuckles, bigger gas tank so when I get lost I have enough fuel to find civillization and a host of comfort accessories just for me.

Then go out and break things so I can buy more "functional" stuff.
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: How far will you go? (on modification)   How far will you go? (on modification) EmptyMon Mar 16, 2009 11:54 pm

Ok...I guess the bigger fuel tank would be a good mod considering my patrol routes can be longer than what my little R²'s tank will allow. thumb

mwakey

PostSubject: Re: How far will you go? (on modification)   How far will you go? (on modification) EmptyTue Mar 17, 2009 1:21 am

mtb wrote:
SheWolf wrote:

poser2 poser2 poser2 poser2 poser2 poser2

as always... you rule again bow bow bow bow

OH, you're a riot Alice. A real riot. Someday..... BANG... ZOOM....... TO THE MOON!

You two are just soooooo jealous of my clean bike aren't you? Admit it now, deep down you both have a clean fetish. Wash off that mud and come out of the closet! poser2
Back to top Go down
flatboarder

flatboarder

PostSubject: Re: How far will you go? (on modification)   How far will you go? (on modification) EmptyTue Mar 17, 2009 5:06 am

mwakey wrote:

That's too bad your laws are so strict about the mirrors. Here is what I have on the left side. Maybe this is legal there? They are lighter than the stock mirrors, and made of aluminum. They are made by Rizoma and they have many different styles if you don't like these.

For onroad usage these mirrors may be a good idea since there are safety issues without mirrors, at least at our traffic situation over here. I would not mind using normal mirrors as shown (fixed arms, low vibration) for touring. For offroad usage (or supermoto battle) fixed mirrors are a bad idea at all, since they may get damaged or -even worse- create damage at handlebar/brake lever/whatever. Also, for emergency situations they may reduce riders maneuverability at handlebar. There are lots of strange situations when mirrors appear inappropriate. So I want to stick with minimal equipment, as small and as flexible as possible, but still within legal bounds. After long years of riding enduro and supermoto style, mostly KTM which were kind of dubious with respect to legal issues, I want to get rid of this. No longer want to spend a thought on it. Open throttle whenever or whereever I like, pass by any stop and search routine check along the road with a smile.
So, these are very conflicting targets for my dual purpose Yamaha, but this is the way to go for me. BTW those ridiculous mirrors would not be a problem at all in case there were better clearing at handlebar/brake reservoir. The adapter solution I am working on is simple (installing some kind of handlebar stub at stock mirror bolt), but it does not look unobtrusive and nice.
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: How far will you go? (on modification)   How far will you go? (on modification) EmptyTue Mar 17, 2009 9:58 am

Here we are supposed to have one mirror to pass as legal. And Mark, your clean bike is just a cover up for the true dirty boy you really are. wink

PostSubject: Re: How far will you go? (on modification)   How far will you go? (on modification) Empty

Back to top Go down

How far will you go? (on modification)
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next