Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Modification of stock WR250 Pipe???

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
MBevans

MBevans

Modification of stock WR250 Pipe??? Empty
PostSubject: Modification of stock WR250 Pipe???   Modification of stock WR250 Pipe??? EmptyTue May 18, 2010 8:04 pm

Hello All, New to this site with a new toy!

I'm gettIing ready to setting up a 2008 model to be a serious dual-sport machine. I understand about making changes to the airbox, a power commander, gearing, skidplate.

Yet my question is is there anything salvagable on the stock exhaust system???? Or should I toss everything and install a complete system???? I am not concerned about the smog stuff, at all............

Thanks much!
Mark
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Modification of stock WR250 Pipe???   Modification of stock WR250 Pipe??? EmptyTue May 18, 2010 8:21 pm

You can gut the can if you want a make work project. Otherwise scrap the can and get a slip-on. From what I've heard about the A/M headers, they don't give you much, so you can save a few bucks there. Running a slip-on with the stock header seems to be what many riders are going with. Modification of stock WR250 Pipe??? 61865

clapped_r6

PostSubject: Re: Modification of stock WR250 Pipe???   Modification of stock WR250 Pipe??? EmptyTue May 18, 2010 8:55 pm

i gutted the cat out of mine, as well as opening up the internal baffles a bit with a hole saw. it runs better, and is still pretty quiet.

it's definitely heavy compared to the aftermarket stuff, but i'll trade that for some dB's.

that, and i can keep the exhaust cover to run saddlebags still.
Back to top Go down
X-Racer

X-Racer

PostSubject: Re: Modification of stock WR250 Pipe???   Modification of stock WR250 Pipe??? EmptyWed May 19, 2010 1:39 am

Welcome Mark....

Nice scooters ya got there !

If you're that serious the weight savings alone drive the replacement decision.

...and if you are that serious you won't want the pipe guard (Although the GYTR pipe would allow for the guard to be used). That's the setup we have on ours. However some use saddlebags on pipes without guards.

Let's see the pics !
Back to top Go down
Krabill

PostSubject: Re: Modification of stock WR250 Pipe???   Modification of stock WR250 Pipe??? EmptyWed May 19, 2010 9:06 am

I gutted my cat and drilled a few holes in the baffles with a hole saw and cut out the EXUP valve on my stock exhaust. It's a bit of work, but you wind up with a quiet exhaust that never needs repacking.
Back to top Go down
MBevans

MBevans

PostSubject: Great Ideas!   Modification of stock WR250 Pipe??? EmptyWed May 19, 2010 9:34 am

Thanks all, you have given me some solid ideas on what to do with this pipe.

In the past I bought a FMF Q2 system w/ powerbomb for my CRF450x, while it still is a killer exhaust system and makes great power/sounds, I wanted a more quieter system.

But for the new Yamaha WR, I will most likely will purchase a slip-on....
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Modification of stock WR250 Pipe???   Modification of stock WR250 Pipe??? EmptyWed May 19, 2010 10:11 am

The quietest slip-on would be the Q4. Modification of stock WR250 Pipe??? 61865

PostSubject: Re: Modification of stock WR250 Pipe???   Modification of stock WR250 Pipe??? Empty

Back to top Go down

Modification of stock WR250 Pipe???
Page 1 of 1