Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Front sprocket removal, uhhh what?

Go down 
+3
YZEtc
f3joel
czarkola
7 posters
AuthorMessage
czarkola

Front sprocket removal, uhhh what? Empty
PostSubject: Front sprocket removal, uhhh what?   Front sprocket removal, uhhh what? EmptyTue Apr 20, 2010 7:27 pm

Having some issues getting the nut off of the front sprocket. I have the bike in first and am holding down the rear brake while attempting to loosen the nut. It is reverse threaded or do I need a much bigger hammer?
Back to top Go down
f3joel

f3joel

PostSubject: Re: Front sprocket removal, uhhh what?   Front sprocket removal, uhhh what? EmptyTue Apr 20, 2010 8:18 pm

It is not reverse threaded.
What I did, with out an impact, was to push the bike where the front wheel was against the brick wall on the outside of my garage. So the bike could not go forward when putting weight into the breaker bar. I also had to use the rear brake to keep the rear wheel from spinning.
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: Front sprocket removal, uhhh what?   Front sprocket removal, uhhh what? EmptyTue Apr 20, 2010 8:32 pm

What I do every time:

*Make sure that both sides of the nut have the peened over parts unpeened so they will clear the indentations in the shaft and unlock the nut.
*Proper-sized socket.
*18-inch breaker bar.
*Bike is 1st gear.
*Stand on the right-hand side of the bike and step on the rear brake pedal.
*Reach over the bike and loosen the nut by pulling up on the breaker bar.

:)
Back to top Go down
X-Racer

X-Racer

PostSubject: Re: Front sprocket removal, uhhh what?   Front sprocket removal, uhhh what? EmptyTue Apr 20, 2010 8:39 pm

...and if none of that works, "I" still equals MA < squared > (i.e. a bigger hammer) Front sprocket removal, uhhh what? 61865
Back to top Go down
czarkola

PostSubject: Re: Front sprocket removal, uhhh what?   Front sprocket removal, uhhh what? EmptyTue Apr 20, 2010 8:52 pm

what's a peen? serious question, i think...

Front sprocket removal, uhhh what? Sprocket

yes it's dirty and pretty well trashed, no it wasn't by my doing...
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: Front sprocket removal, uhhh what?   Front sprocket removal, uhhh what? EmptyTue Apr 20, 2010 8:58 pm

The nut has a raised rib on it.
The shaft has two flat areas, 180 degrees apart.
The nut gets tightened down and the rib gets punched down or peened down into the flat areas.
This locks the nut in place so it won't fall off when you ride the bike.

When removing the nut, you have to straighten out the parts of the rib that got peened down.

Your nut looks like it has either already been unpeened or it wasn't peened down to start with, but I can't say for sure from the pic. :)
Back to top Go down
czarkola

PostSubject: Re: Front sprocket removal, uhhh what?   Front sprocket removal, uhhh what? EmptyWed Apr 21, 2010 10:40 am

it wasn't peened where the two grooves are, but was over the threads. Maybe that was old peening. anyhoo, took a much impact wrench to it and got it off. Thanks for the advice.
Back to top Go down
granite4brains

granite4brains

PostSubject: Re: Front sprocket removal, uhhh what?   Front sprocket removal, uhhh what? EmptySat Jun 12, 2010 12:28 am

YZEtc wrote:
The nut has a raised rib on it.
The shaft has two flat areas, 180 degrees apart.
The nut gets tightened down and the rib gets punched down or peened down into the flat areas.
This locks the nut in place so it won't fall off when you ride the bike.

When removing the nut, you have to straighten out the parts of the rib that got peened down.

Your nut looks like it has either already been unpeened or it wasn't peened down to start with, but I can't say for sure from the pic. :)

Just swapped out a front sprockte, but what's the best way to "repeen" ( or as the say in the manual, stake) the nut once its back on. Had a fairly hefty pair of needle nose plyers that fit just right, but still cant generate the force required with these? Tried other various methods that sorta worked, but there has to be a better way?

Thanks!

EDIT: Also, did everybody else's WR250R come with an o-ring chain with no master link. Reading certain sites sounds like maybe others did not, but the manual sure makes it sound standard?
Back to top Go down
greer

PostSubject: Re: Front sprocket removal, uhhh what?   Front sprocket removal, uhhh what? EmptySat Jun 12, 2010 5:38 am

No master link. I didn't re-stake the nut either, just de-greased and added lock-tite.

Sarah
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: Front sprocket removal, uhhh what?   Front sprocket removal, uhhh what? EmptySat Jun 12, 2010 6:55 am

The original chain uses a riveted master link so it looks like all of the other links in the chain, and all WR-250Rs and Xs come like this, as well as practically all street bikes and dual-purpose bikes these days.
If somebody has a chain with a clip master link, it ain't stock.
This is for the best long-term reliability, and if you were ever just riding along and minding your own bussiness and have your drive chain suddenly wad up into a ball in front of the front sprocket, you'll know what I mean. :)

I'll stake that nut down every time because it only has to come loose once. :)
Back to top Go down
granite4brains

granite4brains

PostSubject: Re: Front sprocket removal, uhhh what?   Front sprocket removal, uhhh what? EmptySat Jun 12, 2010 2:01 pm

YZEtc wrote:
The original chain uses a riveted master link so it looks like all of the other links in the chain, and all WR-250Rs and Xs come like this, as well as practically all street bikes and dual-purpose bikes these days.
If somebody has a chain with a clip master link, it ain't stock.
This is for the best long-term reliability, and if you were ever just riding along and minding your own bussiness and have your drive chain suddenly wad up into a ball in front of the front sprocket, you'll know what I mean. :)

I'll stake that nut down every time because it only has to come loose once. :)

Thanks YZEtc!

I looked a litle further into those other sites I was reading and it turns out they were not talking about a stock chain, so you were right about that

I don't have any experience with this type of chain, but can that riveted master link be removed easily? I'm guessing not since the manual has us removing sprockets, etc and taking off the chain in one peice.

Thanks again
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: Front sprocket removal, uhhh what?   Front sprocket removal, uhhh what? EmptySat Jun 12, 2010 2:38 pm

You disconnect the master link by grinding the rivets down, but you need to have a new master link on hand before you can put the chain back together.
Back to top Go down
Toddwr250r

Toddwr250r

PostSubject: Re: Front sprocket removal, uhhh what?   Front sprocket removal, uhhh what? EmptyThu Apr 14, 2011 6:43 pm

best way i know of to stake the nut is to use a drift and a BFH and make believe that you're setting that drift into a vampire's heart, DRIVE that stake thumb
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Front sprocket removal, uhhh what?   Front sprocket removal, uhhh what? Empty

Back to top Go down

Front sprocket removal, uhhh what?
Page 1 of 1