Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Front sprocket removal

Go down 
+3
YZEtc
cryptomundo
chouser
7 posters
AuthorMessage
chouser

Front sprocket removal Empty
PostSubject: Front sprocket removal   Front sprocket removal EmptyWed Dec 22, 2010 8:51 am

I'm about to attempt this when my 12 tooth arrives in the mail. I've read the many posts on this procedure but none seem to say whether the chain needs to be loosened in order to install the new sprocket.
Thanks in advance!
Back to top Go down
cryptomundo

PostSubject: Re: Front sprocket removal   Front sprocket removal EmptyWed Dec 22, 2010 11:12 am

going from 13 to 12 will leave some slack and you will probably want to make some adjustments.

Back to top Go down
chouser

PostSubject: Re: Front sprocket removal   Front sprocket removal EmptyWed Dec 22, 2010 12:50 pm

cryptomundo wrote:

going from 13 to 12 will leave some slack and you will probably want to make some adjustments.

What I mean is, will the stock sprocket slide right off the shaft without first having to move the rear tire forward?
Thanks
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: Front sprocket removal   Front sprocket removal EmptyWed Dec 22, 2010 4:38 pm

I'd plan on loosening the rear wheel axle and sliding the rear wheel forward to allow plenty of slack.
No big deal since you'll have to make a chain slack adjustment, anyway.
Back to top Go down
kjharn

kjharn

PostSubject: Re: Front sprocket removal   Front sprocket removal EmptyWed Dec 22, 2010 5:51 pm

Doesn't get much easier to adjust than the WR, anyways. So much easier than my old KLR. HATED adjusting that thing.
Back to top Go down
velvetcows

velvetcows

PostSubject: Re: Front sprocket removal   Front sprocket removal EmptyThu Dec 23, 2010 3:02 am

chouser wrote:
I'm about to attempt this when my 12 tooth arrives in the mail. I've read the many posts on this procedure but none seem to say whether the chain needs to be loosened in order to install the new sprocket.
Thanks in advance!

ummm, try it and let us know..... scratch
Back to top Go down
jeffpack1957

PostSubject: Re: Front sprocket removal   Front sprocket removal EmptyThu Dec 23, 2010 3:15 am

Make sure you read the new/improved chain slack adjustment, and not whats in the manual.
If if talks about measured 1.5-1.9 inches, its not the new one.
Back to top Go down
Berwyn Henderson

PostSubject: Re: Front sprocket removal   Front sprocket removal EmptyThu Dec 23, 2010 11:24 am

If the chain gets hot to the touch, it is tooo tight.
Back to top Go down
chouser

PostSubject: Re: Front sprocket removal   Front sprocket removal EmptyThu Dec 23, 2010 6:38 pm

That turned out to be pretty simple. Yes, I did have to move the rear wheel forward to get the chain off. I did do one dumb-ass thing, though. After finishing, I test drove it around the block and while I was standing in the driveway patting myself on the back, I realized that I had forgotten to tighten the rear axle nut. DAMN!!!! I think the 12T is going to be just right for trails and moderate hill climbing, and yes, I did double check everything else.

Thanks for the pointers - especially to the fella that said to stand on the right side with your foot on the brake and pull up.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Front sprocket removal   Front sprocket removal Empty

Back to top Go down

Front sprocket removal
Page 1 of 1