Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Heatshield on the Q4 (Carbon Fiber or OEM)

Go down 
+5
malibu_dan
skierd
3KGT_Maddness
motokid
clint
9 posters
AuthorMessage
clint

Heatshield on the Q4 (Carbon Fiber  or OEM) Empty
PostSubject: Heatshield on the Q4 (Carbon Fiber or OEM)   Heatshield on the Q4 (Carbon Fiber  or OEM) EmptyThu Apr 22, 2010 11:05 am

Well once I ordered the the Q4 exhaust and Pbomb header, I realized that I will have to give up the factory heatshield that is on my OEM can.

Since I believe the heatsheield is actually necessary, I am of the opinion that I will end up having to find a way to re-use the OEM heatshield on the Q4 or make a new one out of Carbon Fiber.

The possibility of re-using the OEM Heatshield to mate up with the Q4 is intriguing to me. I need to do some more research but, if you look at the following pic of the Q4 installed,
https://servimg.com/view/15052549/1

You can see that it roughly matches the contours of the OEM can. It looks like it may be quite possible to use a heat gun to reshape the heatshield somewhat and then use JB Weld to secure the mounting nuts to the Q4. Then, one could mount the Heatshield to them (and they would be covered so you would not see them, if you were less than neat in applying the JB Weld to secure the mounting nuts)

I have also been combing through fleabay for carbon fiber matting and resin, and it seems affordable enough, so I may throw a mockup together using normal fiberglass matting to get the shape down and then create the carbon fiber one.

Making a heatshield from Fiberglass or Carbon Fiber, is not that difficult to do if you have the proper materials to work with and a decent space with good ventillation, so I may still go that route.

Is there anyone out there who would want a carbon Fiber Heatshield for their Q4 or would want to use the OEM Heatshield with it? If so, I can make a how-to write-up illustrating how to do it.
Back to top Go down
clint

PostSubject: RESERVED FOR Write Up   Heatshield on the Q4 (Carbon Fiber  or OEM) EmptyThu Apr 22, 2010 11:06 am

Back to top Go down
clint

PostSubject: Reserved   Heatshield on the Q4 (Carbon Fiber  or OEM) EmptyThu Apr 22, 2010 11:07 am

reserved for write up
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Heatshield on the Q4 (Carbon Fiber or OEM)   Heatshield on the Q4 (Carbon Fiber  or OEM) EmptyThu Apr 22, 2010 12:00 pm

clint wrote:
Since I believe the heatsheield is actually necessary

Just curious. Why is it necessary?

(I can't recall if you have an R, or an X)

And certainly give the write up on how and what you do. That's always helpful and interesting. Lots of pictures are great too. Heatshield on the Q4 (Carbon Fiber  or OEM) 61865

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
3KGT_Maddness

3KGT_Maddness

PostSubject: Re: Heatshield on the Q4 (Carbon Fiber or OEM)   Heatshield on the Q4 (Carbon Fiber  or OEM) EmptyThu Apr 22, 2010 12:29 pm

Probably for 2-UP riding. The person on back must be very cautious in order not to get burned. Thats the whole reason I went with the DR.D exhaust.
Back to top Go down
clint

PostSubject: Re: Heatshield on the Q4 (Carbon Fiber or OEM)   Heatshield on the Q4 (Carbon Fiber  or OEM) EmptyThu Apr 22, 2010 1:32 pm

3KGT_Maddness wrote:
Probably for 2-UP riding. The person on back must be very cautious in order not to get burned. Thats the whole reason I went with the DR.D exhaust.

Not only that, but I plan on adding side bags and the extra heat deflection/protection will help immensely
Back to top Go down
skierd

PostSubject: Re: Heatshield on the Q4 (Carbon Fiber or OEM)   Heatshield on the Q4 (Carbon Fiber  or OEM) EmptyThu Apr 22, 2010 5:26 pm

I'd be interested in a Carbon Fiber shield, but have it attach some other way than JB welding nuts to the O4 can...
Back to top Go down
malibu_dan

malibu_dan

PostSubject: Re: Heatshield on the Q4 (Carbon Fiber or OEM)   Heatshield on the Q4 (Carbon Fiber  or OEM) EmptyThu Apr 22, 2010 6:01 pm

Anyone know what operating temps JB Weld can handle day to day?
Back to top Go down
BigBird

PostSubject: Re: Heatshield on the Q4 (Carbon Fiber or OEM)   Heatshield on the Q4 (Carbon Fiber  or OEM) EmptyThu Apr 22, 2010 6:12 pm

I'd think the best attachement method would be hose clamps around the Q4
Back to top Go down
clint

PostSubject: Re: Heatshield on the Q4 (Carbon Fiber or OEM)   Heatshield on the Q4 (Carbon Fiber  or OEM) EmptyThu Apr 22, 2010 7:38 pm

BigBird wrote:

Yeah my friend Karl and I were talking about using Stainless steel hose clamps with the proper sized nut welded to it, to which the heat shield could be secured. Using some small metal tubing as stand off spacers would probably work out well.

I need to help him get the electrical runs out to his garage finished so we can hook up the Hobart welder so I can practice with Stainless Steel. (Haven't welded in several years so I am rusty as hell)

hmm...looks like I may be running electrical wires this wet rainy weekend coming up tomorrow... GAHHHH
Back to top Go down
matttys

matttys

PostSubject: Re: Heatshield on the Q4 (Carbon Fiber or OEM)   Heatshield on the Q4 (Carbon Fiber  or OEM) EmptyWed Apr 28, 2010 10:13 pm

I had to weld and bend up a piece of chrome moly to keep my Giant Loop bag off the muffler. Works pretty well and keeps my leg off the pipe when I'm offroad.

Heatshield on the Q4 (Carbon Fiber  or OEM) 743604146_KKAvx-M

Heatshield on the Q4 (Carbon Fiber  or OEM) 743604085_MqVJr-M

Heatshield on the Q4 (Carbon Fiber  or OEM) 743604115_StSse-M

Heatshield on the Q4 (Carbon Fiber  or OEM) 743604098_VWxJr-M
Back to top Go down
deerHater

PostSubject: Re: Heatshield on the Q4 (Carbon Fiber or OEM)   Heatshield on the Q4 (Carbon Fiber  or OEM) EmptyThu Apr 29, 2010 6:16 am

Very nice. Heatshield on the Q4 (Carbon Fiber  or OEM) 61865

Can you post close-up pics of the attachment points?

Thanks...
Back to top Go down
edteamslr

edteamslr

PostSubject: Questions, questions...   Heatshield on the Q4 (Carbon Fiber  or OEM) EmptySat May 01, 2010 6:45 am

Couple of Qs.
What diameter tubing did you use for the supports?
What rack is that? What thickness - ally or steel?
What are Giant Loops like on a WR250R?

Thanks

deerHater wrote:

Thanks...
Back to top Go down
matttys

matttys

PostSubject: Re: Heatshield on the Q4 (Carbon Fiber or OEM)   Heatshield on the Q4 (Carbon Fiber  or OEM) EmptySat May 01, 2010 9:25 am

deerHater wrote:

Thanks...

The top mount uses the existing hole in the frame behind the hole the muffler uses. The bottom mount used a longer bolt through the passenger foot peg.
Back to top Go down
BigBird

PostSubject: Re: Heatshield on the Q4 (Carbon Fiber or OEM)   Heatshield on the Q4 (Carbon Fiber  or OEM) EmptyTue May 04, 2010 8:07 pm

clint wrote:
BigBird wrote:

Yeah my friend Karl and I were talking about using Stainless steel hose clamps with the proper sized nut welded to it, to which the heat shield could be secured. Using some small metal tubing as stand off spacers would probably work out well.

Folks, maybe i'm missimg something, but it looks to me like the OEM heatshield can just be placed on the
Q4 at the desired location and then 2 stainless hose clamps can be run around the Q4 and over the outside of the OEM shield
(going under the part above the slot on the shield). IF additional shapeing of the shield is desired that should be easy with a heat gun.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Heatshield on the Q4 (Carbon Fiber or OEM)   Heatshield on the Q4 (Carbon Fiber  or OEM) Empty

Back to top Go down

Heatshield on the Q4 (Carbon Fiber or OEM)
Page 1 of 1