Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Mod feedback

Go down 
+3
SheWolf
YZEtc
blkwrr
7 posters
AuthorMessage
blkwrr

blkwrr

Mod feedback Empty
PostSubject: Mod feedback   Mod feedback EmptyWed Apr 28, 2010 2:40 am

Within weeks of getting the bike I added a GYTR slip on and did the flapper mod (without a programmer) and the improvement was definately worth the investment and a no brainer on this bike. In addition, changing to nobbies and re-gearing to 12 / 47 she is far more dirt worthy whilst still being a capable commuter.

From interest I spoke to a reputable tuner which I've used for other bikes, about what if any self adjusting the O2 sensor would be offering in respect to the exisiting mods / further opening up of the airbox and his response was that the O2 sensor only has an effect when in "cruise" mode and not WOT. His advice therefore was that if the bike is running fine and not showing any sign of being lean (which it's not) then leave it as it is. His honest opinion was that what little gains could be achieved by installing a programmer, increasing the air intake and getting a custom tune would not justify the expense.

To be honest I've never been one for scrimping on $$ when it comes to chasing an extra HP or 10 however I've also always based the success of mods on the seat of the pants gain and not what a dyno sheet tells me. In this instance I'm tending to agree with what my Tuner is telling me. That being the case, I'm off to research suspension mods!
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

Mod feedback Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mod feedback   Mod feedback EmptyWed Apr 28, 2010 6:35 am

If that means that installing a fuel programmer ain't worth it, I can't disagree more.

I had a programmer (PC lll) on my WR-250R and rode for a month with it, removed it for one ride after it shit the bed (quit working), and then installed another one (FMF) after that one ride.
Compared to how the bike ran before that one ride, the throttle response sucked big time.

You don't need to get a custom tune on a dyno, and I doubt the vast majority of riders on here with fuel programmers do that.
If you choose to, well, that's fine and dandy.

Sure, your bike will run the way it is, but it will only get better if you add the next item.
Maybe the guy telling you this didn't care too much about the little WR-250X or R. :)
Back to top Go down
blkwrr

blkwrr

Mod feedback Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mod feedback   Mod feedback EmptyWed Apr 28, 2010 8:26 am

YZEtc wrote:
If that means that installing a fuel programmer ain't worth it, I can't disagree more. No, it means in my case its not worth it.

I had a programmer (PC lll) on my WR-250R and rode for a month with it, removed it for one ride after it shit the bed (quit working), and then installed another one (FMF) after that one ride.
Compared to how the bike ran before that one ride, the throttle response sucked big time. Given the way your bike behaved without a programmer I can fully understand why you were keen to reinstall a programmer. In my case however the bike runs perfectly, throttle response is immediate, with no signs of anything synonomous with a bike that is running lean (flatspots, decel pops anemic sparkplug)

You don't need to get a custom tune on a dyno, and I doubt the vast majority of riders on here with fuel programmers do that.
If you choose to, well, that's fine and dandy. IMO, given that every bike is different, I dont understand why anyone would spend the $1,100 dollars (Aust. prices) on a pipe and a good programmer and then settle for a generic tune without ever knowing if it's the perfect match for their bike, least of all whether the AFR's are ideal, when for an exta $250 hey can get a custom tune which if done by the right person will get the absolute maximum out of their investment to date.

Sure, your bike will run the way it is, but it will only get better if you add the next item. Maybe the guy telling you this didn't care too much about the little WR-250X or R. :)
The tuner I'm referring to is pretty much the go to guy for anyone racing bikes in the state. The fact that he is prepared to turn away business rather than take my money on the false pretence that I will see any worthwhile benefit should tell you something about his integrity and professionilsm.
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

Mod feedback Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mod feedback   Mod feedback EmptyWed Apr 28, 2010 9:40 am

I know here in NA the bike is already lean stock. I asked around before I bought mine, and when I had a mechanic who races bikes tell me that getting a tuner would be the smartest thing I could do if I was going to put on another can, I was put at ease. Even the two guys I asked at the head of Yamaha told me that it's one of the better mods to put on the bike, even if you DON'T put on a can. They weren't pushing me to buy one, but they told me that running the bike without a tuner and using an A/M can was a crap shoot. It was being plain honest. I can tell you that from my experience, riding my bike a while before the tuner and now having ridden it with the tuner, the throttle response is like night and day. I never did a dyno, and I'm the typical seat of the pants rider. After getting the pipe and modding the airbox, setting the tuner and riding it, it's a completely different bike. I think that $170 is pretty cheap for a tuner, considering a pipe is twice as much if not more.

motokid

Mod feedback Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mod feedback   Mod feedback EmptyWed Apr 28, 2010 10:49 am

How you spend your money, and on what mods is up to you.

I've not ever heard one person complain about the money they've spent on EFI units for their wr250r/x.

Perhaps your "race mechanic" simply does not know enough about a single cylinder, 250cc, fuel injected dual purpose/supermoto motocycle?

I would not expect an F1 mechanic to know everything about Chrysler mini-van engines.

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
skierd

Mod feedback Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mod feedback   Mod feedback EmptyWed Apr 28, 2010 12:03 pm

Most of the info on the net right now about power modifications and the WR250R are based on the North American model which runs a different factory muffler, different ECU without an o2 sensor, and presumably different fueling maps. The overseas bikes might be tuned better from the start and might be able to compensate for an aftermarket pipe without changes... and it might not be. Put it on the dyno or at least get an a/f meter to read off of the o2 sensor to find out for sure, until then everything is just guess work.

Even still, there are probably gains to be had with an aftermarket controller. Changing the airflow of the engine will shift the power curve around and tuning will let you maximize the gain.
Back to top Go down
clint

Mod feedback Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mod feedback   Mod feedback EmptyWed Apr 28, 2010 1:32 pm

blkwrr wrote:
The tuner I'm referring to is pretty much the go to guy for anyone racing bikes in the state. The fact that he is prepared to turn away business rather than take my money on the false pretence that I will see any worthwhile benefit should tell you something about his integrity and professionilsm.

I bet the top of the line horse and carraige tuner told people to stay away from that new fangled contraption called the "car".

It's the 21st century. Fuel Injection is not perfect, but these fuel management systems have been dyno tested and proven beyond a shadow of a doubt to improve performance and reliability. What it tells me is your tuner doesn't want to fool with them. Hey, that's his choice. I'm sure his competitors will appreciate it.

By the way, "professionalism" has nothing to do with whether or not he recommends something...it has to do not with "what" he knows, but how he acts in his business relationship with customers. You can be as professional as you like and still be wrong. As is the case here.
Back to top Go down
blkwrr

blkwrr

Mod feedback Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mod feedback   Mod feedback EmptyWed Apr 28, 2010 9:57 pm

clint wrote:
blkwrr wrote:

I bet the top of the line horse and carraige tuner told people to stay away from that new fangled contraption called the "car".

It's the 21st century. Fuel Injection is not perfect, but these fuel management systems have been dyno tested and proven beyond a shadow of a doubt to improve performance and reliability. What it tells me is your tuner doesn't want to fool with them. Hey, that's his choice. I'm sure his competitors will appreciate it.

By the way, "professionalism" has nothing to do with whether or not he recommends something...it has to do not with "what" he knows, but how he acts in his business relationship with customers. You can be as professional as you like and still be wrong. As is the case here.

Whoa there fella, thats alot of conclusions you've drawn from one misread post.

Now your obviously a full bottle on all this stuff but nevertheless you may want to consider the remote possibility that the Oz spec wrr's can handle a pipe and flapper mod only, without having the need for a programmer.

For what it's worth I have had two other bikes, one of which being a 700 raptor thats curently sat in the shed, that have been fitted with PC111's and tuned by the guy I've referred to. As hard as it may be for you to get your head around, it's not that he is uncapable of tuning a complex little one pot 250 but moreso the justification of taking my money in return for a minimal improvement on what in his opinion was a bike that was already running perfectly ok.
Back to top Go down
wilburj

wilburj

Mod feedback Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mod feedback   Mod feedback EmptyThu Apr 29, 2010 3:23 pm

To some degree blkwrr's tuner is right----The Wr does run well without any mods. But if you want to mod then do it, but it seems like you are jumping on blkwrr for stating an opinion as if you need to justify your cash spent on a pc111. Seems pretty dismal to me. wilburj
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

Mod feedback Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mod feedback   Mod feedback EmptyThu Apr 29, 2010 8:59 pm

wilburj wrote:
To some degree blkwrr's tuner is right----The Wr does run well without any mods. But if you want to mod then do it, but it seems like you are jumping on blkwrr for stating an opinion as if you need to justify your cash spent on a pc111. Seems pretty dismal to me. wilburj

My opinion:
I thought my bone-stock WR-250R ran like shit, and when I say "shit", I don't mean it didn't run in a civilized and reliable manner, but I do mean it lacked good throttle response and lacked something that felt like acceleration.
It was a dog.

After doing the mods that everyone else does, I liked the bike much better and I'm currently having a ball wringing it out all over the place.

When I first rode the bike I was quite bummed, and before the engine had cooled, I was on here reading about how to get it to run in a respectable manner.

Fact:
If I was told I had to put the bike back to stock and ride it like that, I'd sell it. :)
Back to top Go down
wilburj

wilburj

Mod feedback Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mod feedback   Mod feedback EmptyFri Apr 30, 2010 10:59 am

No matter if we do the mods or not ---you said it right it is fun to ring the neck of the WrR ain't it so wilburj
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Mod feedback Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mod feedback   Mod feedback Empty

Back to top Go down

Mod feedback
Page 1 of 1