Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Heads up stock tyres!!!

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
mash100

mash100

Heads up stock tyres!!! Empty
PostSubject: Heads up stock tyres!!!   Heads up stock tyres!!! EmptyWed Apr 28, 2010 3:22 am

I have just spent a week getting to the bottom of a weird problem. Rear stock tyre was fried, so I called around to get a replacement Battlax BT090. It seems the rear fitted at the factory is BT090 'G' - specific for the X. There is another tyre, BT090 'PRO' which looks the same, but apparently was not 'supported by Yamaha'. Of course, the 'G' is not available currently in the UK, & Bridgestone say they are discontinuing it..... So, after several emails, Yamaha at first say the 'PRO' will not work on the X, Bridgestone then recommend BT003RS (VERY expensive). Yamaha then tell me BT003RS is not supported either, but having gone through their tech department, they now say the BT090 'PRO' is in fact OK(!!!!!!) When the front finally wears out, which I assume will be same time as this new rear, I will be looking at alternative 'adventure' type tyres (Distanzia??)
So, I got one fitted on Saturday, & have done nearly 100 miles of scrubbing in, although the Battlax is so sticky, it hardly seems to need it!

Anyone else had a similar issue in North America/elsewhere on this??
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Heads up stock tyres!!!   Heads up stock tyres!!! EmptyWed Apr 28, 2010 5:25 am

What do you mean by "supported by Yamaha"?

You have a rim. It's a set size. It will accept certain size tires and it won't accept all the others.

Find one that fits the rim, meets your needs based on the riding you do or want to do, and falls into a personally acceptable price range and you are good to go.

I've never heard of a "Yamaha supported tire".

Most people can't wait to trash the tires the factory puts on these bikes with something BETTER.

So what exactly are you talking about?

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
mash100

mash100

PostSubject: Re: Heads up stock tyres!!!   Heads up stock tyres!!! EmptyWed Apr 28, 2010 6:15 am

motokid wrote:
What do you mean by "supported by Yamaha"?

You have a rim. It's a set size. It will accept certain size tires and it won't accept all the others.

Find one that fits the rim, meets your needs based on the riding you do or want to do, and falls into a personally acceptable price range and you are good to go.

I've never heard of a "Yamaha supported tire".

Most people can't wait to trash the tires the factory puts on these bikes with something BETTER.

So what exactly are you talking about?

Check it out: http://mc.bridgestone.co.jp/en/products/battlax/bt090.html

Notice the WR250X 'specific' tyre. I was mainly concerned that I would end up with a non-matching front/rear pair, & the 'recommended rim' being different on the BT090 chart. At least I hope I have made Yamaha aware of this - you never know, they might even write to their main dealers!!!
Oh, & yes, as per my original post, when the front tyre is toast, I will def be looking at alternatives, probably an 'adventure' type.....
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Heads up stock tyres!!!   Heads up stock tyres!!! EmptyWed Apr 28, 2010 6:27 am

That's a Bridgestone site and I think the "designation" for the wr250 is proabably based on tubes, versus tubeless.

Having matching profiles is important. So if you did not change your front tire it makes perfect sense to simply replace the rear with the same thing you removed.

I just thought the idea of "Yamaha supported" was interesting enough to discuss.

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: Heads up stock tyres!!!   Heads up stock tyres!!! EmptyWed Apr 28, 2010 6:43 am

This has always been the case:
A bike will come with tires that the OEM says, basically, "Use this tire only, or don't sue us if you wreck."

There can be two tires, each with the same model designation (BT090, etc.), but one will have a little letter on the sidewall that is supposed to mean that THAT one is the official replacement tire.
Supposedly, they are constructed a bit differently.
I'm taking their word on it because I've never watched the tires being built.
Also, I've usually replaced the original tires with whatever I wanted. :)

Last edited by YZEtc on Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
mash100

mash100

PostSubject: Re: Heads up stock tyres!!!   Heads up stock tyres!!! EmptyWed Apr 28, 2010 6:44 am

Yep, fair comment.

Basically, the stock tyre is specifically a tubed variant, with the no-stock item tubeless. Both tyre shop, & Yamaha UK have since confirmed the tubeless version fitted with tube should be OK.
I'm still a bit surprised that the specific tyre has been discontinued (at least in UK), despite being fitted at factory to a current model. Surely this should be considered as a 'spare part'???????
Back to top Go down
WRoldman

WRoldman

PostSubject: Re: Heads up stock tyres!!!   Heads up stock tyres!!! EmptyWed Apr 28, 2010 10:36 am

I was under the impression that the 090 PRO was the track oriented version.
Back to top Go down
mash100

mash100

PostSubject: Re: Heads up stock tyres!!!   Heads up stock tyres!!! EmptyWed Apr 28, 2010 10:57 am

WRoldman wrote:
I was under the impression that the 090 PRO was the track oriented version.

The factory fit tyre has the letter 'G' stamped on it - this appears to be the difference from the 'other' version, which also has 'tubeless' stamped on it. Go figure.....

I am a total NooB, so have no experience of track racing; maybe there is a slight difference in handling when on the limit??????
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Heads up stock tyres!!!   Heads up stock tyres!!! Empty

Back to top Go down

Heads up stock tyres!!!
Page 1 of 1