Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

New Tyres/Tires.....

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
mash100

mash100

New Tyres/Tires..... Empty
PostSubject: New Tyres/Tires.....   New Tyres/Tires..... EmptyWed Apr 07, 2010 3:13 am

My X is on stock Bridgestone BT090 tyres, nearly done 3000 miles & the rear is looking pretty worn - I suspect replacement is due in 500 miles. Anyhow, part of my commute is through a farm track, which has a lot of really sharp, fine gravel around. The BT's pick up a couple of pieces almost every time, which I then have to pick out with a small screwdriver. Should I be worried? Maybe get some less sticky/more dirt oriented rubber? Keep with the Bridgestones (which I REALLY like on-road)? Presumably the risk of puncture from a 1.5mm piece of gravel is pretty low? I'm confused, & sadly not a tyre (sorry, 'tire') expert!
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: New Tyres/Tires.....   New Tyres/Tires..... EmptyWed Apr 07, 2010 6:29 am

Since those are 100% street tires and aren't meant for off-road use at all, I'm assuming you're taking it pretty slowly while off the road.
Myself, if I were taking it slowly, I wouldn't be too worried.
I certainly wouldn't want to push it over anything wet, slick, or too rough. :)
Back to top Go down
mash100

mash100

PostSubject: Re: New Tyres/Tires.....   New Tyres/Tires..... EmptyWed Apr 07, 2010 1:52 pm

YZEtc wrote:
Since those are 100% street tires and aren't meant for off-road use at all, I'm assuming you're taking it pretty slowly while off the road.
Myself, if I were taking it slowly, I wouldn't be too worried.
I certainly wouldn't want to push it over anything wet, slick, or too rough. :)
Well my commute is not stricktly off-road; there is just a compacted dirt track for a couple hundred yards towards the end, with some very fine, sharp gravel. No river bed/forest etc. I am just a bit worried that this is not the ideal terrain for sticky BT 090s & wondered which slightly more 'rough' biased, if at all, tyres I should be looking at? As I said, I really like the BTs on good roads - the bike gives great confidence & sticks like its on rails!
Back to top Go down
deerHater

PostSubject: Re: New Tyres/Tires.....   New Tyres/Tires..... EmptyWed Apr 07, 2010 2:38 pm

mash100 wrote:
I really like the BTs on good roads - the bike gives great confidence & sticks like its on rails!
No complaints about grip with the 090, but on our 140/70/17 the profile is quite flat. I've already scrubed in the tires right to the edge, and I don't think I have been that far leaned over. And that's a shame because the WRX has GREAT cornering clearance, but I would hate to run out of tire.

I'll probably try these next:
http://mc.bridgestone.co.jp/en/products/battlax/bt003rs.html
Back to top Go down
mash100

mash100

PostSubject: Re: New Tyres/Tires.....   New Tyres/Tires..... EmptyFri Apr 09, 2010 4:38 pm

deerHater wrote:
mash100 wrote:
I really like the BTs on good roads - the bike gives great confidence & sticks like its on rails!
No complaints about grip with the 090, but on our 140/70/17 the profile is quite flat. I've already scrubed in the tires right to the edge, and I don't think I have been that far leaned over. And that's a shame because the WRX has GREAT cornering clearance, but I would hate to run out of tire.

I'll probably try these next:
http://mc.bridgestone.co.jp/en/products/battlax/bt003rs.html
BT003 looks good, but a bit racy for my needs. I have seen Dunlop Trailmax TR91 advertised, but I'm not sure if the 80 profile will work with the X. This to me is the ideal tyre for me, but if the profile is no good, what are the alternatives????
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New Tyres/Tires.....   New Tyres/Tires..... Empty

Back to top Go down

New Tyres/Tires.....
Page 1 of 1