Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

FMF Programmer install - HELP!!!

Go down 
+3
njbill
mattf
mkearl
7 posters
AuthorMessage
mkearl

mkearl

FMF Programmer install - HELP!!! Empty
PostSubject: FMF Programmer install - HELP!!!   FMF Programmer install - HELP!!! EmptySat May 08, 2010 1:34 pm

So I installed the programmer per the instruction. Connected the cable to the negative (-) post and connected the two connectors under the fuel tank. There are no other connections to hook up. When I turn the bike on the 1 and 8 lights alternate flashing green/red for a few sections. According to the manual that is a bad thing. Any ideas? I tried to call the help desk and they are not open today. The installation under the seat is pretty easy (once you identify the correct connector to unhook) so I don't see how I could have screwed that part up.
Anyone else have the same problem. Did I just get a faulty programmer? FMF Programmer install - HELP!!! 490865

Mark K.
Back to top Go down
mattf

PostSubject: Re: FMF Programmer install - HELP!!!   FMF Programmer install - HELP!!! EmptySat May 08, 2010 2:39 pm

I had a heck of a time getting one end of the connector seated all the way, make sure it is all the way in, I believe there is a click when it is. other than that I'm not sure what else it could be, hopefully you don't have a bad programmer.
Back to top Go down
njbill

njbill

PostSubject: Re: FMF Programmer install - HELP!!!   FMF Programmer install - HELP!!! EmptySat May 08, 2010 4:25 pm

mattf wrote:
I had a heck of a time getting one end of the connector seated all the way, make sure it is all the way in, I believe there is a click when it is. other than that I'm not sure what else it could be, hopefully you don't have a bad programmer.

+1 I just did this an hour ago. It definitely needs to click.
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: FMF Programmer install - HELP!!!   FMF Programmer install - HELP!!! EmptySat May 08, 2010 5:11 pm

You might have to trim the rubber boot a bit for it to fit all the way in. Mark had to do that with his. The 'Tude seems to be a bit easier to clip together, but it's the same plug setup.

mwakey

PostSubject: Re: FMF Programmer install - HELP!!!   FMF Programmer install - HELP!!! EmptySat May 08, 2010 6:04 pm

SheWolf wrote:
You might have to trim the rubber boot a bit for it to fit all the way in. Mark had to do that with his. The 'Tude seems to be a bit easier to clip together, but it's the same plug setup.

You're right Wolfie. I had to trim the seal inside the FMF plug. If you disconnect the plug under the tank and look inside the FMF end, you will see a square double lip seal that you can pull out with a small pick or something. Trim off one layer of the seal and reinstall, then it will "click" all the way together when you put it back into the factory plug.
Back to top Go down
mkearl

mkearl

PostSubject: FMF Programmer install - HELP!!!   FMF Programmer install - HELP!!! EmptySat May 08, 2010 7:35 pm

Thank you for the feedback. I will try trimming the plug like everyone has suggested. Both of them clicked when I plugged them in but maybe not enough. FMF Programmer install - HELP!!! 29721

I will try and report back.

Mark K.
Back to top Go down
mkearl

mkearl

PostSubject: FMF Programmer install - HELP CONTINUED!!!!   FMF Programmer install - HELP!!! EmptySat May 08, 2010 8:07 pm

I took the orange rubber seal out of the female end from the FMF programmer and trimmed it back. Still no work. I took the orange rubber seal out of the female end of both the bike and the FMF completely to see if that wasn't allowing the male end to seat properly. Still didn't work. Did anyone do anything other than trim the orange rubber seal? Both plugs click when I push them together. Do I need to do any trimming to the hard plastic (not just the orange rubber seal)? FMF Programmer install - HELP!!! 9356 FMF Programmer install - HELP!!! 9356 FMF Programmer install - HELP!!! 9356

BTW - I plugged the two bike plugs back together and the bike starts so at least I haven't wrecked anything.

This sucks. I was so pleased when I found the correct plug and plugged the FMF in. Seemed so easy and simple until I turned the bike on to test it. FMF Programmer install - HELP!!! 9356 FMF Programmer install - HELP!!! 9356 FMF Programmer install - HELP!!! 9356

Mark K.
Back to top Go down
mwakey

mwakey

PostSubject: Re: FMF Programmer install - HELP!!!   FMF Programmer install - HELP!!! EmptySun May 09, 2010 3:48 pm

So are you saying the bike won't run at all with the FMF connected?
Back to top Go down
mkearl

mkearl

PostSubject: FMF Programmer install - HELP!!!   FMF Programmer install - HELP!!! EmptySun May 09, 2010 5:51 pm

I haven't tried to start it but the instructions say if it flashes green/red that it is not hooked up properly.

Mark K.
Back to top Go down
mwakey

mwakey

PostSubject: Re: FMF Programmer install - HELP!!!   FMF Programmer install - HELP!!! EmptySun May 09, 2010 8:54 pm

mkearl wrote:
I haven't tried to start it but the instructions say if it flashes green/red that it is not hooked up properly.

Mark K.

The instructions say that if the 1 and 8 lights are flashing AFTER you start the bike then something is wrong. Don't worry about what the lights are doing BEFORE you start it. It's not going to hurt anything to fire the bike up and test it out.
Back to top Go down
mkearl

mkearl

PostSubject: FMF Programmer install - HELP!!!   FMF Programmer install - HELP!!! EmptyMon May 10, 2010 12:21 am

MWAKEY,

Thank you for your email. I am officially a moron. As you correctly pointed out the green/red flashing is only a bad think if it continues after you turn on the bike and start the bike. Once I started the bike the green/red went away and the green lights flashed back and forth as they are supposed to do. FMF Programmer install - HELP!!! 525406

As it turns out I had it installed properly the first time. I probably disconnected and reconnected it at least 20 times even though I had it right all along.

Feel free to have a chuckle at my expense and thanks for your persistence/suggestion.

Mark K.
Back to top Go down
clint

PostSubject: Re: FMF Programmer install - HELP!!!   FMF Programmer install - HELP!!! EmptyMon May 10, 2010 4:56 am

mkearl wrote:
MWAKEY,

Thank you for your email. I am officially a moron. As you correctly pointed out the green/red flashing is only a bad think if it continues after you turn on the bike and start the bike. Once I started the bike the green/red went away and the green lights flashed back and forth as they are supposed to do. FMF Programmer install - HELP!!! 525406

As it turns out I had it installed properly the first time. I probably disconnected and reconnected it at least 20 times even though I had it right all along.

Feel free to have a chuckle at my expense and thanks for your persistence/suggestion.

Mark K.

Don't beat yourself up, we've ALL done something similar at one point or another when we were first learning about motorcycles.

Main thing is, it's working so go have some fun. freaky
Back to top Go down
Matty

Matty

PostSubject: Re: FMF Programmer install - HELP!!!   FMF Programmer install - HELP!!! EmptyMon May 10, 2010 10:47 am

mkearl wrote:

Mark K.

FMF Programmer install - HELP!!! 851577 FMF Programmer install - HELP!!! 851577 FMF Programmer install - HELP!!! 851577 Only cause you told us too. Lol. We've all done some stupid sh*t.
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: FMF Programmer install - HELP!!!   FMF Programmer install - HELP!!! EmptyMon May 10, 2010 11:19 am

More than once.... FMF Programmer install - HELP!!! 810411

mkearl

PostSubject: FMF Programmer install - HELP!!!!   FMF Programmer install - HELP!!! EmptyMon May 10, 2010 11:57 am

I guess the only positive is that is has been really cold here (highs of 35 degrees for my American friends) so I didn't miss any riding time. FMF Programmer install - HELP!!! 93746

Mark K.
Back to top Go down
mwakey

mwakey

PostSubject: Re: FMF Programmer install - HELP!!!   FMF Programmer install - HELP!!! EmptyMon May 10, 2010 1:41 pm

Glad I could help. Something just didn't sound right with your problem, so I had to get out my instructions and re-read them. deal

Enjoy the ride!!
Back to top Go down
mkearl

mkearl

PostSubject: FMF Programmer install - HELP!!!   FMF Programmer install - HELP!!! EmptyMon May 10, 2010 1:49 pm

Thanks again. Glad someone can read closely. FMF Programmer install - HELP!!! 986936

Mark K.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: FMF Programmer install - HELP!!!   FMF Programmer install - HELP!!! Empty

Back to top Go down

FMF Programmer install - HELP!!!
Page 1 of 1