Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Sleepless in Seattle

Go down 
+2
Boondocker
Mr.Metal
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Mr.Metal

Mr.Metal

Sleepless in Seattle Empty
PostSubject: Sleepless in Seattle   Sleepless in Seattle EmptyThu May 27, 2010 3:24 pm

I guess I should introduce myself here, since doing so in a technical thread isn't the best practice Sleepless in Seattle 986936

I picked up an '09 WRR a few weeks ago, after reading more than 600 pages of the ADV thread, numerous posts on this forum, doing a lot of reading on the usual sites (HF and Krabil's page, Rick Ramsey, Big Dog, etc.), and finally taking the '09 for a test ride. I felt like I already knew the bike when I took that test ride, and the sweet, sweet handling just sealed the deal.

I already have a well-farkled '08 V-Strom, but it's my all-around daily commuter. I don't have the heart (nor the desire) to beat it up off road too much. And, honestly, it can't handle much beyond a forest road or a hard trail. I truly feel that the WRR is the perfect stable mate for my DL, big brother and little brother, each experts in slightly different areas, yet both jacks of all trades.

The WRR is undergoing some (typical) modifications and is a work in progress. Since I live in Seattle, the closest "offroading" is about 30 miles away. The WRR handles the slab like a champ (and keeps me from getting MORE speeding tickets), and it's an absolute blast offroad.

I hope to be a contributing member to this collective. It's good to find another family Sleepless in Seattle 500735
Back to top Go down
Boondocker

Boondocker

PostSubject: Welcome   Sleepless in Seattle EmptyThu May 27, 2010 4:06 pm

In case it was in poor form to welcome you on a technical thread, I'll welcome you here to amend my forum faux pas.

I commend your diligent research before buying this bike even though I was sold long before absorbing that much information. It's always nice to be validated, but the grin under my helmet is good enough for me.

My first-ride impression of the WRR was one of almost vertigo. The V-Strom is by no means a short bike, but actually seeing the front fender of the WRR gave me the sensation of going over the bars. Once I got used to that, I was pleasantly surprised at the smoothness of the 250cc single, stability at speed, and how well it tracked through corners wearing factory Trailwings. Joy is in the dirt. The relatively light weight, good ergos, ground clearance, and very good suspension make dirt the WRR's true purpose. That fact that it does street so well is a nice bonus. Now when I get back on the Strom, it feels like a cruiser until I settle into the ride and realize how well suited it is in its element.

My only problem now is what to call the WR205R. When I'm heading out the door and my wife asks what bike I'm riding, I can't say I'm taking a Wee or I'm taking a WRR. They're both blue, so that distinction is out. I don't name my vehicles because they're inanimate. For now I just call it the 250, but that's a boring name.

Enjoy your new ride, whatever you call it. Sleepless in Seattle 61865
Back to top Go down
Mr.Metal

Mr.Metal

PostSubject: Re: Sleepless in Seattle   Sleepless in Seattle EmptyThu May 27, 2010 4:52 pm

Thank you for the welcome... again Sleepless in Seattle 61865

I over-research anything I buy, it's a gift and a curse. This bike seemed like the right choice in many ways, though. I always tend to end up with things that have a cult-like following, the Wee and the WRR being prime examples. This seems like a good family.

To me, the weirdest part about the WRR was the weight.. or lack thereof. I know it's called a heavy bike, but compared to my DL, and my VTX prior to that, it's a paperweight. I still find it amusing that I can have so much fun (and achieve so much speed) on a bike I can pick up off the ground. Plus, the flickability is exactly what I wanted for the dirt.

I did have to adjust my style of riding a bit, something that I figured out naturally after a few miles on a forest road. This little blue wonder likes to REV! Oh man, does it like to rev! I realized how much more alive and happy it seems once you get the RPMs up... up... way up! Sleepless in Seattle 525406

As for naming... both my bikes have names. See the signature ;)
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Sleepless in Seattle   Sleepless in Seattle EmptyThu May 27, 2010 4:56 pm

Sleepless in Seattle 93746 Intros are good, doesn't matter what time you do it. Welcome to the pack! Sleepless in Seattle 61865 Just when it seems you've done all you can mod wise, something else comes up. Oh well, personalizing the bike to your needs is what it's all about. Sleepless in Seattle 810411

inspector

PostSubject: Re: Sleepless in Seattle   Sleepless in Seattle EmptyThu May 27, 2010 6:27 pm

Welcome, HI!

*^I don't give those out just in any old thread! Very happy
Back to top Go down
X-Racer

X-Racer

PostSubject: Re: Sleepless in Seattle   Sleepless in Seattle EmptyThu May 27, 2010 9:18 pm

Mr. Metal... Right on. You must rock so the WR roll has got the beat. Welcome.... Now get some sleep. Sleepless in Seattle 93746

Quote :
I don't name my vehicles because they're inanimate.

* Gasp * Don't you let our bikes hear that !

Instead of those lil people (family) decals some have on their minivans, we have one with our bikes.

There's Yanni (Yamaha), Katie & Katrina (KTMs), Henry and Hunnie (Hondas), Matt Mladin (Suzuki) and Siouxie (The YZF).

Her's are all men names and mine, women. Each one has a distinctively different personality and character. * laughing *
Back to top Go down
Mr.Metal

Mr.Metal

PostSubject: Re: Sleepless in Seattle   Sleepless in Seattle EmptySun May 30, 2010 2:24 pm

You guys crack me up Sleepless in Seattle 851577
Back to top Go down
X-Racer

X-Racer

PostSubject: Re: Sleepless in Seattle   Sleepless in Seattle EmptySun May 30, 2010 2:55 pm

What ? * looks around * Who ? Us ? * chuckle * Sleepless in Seattle 851577
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Sleepless in Seattle   Sleepless in Seattle EmptySun May 30, 2010 4:57 pm

*points at Rob and giggles*

The WR airstrip is open for business... Sleepless in Seattle 93746

Mr.Metal

PostSubject: Re: Sleepless in Seattle   Sleepless in Seattle EmptySun May 30, 2010 5:40 pm

I live in a pretty suburban neighborhood outside of Seattle, but my house is on a small hill. So, my front yard is basically a hill from the sidewalk to my house/back yard. I swear, ever since I got the WRR, I've been looking at that hill... thinking... I need to ride up it.. and down, and back up... screw the grass Sleepless in Seattle 379944
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Sleepless in Seattle   Sleepless in Seattle EmptySun May 30, 2010 10:02 pm

A couple of bobcat loads of dirt and you can have a nice jump in between. Sleepless in Seattle 810411

X-Racer

PostSubject: Re: Sleepless in Seattle   Sleepless in Seattle EmptySun May 30, 2010 10:40 pm

I can see a step-up jump, double-down in the plans and outside speakers with Seattle grunge music blaring. Sleepless in Seattle 983966

Got a micro-brew nearby ? Ask us over. We're here to help. Call us your "Support Group".

Edit: We need pics please.
Back to top Go down
Dana44

PostSubject: Re: Sleepless in Seattle   Sleepless in Seattle EmptyThu Jun 03, 2010 6:30 pm

Hey Metal. The hill thing got me.

I have a steep one leading right up to our house in W.Seattle. I keep popping wheelies off it on the way home.
Makes me smile every time. Sleepless in Seattle 61865
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sleepless in Seattle   Sleepless in Seattle Empty

Back to top Go down

Sleepless in Seattle
Page 1 of 1