Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Wait or Buy Now?

Go down 
+11
deerHater
ZED
R_Lefebvre
Ozy
Midnite171
clint
X-Racer
SheWolf
njbill
olddog
Archie
15 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Archie

Wait or Buy Now? Empty
PostSubject: Wait or Buy Now?   Wait or Buy Now? EmptySun May 30, 2010 10:57 am

It's been a few years since I owned a motorcycle and I've never had a street legal. I do have a license though. I'm ready to buy, but I can't decide what to get. I've considered a XR650L, a DRZ400S, and of course this WR250R. A Friend of mine has the XR650 that I ride, and it has a lot of power, but is very heavy feeling on trails. I love the looks of the WRR, but I've never ridden one and I'm really concerned if I just buy one without a test ride that I'll be disappointed in the amount of power it has. If Yamaha had a WR450R I would buy it immediately, but they don't. I'm trying to decide if I should wait until the 2011 models come out to see if they have one, buy the 250 now, or go with the honda or a Suzuki for a compromise between the two. Anybody have an idea of what the 250 would be worth if I bought it now, then Yamaha releases a 450 with the 2011 lineup....because I know I would want to trade it in and I'm worried about losing my butt!! Would I be totally disappointed in power with the WRR after being used to riding a XR650L? Thanks for any input!
Back to top Go down
olddog

Wait or Buy Now? Empty
PostSubject: choices   Wait or Buy Now? EmptySun May 30, 2010 11:29 am

If it's just the power, then the XR, but the WRR will feel a lot better off road. 50 pounds is a lot of weight, especially when you get it moving fast, and the 6 speed transmission really works for the WRR off road. Then you ride a 250 short stroke motor differently, as they say it doesn't mind the revs, in fact it loves them. Even though it may always have less power you may find yourself faster on the WRR. Back in the dark ages I competed on both open class machines and 250's. I would finish on the opens and on a rare occasion get a trophy on a 250.
Hope you get a chance to get some test rides, but keep in mind, most dealers only let you test on pavement. The WRR is actually very good on pavement, but you seem to go through 3 gear changes before you get 100 feet. It's those lower gears that make it good off road. The XR and the DRZ, 5 speed transmissions don't match the WRR here.

Just my opinion,
Art
Back to top Go down
njbill

njbill

Wait or Buy Now? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wait or Buy Now?   Wait or Buy Now? EmptySun May 30, 2010 11:45 am

The XR650L is very old technology. In the hands of comparable riders, the WR250R will walk all over a XR650L off-road. I would not trade my WR250R for any 650. However, if you must have a 650, get the KTM, BMW or Husky.

As far as waiting for a WR450R, I have not heard anything official about such a bike. I do not see that happening soon; if ever.

Last edited by njbill on Sun May 30, 2010 4:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

Wait or Buy Now? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wait or Buy Now?   Wait or Buy Now? EmptySun May 30, 2010 1:05 pm

Hmmm...we've seen a lot of riders face that wall. A lot of them have gone to the R² and absolutely LOVE it. I agree with the waiting for the 450 to come out; who knows if it will ever happen. You could be passing up a lot of fun rides in the meantime with the 250. From what I've seen with the R². the resale on this bike is pretty good. Most of the ones I've seen that have gone cheap are because the person was forced to get rid of it and didn't really want to...if given the choice they would have kept it. So far these bikes don't last long on the market when they do go up for sale. I know that here, I have only seen 1 bike come back on a trade-in and it was sold the same day it came in, not to mention it was only $800 less that the sticker price. To me, that's a pretty good turnaround price, and depreciation was minimal. Wait or Buy Now? 61865 If you know someone or maybe, someone on here who lives near you, might be willing to let you take a rip on theirs. All I know is when I got my butt on one, I was hooked. Wait or Buy Now? 500735

Wait or Buy Now? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wait or Buy Now?   Wait or Buy Now? EmptySun May 30, 2010 1:23 pm

If only I could get a test ride, I'd know....I can't find one to ride because none of the dealers around here keep them prepped....I just hate to spend that much money on something I haven't ridden, a bigger engine and I would not hesitate....
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

Wait or Buy Now? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wait or Buy Now?   Wait or Buy Now? EmptySun May 30, 2010 1:31 pm

Understandable. Most dealers have a 'Demo Days'; maybe you could find out if they, or another dealer that isn't too far out, are going to be holding one. Some dealers simply won't let you ride a new bike without a deposit... Wait or Buy Now? 724854

X-Racer

Wait or Buy Now? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wait or Buy Now?   Wait or Buy Now? EmptySun May 30, 2010 1:55 pm

Welcome Archie...

As far as depreciation/new model losses are concerned, buying used (if you can or choose) obviously mitigates some of that. The demand for dual sport bikes (new and/or new) is only going to increase as a result of land closures and accessibility.

As far as the bike's suitability for you, some of the recommendations may come from looking at your riding history (what you rode before), what riding you plan to do (single track/open country/adventure type), your riding competencies/skills.

Regardless of those factors, at the end of the day, a lighter, more nimble but fully capable bike that does what you want it to will certainly reduce any buyer's remorse.

As far as power is concerned, to me at least, it's only a matter of changing your riding style to compensate for a lack or abundance of having it. Having more is worthless if you can't use it. Discovering you don't have enough in the middle of an uphill sucks.

At over 200 lbs, I love the power of my big bores in the open, cross country riding we do most of the time (450 "X" Honda in the desert and KTM 640 dual sport). I like to the ability to loft the front end anytime, anywhere or simply steer with the throttle. That's just my riding style.

However the sheer fun and grin factor of the WR is overwhelming for most everything else. it simply takes slightly more planning in getting into the powerband when and where you want it.

I can predict that you won't look at the other two bikes you mentioned once you ride the WR. IMO it's got them both beat hands down in every way.

Where are you ? Maybe we can hook you up for a test ride. Wait or Buy Now? 942737
Back to top Go down
Archie

Wait or Buy Now? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wait or Buy Now?   Wait or Buy Now? EmptySun May 30, 2010 3:55 pm

I'm in the Dallas/Fort Worth Area... What you said about the bike quitting going up a hill is actually my biggest concern.....I had a CR125 (2 Stroke) that would do that if I wasn't far enough into the power band; and I couldn't really do that on every hill....nothing is as bad as being almost to the top and having the bike die!!
Back to top Go down
clint

Wait or Buy Now? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wait or Buy Now?   Wait or Buy Now? EmptySun May 30, 2010 5:12 pm

Archie wrote:
If only I could get a test ride, I'd know....I can't find one to ride because none of the dealers around here keep them prepped....I just hate to spend that much money on something I haven't ridden, a bigger engine and I would not hesitate....

you could put an ad on craigslist for your area asking someone in your area to let you test ride theirs...maybe invite them to go riding with your friend and you...
Back to top Go down
Midnite171

Midnite171

Wait or Buy Now? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wait or Buy Now?   Wait or Buy Now? EmptySun May 30, 2010 6:45 pm

I bought my WR about a month and a half ago. I was able to test ride the XR and I gotta tell you, it felt very big and heavy. That same day I rode the Honda CRF230L and it felt too much like a mini bike. Short and stalky. Didn't like either one. Although the XR WOULD be nice for a cross country or a desert adventure. My last 2 bikes were a CR250 and a YZ250, so I was looking for a more lighter, nimble bike and the XR and CRF weren't going to do it for me. My buddy has a DRZ400 that initially got my interested in getting a dual sport. I actually liked that bike. Plenty of power, comfortable and felt nice to ride. Nice low end and top end. The only thing I really didn't like was the weight. Seemed a little top heavy also. I dumped it once and it took all my strength to lift it upright. My choice came down to the Kawi KLX and the Yammi WR. I liked the fuel injection, the looks and everything on the WR just a little bit more than the Kawi. So I went with the WR and I have been totally satisfied with the weight, the low end and the top end. I probably would have went with a WR450R if they had one if there wasn't a significant amount of extra weight. Maybe in a couple years.
Back to top Go down
Ozy

Ozy

Wait or Buy Now? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wait or Buy Now?   Wait or Buy Now? EmptySun May 30, 2010 8:57 pm

I previously owned a Suzuki DR650 and I had the same concerns as you with the drop in power but the weight and feel of the WR have made up for that. In fact the WR will get me into (or out of) just as much trouble as the DR did in the power department on the trails and with 6th gear it cruises great on the blacktop Wait or Buy Now? 93746 .

I've only had my WR two weeks but have not regretted it for a minute and I didn't test ride one either, I just went off magazine reveiws, reading through all the posts on this site Wait or Buy Now? 640571 and others. Even though I found some negative reports, the positive ones far outweighed the negatives especially the ones which were along the lines of "my buddies bagged me out for getting the WR250R but once they rode it.............."

Good luck.
Back to top Go down
R_Lefebvre

Wait or Buy Now? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wait or Buy Now?   Wait or Buy Now? EmptyMon May 31, 2010 5:13 pm

I currently have a 2006 WR250F. At the time, I wanted a dual-sport bike that would be suitable for racing enduros and hare scrambles. So, I bought it, and street plated it. What I found was that, with the close ratio gearbox, it's just not suitable for street riding. It's all wound out at 60mph. I mean, it'll do 80mph and I've done it, but... at 13,500rpm... who's going to do that for any length of time? Actually the biggest problem I find is that with the ultra light flywheel, the chain drive chatters a lot even when trying to cruise gently at 40mph. And with the seat... it's just not practical. You CAN ride it on-road, but you don't really want to. On the other hand, racing off-road, it just can't compete with a lightweight 250 2-stroke. It's got a 50 lb handicap, and since they are requiring street plates less and less for enduro, it's just pointless owning a WR-F. I thought I was buying a "jack of all trades", but the "master of none" aspect is much stronger. I also found that, I don't think I'll ever be fast in competition, so I was paying for a bike I'm just not using enough.

When the 250R came out, I was curious, but assumed it was like all the other 250 true dual-sports in that it was underpowered, and undersprung. My local dealer had a demo day, so I dropped by. I was actually prejudiced against the bike, I expected to be underwhelmed.

When I first set off, the first thing that surprised me was how quick I banged into the rev limiter. It shuts down, just when my F was getting good. After getting through 2nd, I was completely disappointed in the power and the low rev limiter. Until I looked down at the speedo. Wow! I was doing 50mph already? (I think, can't remember the exact numbers). Throughout the ride, what I found was the bike had adequate power for what I wanted on the street, and was so smooth, you are surprised you are going much faster than you think you are. On my F, I'm constantly trying to shift to 6th gear, which it doesn't have. On the R, I was constantly assuming I was in 6th, but decided to check to be sure, and then find out I was only in 5th. The bike just loafs along at highway speeds in 6th gear. It is all I want out of a bike. The insurance is dirt cheap because the engine is small. But it is capable of highway travel, and it should still be fun on single-track, which can't be said for any 650.
So, I'm pick up a new 2009 WR-X this week! Wait or Buy Now? 525406

I plan to put some Shinko 705's on it, and use it as an adventure/commuter/trail ride bike. If I ever decide to try racing again, it'll be on a YZ125 or something.

So... I can't tell you you'll like the bike. All I can say is, find a way to testride one. It's the only way you'll know. I was very surprised by the bike.
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

Wait or Buy Now? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wait or Buy Now?   Wait or Buy Now? EmptyMon May 31, 2010 7:15 pm

Woo! Another rider joins the DS ranks! Wait or Buy Now? 61865 Wait or Buy Now? 525406

ZED

Wait or Buy Now? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wait or Buy Now?   Wait or Buy Now? EmptyTue Jun 01, 2010 1:23 am

I think most people would like to see a wr450x/r, put those that hold their breath are likely to pass out first.

The WR250X (and I expect the R as well) is the most fun you can have on a bike under 55mph. If you routinely want to go faster, then you'll likely be disappointed.

As for when to buy, I think this year is a good time. Dealers have lots of stock and lots of people are selling used items. It's a buyer's market. dunno Fall might be better, but you'd miss a season of riding. eeek
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

Wait or Buy Now? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wait or Buy Now?   Wait or Buy Now? EmptyTue Jun 01, 2010 10:54 am

ZED wrote:

The WR250X (and I expect the R as well) is the most fun you can have on a bike under 55mph. If you routinely want to go faster, then you'll

I agree it's hella fun PERIOD. As for routinely going faster, well...any time I go to town (in either direction) that puts me into that category. The bike doesn't bat an eye at the higher speeds and has plenty of power to pass highway runners. Wait or Buy Now? 525406

Wait or Buy Now? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wait or Buy Now?   Wait or Buy Now? EmptyTue Jun 01, 2010 3:01 pm

ZED wrote:
The WR250X (and I expect the R as well) is the most fun you can have on a bike under 55mph. If you routinely want to go faster, then you'll likely be disappointed.
Don't forget the option of owning multiple bikes. Duc ST3, or Strumpet 675, whatever floats your speedboat. Wait or Buy Now? 810411
Back to top Go down
ZED

ZED

Wait or Buy Now? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wait or Buy Now?   Wait or Buy Now? EmptyTue Jun 01, 2010 10:51 pm

SheWolf wrote:
I agree it's hella fun PERIOD. As for routinely going faster, well...any time I go to town (in either direction) that puts me into that category. The bike doesn't bat an eye at the higher speeds and has plenty of power to pass highway runners. Wait or Buy Now? 525406
We definitely need to go riding sometime. I think your wr must be waaay faster than mine. scratch

deerHater wrote:
Don't forget the option of owning multiple bikes. Duc ST3, or Strumpet 675, whatever floats your speedboat. Wait or Buy Now? 810411
Exactly Very happy (as per my signature that seems to be missing for whatever reason on this post scratch )
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

Wait or Buy Now? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wait or Buy Now?   Wait or Buy Now? EmptyTue Jun 01, 2010 11:36 pm

Oh man, yes we need to ride! Red still hasn't got his insured yet... Wait or Buy Now? 911463

What's with the sigs? Someone else had troubles with that; I think it was Rob. Wait or Buy Now? Icon_scratch

**Ok I see it...well, no I don't but I see what you mean.** Wait or Buy Now? 640571

D-Rail

Wait or Buy Now? Empty
PostSubject: Bikes are for dirt not coffee shops.   Wait or Buy Now? EmptyWed Jun 02, 2010 1:12 pm

Got the 2010 wr250r.Im 6,2 250lbs and wish I had this bike years ago.Ive had the Aprillia rxv 5.5 XL 350,650. Xt 600 and rode the Drs in all sizes.Ask yourself if you wanna ride or impress youre freinds?? There is a big difference?This bike is point and shoot,take it from me that has a value beyond huge in the smiles dept. Wait or Buy Now? 89954 Wait or Buy Now? 942737
Back to top Go down
R_Lefebvre

Wait or Buy Now? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wait or Buy Now?   Wait or Buy Now? EmptyWed Jun 02, 2010 4:43 pm

Should be picking up my X tomorrow. Don't wait man, there's some deals to be had on leftover X's! You can get an X and a set of extra wheels for the price of an 09 R!
Back to top Go down
Archie

Wait or Buy Now? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wait or Buy Now?   Wait or Buy Now? EmptyThu Jun 03, 2010 1:02 am

Thanks for all the replies. I got a test ride today on the WR250R. The bike handled awesome, in fact it seemed to handle as good as the last 2-Stroke CR I had. The only problem with it is the power. After years of only owning 2-strokes, and spending time riding my friends XR650L, it does seem very underpowered. At least now I know what it's like. I just have to decide if I like riding wheelies and taking off fast more than I like the ability to handle the bike in tight trails. I'm not sure.....I wish I could buy the 650 and the 250.....or better yet, why doesn't Yamaha just make a WR450R!!
Back to top Go down
njbill

njbill

Wait or Buy Now? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wait or Buy Now?   Wait or Buy Now? EmptyThu Jun 03, 2010 8:27 am

Was the bike uncorked or stock? There is a big difference. I uncorked mine and I can ride wheelies all day if I want.
Back to top Go down
Archie

Wait or Buy Now? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wait or Buy Now?   Wait or Buy Now? EmptyThu Jun 03, 2010 9:53 am

It was stock.....how do I uncork it?
Back to top Go down
Matty

Matty

Wait or Buy Now? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wait or Buy Now?   Wait or Buy Now? EmptyThu Jun 03, 2010 10:07 am

Archie wrote:
It was stock.....how do I uncork it?

Go here ~~~> http://www.wrrdualsport.com/ Then go to the Tech Guide section, and start removing everything!!!
Back to top Go down
Krabill

Wait or Buy Now? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wait or Buy Now?   Wait or Buy Now? EmptyThu Jun 03, 2010 10:23 am

Every little performance mod adds something to it, but the biggest bang for the buck is re-gearing, imo. A simple $20 swap to a 12T front will completely transform the bike.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Wait or Buy Now? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wait or Buy Now?   Wait or Buy Now? Empty

Back to top Go down

Wait or Buy Now?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next