Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

hit the ground hard

Go down 
+9
ZED
Tammy
rydnseek
Matty
SheWolf
X-Racer
deerHater
Mr.Metal
drater
13 posters
AuthorMessage
drater

drater

hit the ground hard Empty
PostSubject: hit the ground hard   hit the ground hard EmptySun May 30, 2010 1:03 pm

just got out of hospital which i was in there for five days. i went down hard and broke my ribs and collapsed my left lung, they put a half inch tube almost a foot long in my chest to take the air out of the plural space. ouch! the lung had to heal the hole before i could do anything. at home now and feel great but have to lay low for a bit. i have been sleeping sitting up and that is a trip. i hit a rock with the back tire, same old story what happens to all of us. the back in came around and try to correct and then losing the front end bam. landed in some rocks in between the padding and ouch. i had to ride out and that was really far, 25 miles or so. had to keep stopping to get my breath, could not sit and ride just had to stand and grip the bike with my legs. had to do a few hill climbs through some rocks and that was a test for my self. i got down to the house and got my gear off and jumped in my car and drove my self to the emergency room where i was greeted with come on in, i think they know me there. had a cat scan and x-rays and there it was, the lung was collapsed. the rib was broken in back and stressed in the front. im all good now just have to chill a bit. it was one of those days that we were asking our selfs, whats up with the dirt? are my tires to hard or is wind to much? the little voice was talking inside. you gotta listen to that little voice! cripple
Back to top Go down
Mr.Metal

Mr.Metal

PostSubject: Re: hit the ground hard   hit the ground hard EmptySun May 30, 2010 1:41 pm

Holy crap man, that's some scary stuff. Going down and getting that hurt on your own, far from home? My worst nightmare. Very happy to hear that you were tough enough to ride it out and get yourself to the hospital. Hope the recovery goes quickly and smoothly!
Back to top Go down
deerHater

PostSubject: Re: hit the ground hard   hit the ground hard EmptySun May 30, 2010 1:45 pm

Ouch! I could feel a bit of your pain reading about the ride-out.
Do NOT catch a cold, coughing or sneezing with those injuries will hurt.

I understand sleeping while sitting. After my first crash I was sleeping on a couch crosswise, nearly sitting up, using 5 pillows!
Back to top Go down
drater

drater

PostSubject: Re: hit the ground hard   hit the ground hard EmptySun May 30, 2010 8:18 pm

thanks guys! yeah part of the deal, yeah thats what they say is to watch out for a bit because a cold can turn ugly really quick. pillows have become my friend. it's great how we can support each other with words, it means alot to me and everyone else that has gone down or that is going to go down. we all know about it when we get on the bikes so when it happens it should not be a surprise. take a licken and keep on ticken. im looking forward to getting back out and shredding on WRR. lets all just keep supporting each other. Peace YAM
Back to top Go down
X-Racer

X-Racer

PostSubject: Re: hit the ground hard   hit the ground hard EmptySun May 30, 2010 10:32 pm

Drafter.... Oh boy. We call it "fun" right ? Yea... It may be fun until THAT happens !

You're blessed with internal fortitude. I remember a ten mile ride after a broken collarbone I will NEVER forget, and of course sleeping upright and trying not to sneeze.

I was fortunate enough for the remainder of my injuries to be on a track, or with nearby help.

I got off three weeks ago in a slow, but sudden stop get-off and only schmoshed my knee. Three weeks before that I fell over sitting still (call me dufus) and broke phalanges my hand that I'm stilll recovering from. I'm too old to fall off any more.

Hope your recovery is swift from here out and you get back on the horse soon !
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: hit the ground hard   hit the ground hard EmptySun May 30, 2010 10:55 pm

Whoa dude... hit the ground hard 640571 Glad you're still with us. That could have turned out a lot worse! That's kinda the chances we take when we ride alone; you never know when one of those rocks decides to come up and try to kiss your ass...that or a tree trying to tango with you. I found hot towels felt really good when I blew my lung. Take care of yourself my friend, speedy recovery and keep us posted on your progress! hit the ground hard 500735

Matty

PostSubject: Re: hit the ground hard   hit the ground hard EmptyMon May 31, 2010 9:24 am

ouch... heal up soon.
Back to top Go down
rydnseek

rydnseek

PostSubject: Re: hit the ground hard   hit the ground hard EmptyMon May 31, 2010 9:25 am

..glad you're ok.. scary stuff. And you had to ride out through pretty gnarly terrain just to get to the hospital. You're a tough guy, & used your head in a pretty serious situation. well done.

Try to keep it light & have fun during your recovery. Crashing sucks, but everyone who rides has one now & then. Hopefully as we age we crash less, since healing takes so much longer. That's one of the reasons i went with a lower wr.. for a lighter, easier to handle bike that will crash less!

Good luck with the recovery.
Back to top Go down
drater

drater

PostSubject: Re: hit the ground hard   hit the ground hard EmptyMon May 31, 2010 11:57 am

you guys are great!! good stories, took a walk yesterday on the beach, just a real short one and it felt good to open the lung up some more. the rib cage is sore today so time to chill. thanks guys so much. thumb
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: hit the ground hard   hit the ground hard EmptyMon May 31, 2010 7:33 pm

I'd send ya a bottle of my BC Ice Wine but I don't think it would make it.... hit the ground hard 723941

Tammy

PostSubject: Re: hit the ground hard   hit the ground hard EmptyMon May 31, 2010 8:07 pm

Thank God your ok... I don't think about it but if that was me I would die out there. I pop a lung and it's over for me....
Get that rear shock fixed....
Back to top Go down
X-Racer

X-Racer

PostSubject: Re: hit the ground hard   hit the ground hard EmptyMon May 31, 2010 9:53 pm

SheWolf: You better drink it. We don't want him to start break dancing too soon.

Drafter: At least you have some nice beaches to walk on ! They're therapeutic even when you don't hurt !
Back to top Go down
ZED

ZED

PostSubject: Re: hit the ground hard   hit the ground hard EmptyMon May 31, 2010 10:02 pm

Very Nasty! I've had cracked ribs and didn't like that. I can only imagine how well breathing doesn't go with a collapsed lung! eeek

I guess we take our chances for our fun but at least we're LIVING our lives.
Beats the alternatives.

Heal up and ride safe. thumb
Back to top Go down
Midnite171

Midnite171

PostSubject: Re: hit the ground hard   hit the ground hard EmptyMon May 31, 2010 10:19 pm

Speedee recovery to ya!!! Did you have a cell phone and did you think to call for help? Glad you made it out.

I remember once I took a bad spill on my CR only about 2 miles from my house. I broke my wrist and my rear sprocket. Had to push my bike 2 miles on the powerlines with a broken wrist. Not fun.
Back to top Go down
inspector

inspector

PostSubject: Re: hit the ground hard   hit the ground hard EmptyMon May 31, 2010 10:54 pm

WOW. Don't know what to say. That must have been an amazing ordeal and a test of strength/merit, (can't think of the word) Heal up man!

*what kind of gear? just curious as to what might have helped.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Fisherman

Mr. Fisherman

PostSubject: Re: hit the ground hard   hit the ground hard EmptyTue Jun 01, 2010 1:43 am

Hang in there. I am glad you were able to self rescue, but that sure could have gone South in a hurry... God Speed your recovery...
Back to top Go down
drater

drater

PostSubject: Re: hit the ground hard   hit the ground hard EmptyWed Jun 02, 2010 11:51 am

WOW. Don't know what to say. That must have been an amazing ordeal and a test of strength/merit, (can't think of the word) Heal up man!

*what kind of gear? just curious as to what might have helped.

i have acerbis pressure suit, and knee guards, pretty much fully covered with all acerbis gear. the only thing i wasn't wearing was my leatt neck brace because i had on my acerbis jacket on. i can see on the jacket were i hit the rock, i think the rock hit me, ha ha. im healing really fast and each day is closer to get back out there. i think the right gear is the most important thing about riding. i have TCX pro 2 boots and they have saved me time and time again.
i did have my cell and called a friend that was on his way out and he met me when i got to the pavement, thats when i opened her up and jammed. it was a challenge, but hey, i was a hot shot firefighter on the best crew in the nation so expect nothing less! that's way we roll in los padres, tough as nails.
Back to top Go down
drater

drater

PostSubject: Re: hit the ground hard   hit the ground hard EmptyWed Jun 02, 2010 1:16 pm

i really want to thank you guys for the support thumb you can check out, mx1west.com for your acerbis gear and they have it in canada to. it's all about the soul and passion. i back the gear fully and on the web site they have alot of links to other stuff. they have johnny campbell racing link on there, check it out 11 time baja 1000 winner. thanks guys so much! Very happy
Back to top Go down
inspector

inspector

PostSubject: Re: hit the ground hard   hit the ground hard EmptyWed Jun 02, 2010 2:11 pm

Thanks for the reply. Hopefully I'll have a flak jacket before next time I ride. I opted for the Rockgardn Flak Jacket, probably not as much protection as the Acerbis, but way better then what I have now.

*edited cause i actually ordered it today and changed brands for better coverage.
Back to top Go down
Chief_Lee_Visceral

PostSubject: Re: hit the ground hard   hit the ground hard EmptyThu Jun 03, 2010 5:19 am

Ain't healing boring? Doh deet doh... blah... blah... best wishes. Glad you are okay. doh deet doh!! Arrrgh!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: hit the ground hard   hit the ground hard Empty

Back to top Go down

hit the ground hard
Page 1 of 1