Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

I hate thieves

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Hertz

Hertz

I hate thieves  Empty
PostSubject: I hate thieves    I hate thieves  EmptyWed Jun 02, 2010 2:17 pm

I've been having problems with my fuel pump lately. However as I discovered this morning, I've got another issue. Some jackass decided to try using what looks like another key to steal my bike. Fortunately they didn't succeed. But now I'm left with this douche bags half a key in a bitched up ignition. On top of that it's in the locked position. I called the dealer and was quoted at around 350 for a new ignition and the labor to install it. GAHHHH. Fml

Last edited by Hertz on Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:09 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

I hate thieves  Empty
PostSubject: Re: I hate thieves    I hate thieves  EmptyWed Jun 02, 2010 3:21 pm

Holy shit.... I hate thieves  640571 Damn...Murphy's got you by the balls this week! Wonder how hard it would be to try installing that yourself...

drater

I hate thieves  Empty
PostSubject: Re: I hate thieves    I hate thieves  EmptyWed Jun 02, 2010 6:44 pm

that sucks! my body just got his ripped, i don't leave my bike anywhere and my friends look at me like im paranoid? i put mine in a shed in a yard and lock the shed, i know better. sorry to hear that.
Back to top Go down
Hertz

Hertz

I hate thieves  Empty
PostSubject: Re: I hate thieves    I hate thieves  EmptyWed Jun 02, 2010 7:50 pm

It turns out it was a flat head screwdriver. I was able to get the remains of it out but they did work on the tumblers and whatnot in there so the key takes some persuading to work. I think I'm just going to do the replacement myself. The hardest part will be those tamper proof bolts. Not too sure how to go about them quite yet. Any suggestions/comments/ideas are welcome.
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

I hate thieves  Empty
PostSubject: Re: I hate thieves    I hate thieves  EmptyWed Jun 02, 2010 11:28 pm

You can try dremeling slots into them...vice grips and a sturdy screw driver for stability. I hate thieves  29721

I hate thieves  Empty
PostSubject: Re: I hate thieves    I hate thieves  EmptyThu Jun 03, 2010 2:28 am

Yup, just like shewolf said.

I replaced my stock triple clamps with the fancy pants Zeta ones and had to switch my ignition over to the new set. So yeah, you'll need to get in there and slot the stud on the bottom and get a screw driver in there. Another idea would be to drill a shallow hole in the head of that bolt and use a screw extractor bit. It was a massive pain in the arse but definitely possible. If I knew what was in store for me with those tamper proof bolts I would have never bought the new triple clamps. Not something I'd ever want to do again...lol

But considering the dealer wants 350 for doing it, screw em and do it yourself...not worth that kind of money.
Back to top Go down
Dana44

I hate thieves  Empty
PostSubject: Re: I hate thieves    I hate thieves  EmptyFri Jun 11, 2010 4:07 pm

Never taken the ignition out of a WR but if it's a 3 wire you can buy a waterproof switch and key for a ski boat for around $50 at West marine Products and use that instead.
Put one in my KTM and it worked great.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

I hate thieves  Empty
PostSubject: Re: I hate thieves    I hate thieves  Empty

Back to top Go down

I hate thieves
Page 1 of 1