Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Hate to ask BUT???

Go down 
+2
rsteiger
r6realtor
6 posters
AuthorMessage
r6realtor

Hate to ask BUT??? Empty
PostSubject: Hate to ask BUT???   Hate to ask BUT??? EmptyFri May 10, 2013 11:40 pm

which numbers need to be adjusted on my fmf programmer???
ais removal, FMF programmer on STOCK settings with Delta full exhaust stock filter flap screwed down....a litte popping on decel but the issues is the exhaust smell i get covered in everytime I ride!!

I thought maybe it was my gas cap at first cause it always smells like gas is coming from it and my shirt kind of stunk in the front but both the back of my jacket and helmet stink for the most part very STRONG of exhaust.

you would think popping on decel it would be lean? but I reek of exhaust or gas smell bad!! so should I lean it out a bit bout just one number or all six or what? any recommendations? maybe a little boggy up top but anyways need some help![u]
Back to top Go down
rsteiger

rsteiger

Hate to ask BUT??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hate to ask BUT???   Hate to ask BUT??? EmptySat May 11, 2013 1:47 am

r6realtor wrote:
which numbers need to be adjusted on my fmf programmer???
ais removal, FMF programmer on STOCK settings with Delta full exhaust stock filter flap screwed down....a litte popping on decel but the issues is the exhaust smell i get covered in everytime I ride!!

I thought maybe it was my gas cap at first cause it always smells like gas is coming from it and my shirt kind of stunk in the front but both the back of my jacket and helmet stink for the most part very STRONG of exhaust.

you would think popping on decel it would be lean? but I reek of exhaust or gas smell bad!! so should I lean it out a bit bout just one number or all six or what? any recommendations? maybe a little boggy up top but anyways need some help![u]

Probably the only way to know for sure is to take it to a dyno shop and have them do a run for you. Probably looking at $50. For that you should get a HP/RPM plot and a A/F versus RPM plot and that should tell you if you are lean or rich and where you are lean and rich.
Back to top Go down
r6realtor

Hate to ask BUT??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hate to ask BUT???   Hate to ask BUT??? EmptySat May 11, 2013 5:14 am

For $50 I wouldn't mind but i honestly know of no one in the area that even does that without going hours away, wish there was someone semi close
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

Hate to ask BUT??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hate to ask BUT???   Hate to ask BUT??? EmptySat May 11, 2013 6:17 am

Honestly, I wouldn't make an adjustment based on my clothes smelling like exhaust fumes, and I noticed the same thing on my bikes (2008 WR-250R and 2008 WR-250X).

I think it's because the muffler is mounted high, and aftermarket mufflers that are styled like motocross mufflers point the exhaust gas slightly upward, not downward, where the aerodynamics of riding through the air will tend to move the exhaust gas toward your back.

If the bike runs fine on the supplied FMF settings, I'd leave it.
Back to top Go down
r6realtor

Hate to ask BUT??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hate to ask BUT???   Hate to ask BUT??? EmptySat May 11, 2013 8:45 am

YZEtc wrote:
Honestly, I wouldn't make an adjustment based on my clothes smelling like exhaust fumes, and I noticed the same thing on my bikes (2008 WR-250R and 2008 WR-250X).

I think it's because the muffler is mounted high, and aftermarket mufflers that are styled like motocross mufflers point the exhaust gas slightly upward, not downward, where the aerodynamics of riding through the air will tend to move the exhaust gas toward your back.

If the bike runs fine on the supplied FMF settings, I'd leave it.

very true, didnt really take that into consideration, to be honest I would rather not mess with the programming, but there is that slight pop on decel but that might also be a function of a bigger more open after market exhaust??? the popping actually only started to show itself once it got warmer here in FL. or I just didn't notice it???
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

Hate to ask BUT??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hate to ask BUT???   Hate to ask BUT??? EmptySat May 11, 2013 9:12 am

What numbers are you running now?

I had this same experience. Can't recall what I changed now, but I was able to reduce the smell by changing settings.

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
r6realtor

Hate to ask BUT??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hate to ask BUT???   Hate to ask BUT??? EmptySat May 11, 2013 9:16 am

motokid wrote:
What numbers are you running now?

I had this same experience. Can't recall what I changed now, but I was able to reduce the smell by changing settings.

whatever the stock settings are that come with the fmf????? so im not sure of the numbers themselves??? do you still get a bit of smell or did it drastically change? I mean as soon as I walk in the door my wife is wow thats a stong smell of gas!! Im like keep the candles away from me I might go up in flames!!
I was also thinking of opening up the air box door to see if that might lean it out a bit? or getting an extra door to put some holes in it for summer time and putting the orginal door back on in winter time
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

Hate to ask BUT??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hate to ask BUT???   Hate to ask BUT??? EmptySat May 11, 2013 9:58 am

Yeah - it was pretty bad. I use bike to commute to work a lot when weather permits and I hated that smell lingering on me at work.

You really need to dig into what numbers are currently set on programmer.

I think I dropped my first three numbers on my programmer by one digit each and it seemed to help a lot.

What are your mods? New exhaust, ais, flapper? Is that it?

Removing that airbox door would surely increase airflow and lean things out more. Plus, you'll feel and hear the increase in power.

However - you're opening the intake up for more dirt and dust if you're going off-road.

It'd be worth a quick check though. Easy enough to do.

If you smell that strongly of gas I'd give it a shot.

Look into your current programmer settings though. "Factory set from Fmf" is sort of a crap shoot.

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

Hate to ask BUT??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hate to ask BUT???   Hate to ask BUT??? EmptySat May 11, 2013 10:01 am

oh - and "boggy on top" might be your 5th setting number.

If it's set to anything lower than six - it induces a bog on many people's bikes.

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
r6realtor

Hate to ask BUT??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hate to ask BUT???   Hate to ask BUT??? EmptySat May 11, 2013 10:30 am

appreciate the advice! correct just ais, flapper and full exhaust.
I never go offroad so should be fine but if I find that removal of the door helps I may just order a spare to cut up and pre filter it or something. May even call dobeck on monday to see if they have any advice.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

Hate to ask BUT??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hate to ask BUT???   Hate to ask BUT??? EmptySat May 11, 2013 11:28 am

Just remove the airbox door and test it out first. For riding on the road, I've not used a door on airbox in years. Best performance mod ever. thumb

Pop off two little "clip-washers" on hinge pins and door will come right off.

Also - checking what numbers are set on your programmer shouldn't be a difficult task.

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
r6realtor

Hate to ask BUT??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hate to ask BUT???   Hate to ask BUT??? EmptySat May 11, 2013 11:54 am

Thank you sir, definitely appreciate it!!! what numbers do you run?
Back to top Go down
robby0304

Hate to ask BUT??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hate to ask BUT???   Hate to ask BUT??? EmptySat May 11, 2013 5:21 pm

Just did my mod 2 weeks ago in Yosh pipe (stock headers), airbox, ais and exup (retained the cables though). And I'm running this 3-3-.5-8-6-4. So far I have eliminated the strong odor. It's just me though.
Back to top Go down
r6realtor

Hate to ask BUT??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hate to ask BUT???   Hate to ask BUT??? EmptySat May 11, 2013 8:28 pm

I just did a couple of test with and without the air box door off,,wow is the door off loud!!! seems more responsive though, however there still is a gas smell on the back of my shirt when I came in the house, i think next week when i have more time i will just start to mess with the programmer.
Back to top Go down
r6realtor

Hate to ask BUT??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hate to ask BUT???   Hate to ask BUT??? EmptySat May 11, 2013 10:37 pm

Ok my fmf programmer came programmed at 3-2-1--8-4-4 I have never had any cutting out at all just exhaust smell to the max, Im almost afraid to screw with it just to get rid of the smell because it does run fine maybe a tiny bog at higher rpm but not to bad and when I mean bog just a little less responsive than in the lower rpms and gears.
Back to top Go down
r6realtor

Hate to ask BUT??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hate to ask BUT???   Hate to ask BUT??? EmptySat May 11, 2013 10:43 pm

actually that red or 3rd might be 0.5 because I think it was flashing pretty quick. I wonder if its my first number thats to high? or if its the 5th number thats too low?
Back to top Go down
dmmcd

dmmcd

Hate to ask BUT??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hate to ask BUT???   Hate to ask BUT??? EmptyMon May 13, 2013 9:06 am

I notice it is much more smelly in the winter on my bike. When it is cold the stock ECU makes it pretty rich. I run the first number pretty low (I think it is at 1.5 now) and my backpack still stinks, but it isn't as bad as it used to be when it was below freezing out. Maybe it is residual, also. Or maybe I am just used to the smell now...

I am thinking of trying a new plug. I have almost 5k on the bike, and the PO had the programmer set all funky and it ran like crap, so maybe the plug isn't as clean as it should be. My mods are in my sig.

Back to top Go down
r6realtor

Hate to ask BUT??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hate to ask BUT???   Hate to ask BUT??? EmptyMon May 13, 2013 9:44 am

If your running rich with a k&n and ultimate air box mod, then I'm definitely running rich with the stock filter and nothing but the flapper screwed down with my first number set on 3 maybe I will lower that a bit
Back to top Go down
r6realtor

Hate to ask BUT??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hate to ask BUT???   Hate to ask BUT??? EmptyTue May 14, 2013 12:34 am

ok dropped the first number down to 2 and the fifth number up to 5, sucker rips now big time!! huge difference and there is still a small smell but nothing like before, walked in the house and wife said nothing then asked her to get close and smell and it was still there but she even thought is was much better. so im now at 2-2-.0.5-8-5-4

This is what chris from dobeck recommended
It could be that your green maybe a little too rich. You can try move it back to 2 or do a test with the bike warmed up.

Once the bike is warmed up, gain access to your fuel controller. Now start the bike and a hold a high idle with the throttle around 1500-2000 rpms. Then hit the mode button until you get to the Green Mode. Lower the green LEDs all the way down. Then slowly start to raise them .5 at a time listening to the engine. You should hear the RPMs increase a little bit. After this the tone of the engine should change and start to miss or rpms lower. Once you hear this just decrease the LEDs back to the higher rpm.

If you don’t understand the test please feel free to give me a cal
l.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

Hate to ask BUT??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hate to ask BUT???   Hate to ask BUT??? EmptyTue May 14, 2013 5:33 am

r6realtor wrote:
sucker rips now big time!! huge difference and there is still a small smell but nothing like before, walked in the house and wife said nothing then asked her to get close and smell and it was still there but she even thought is was much better.

NICE!!!

thumb

"hey honey - smell this" lol!

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
r6realtor

Hate to ask BUT??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hate to ask BUT???   Hate to ask BUT??? EmptyTue May 14, 2013 5:53 am

Lol, I get the roll of the eyes everytime I ask..hey would you come smell me real quick
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Hate to ask BUT??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hate to ask BUT???   Hate to ask BUT??? Empty

Back to top Go down

Hate to ask BUT???
Page 1 of 1