Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Balancing DOT knobbies with rim locks

Go down 
+8
john92
duanew
SpiritWolf15
Chief_Lee_Visceral
Mr.Metal
hughtwg
SheWolf
njbill
12 posters
AuthorMessage
njbill

njbill

Balancing DOT knobbies with rim locks Empty
PostSubject: Balancing DOT knobbies with rim locks   Balancing DOT knobbies with rim locks EmptyTue Jun 15, 2010 8:41 pm

I did a lot of HP mods to my bike and I am installing Kenda Trakmasters. My riding is 90% deep sand so I run low pressure in both tires. I weighed the rear rim lock and it is 5.5 ounces. Occasionally, I will air-up and ride the roads home so I think balancing will be an issue. I am looking for balancing suggestions.

Thanks, Bill!
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Balancing DOT knobbies with rim locks   Balancing DOT knobbies with rim locks EmptyTue Jun 15, 2010 9:07 pm

I've never balanced my wheels up until the last set of rubber I put on, and that was just to see what it was like. I've heard that balancing rims with rimlocks can be a PITA; you have to use a fair bit to equal the locks out.

PostSubject: Re: Balancing DOT knobbies with rim locks   Balancing DOT knobbies with rim locks EmptyTue Jun 15, 2010 9:44 pm

njbill wrote:
I did a lot of HP mods to my bike and I am installing Kenda Trakmasters. My riding is 90% deep sand so I run low pressure in both tires. I weighed the rear rim lock and it is 5.5 ounces. Occasionally, I will air-up and ride the roads home so I think balancing will be an issue. I am looking for balancing suggestions.

Thanks, Bill!

I ran into this with my Tubliss system. I ended up putting the weights inside the wheel under the tube as 5 oz is a lot of weight to hang off the spokes.

Supposedly you can get thin lead sheets that adhere to the inside of the tire opposite the lock. I just heard about this this weekend and haven't looked into it yet.

With the rimlocks in my tubliss tires the unbalance became very noticeable at speeds as low as 40mph.
Back to top Go down
Mr.Metal

Mr.Metal

PostSubject: Re: Balancing DOT knobbies with rim locks   Balancing DOT knobbies with rim locks EmptyWed Jun 16, 2010 12:04 am

I was going to ask a very similar question, so I'll piggy back on this one. Are most of you guys NOT balancing the tires you mount yourselves, such as the very popular 606s? I know the stock setup doesn't have a wheel lock, but I was planning on going with the nice Motion Pro light weight wheel lock and some heavy tubes. With that setup, doesn't the wheel need to be balanced if the bike is to be ridden at highway speeds? Balancing DOT knobbies with rim locks 29721
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Balancing DOT knobbies with rim locks   Balancing DOT knobbies with rim locks EmptyWed Jun 16, 2010 12:13 am

I ran the 606's without balancing and they were fine, mind you I didn't have rim locks. Still debating whether or not to get some. lurk

PostSubject: Re: Balancing DOT knobbies with rim locks   Balancing DOT knobbies with rim locks EmptyWed Jun 16, 2010 11:22 am

So you are not running the dynabeads anymore Shewolf? I am not sure if my dynabeads are working or not with my MotionPro rimlocks. I need to get someone to ride my bike at speed for me and drive behind so I can watch it.
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Balancing DOT knobbies with rim locks   Balancing DOT knobbies with rim locks EmptyWed Jun 16, 2010 1:35 pm

Oh I still have the dynabeads in these tires, just haven't got rimlocks. One day I might get them. dunno

SpiritWolf15

PostSubject: Re: Balancing DOT knobbies with rim locks   Balancing DOT knobbies with rim locks EmptyWed Jun 16, 2010 4:49 pm

I run rim locks on my XT, not that I air down my tires very often, it's just nice to have them as an insurance measure.

to counter balance them I when over to Lordco and picked up 4 foot long sticks of 1/4 and 1/2 stick on weights. TO balance I disconnected the brake lines, simply wrapped a rope around my frame and used a come-a-long through one of my garage rafters and winched the bike up. Took all of... an hour? To do everything.
Back to top Go down
duanew

PostSubject: Re: Balancing DOT knobbies with rim locks   Balancing DOT knobbies with rim locks EmptyWed Jun 16, 2010 8:43 pm

I balance all of my tires on my motorcycles. I hate vibration and will do anything to minimize it.

I do not use rim locks because I can't take my pressures down that low. Alot of where I ride has rocks so I must keep the pressures up.
Back to top Go down
njbill

njbill

PostSubject: Re: Balancing DOT knobbies with rim locks   Balancing DOT knobbies with rim locks EmptyWed Jun 16, 2010 10:30 pm

If I did not to ride low pressures (deep sand), I would not bother with rim locks.

duanew wrote:
I balance all of my tires on my motorcycles. I hate vibration and will do anything to minimize it.

I do not use rim locks because I can't take my pressures down that low. Alot of where I ride has rocks so I must keep the pressures up.
Back to top Go down
john92

PostSubject: Re: Balancing DOT knobbies with rim locks   Balancing DOT knobbies with rim locks EmptyWed Jun 16, 2010 11:51 pm

I run kenda 760s with rimlocks and they haven't been balanced. I don't run highway speeds but on normal roads they're fine. If I feel the need for speed and corner railing I'll throw on the X wheel set Balancing DOT knobbies with rim locks 810411 . I'm from South Jersey also but don't run into too much super soft sand down here. Are you up in the area where that dual-sport ride was last weekend? (SJER enduro club hosted it) There's some seriously soft sand up that way. It was a good time though.
Back to top Go down
ZED

ZED

PostSubject: Re: Balancing DOT knobbies with rim locks   Balancing DOT knobbies with rim locks EmptyThu Jun 17, 2010 12:32 am

We balance the tires for all 7 of our motorcycles with a balancer from MarcParnes including the WR and my wife's XT225. You need a fairly low friction balancer to do a reasonable job. MC wheels tend to have too much friction for a propper job. Even my setup pales by comparison to a 'proper' balancing stand.

We don't run low pressures, so don't bother hassling with rim locks, but the method would be the same. We use the stick on lead rim weights. The spoke weights are a PITA and don't wok on the sport bike alloy wheels. For a 5oz rim lock it would take 20 of the 1/4oz weights just to balance that, plus possibly more.
Back to top Go down
R_Lefebvre

PostSubject: Re: Balancing DOT knobbies with rim locks   Balancing DOT knobbies with rim locks EmptyThu Jun 17, 2010 5:03 pm

Or just do like my 2006 WR-F did. Use 2 rim locks! Made mounting tires just THAT much more fun! Balancing DOT knobbies with rim locks 490865
Back to top Go down
matttys

matttys

PostSubject: Re: Balancing DOT knobbies with rim locks   Balancing DOT knobbies with rim locks EmptySun Jun 20, 2010 8:55 am

I have 606's and rim locks and I balance my tires. Does add a little more rotating mass, but when you drop down to 10psi or so the locks are great to have. I use a HF tire changer with Mojo bar and some sort of balancer with ball bearings on it (forget the name).

If you are concerned about running a rim lock and no having the tire balanced, you could always run 2 rear rim locks Balancing DOT knobbies with rim locks 810411
Back to top Go down
njbill

njbill

PostSubject: Re: Balancing DOT knobbies with rim locks   Balancing DOT knobbies with rim locks EmptySun Jun 20, 2010 12:35 pm

Yesterday, I took my first ride with the new knobbies and rim locks. We did a section of asphalt and I did feel the effect of the rim locks above about 35 or 40 mph. Since I have a new 12T front sprocket, those mph numbers might be off a little. I think I am going to get some weights and try to even the balance.
Back to top Go down
clint

PostSubject: Re: Balancing DOT knobbies with rim locks   Balancing DOT knobbies with rim locks EmptySun Jun 20, 2010 2:16 pm

This whole issue is just one of the reasons why I leave it to the shop to mount the tires. If it needs balanced, they do it for me and I don't have to spend the time or find space to keep a wheel balancing stand to do it myself. At $20 a pop it's not that expensive and, now that I have dirt wheels and street wheels, the amount of times I need a change/balance performed is minimal. Balancing DOT knobbies with rim locks 525406
Back to top Go down
R_Lefebvre

PostSubject: Re: Balancing DOT knobbies with rim locks   Balancing DOT knobbies with rim locks EmptyMon Jun 21, 2010 10:54 am

Yeah, there's that option, but I like to be able to change my own tires so if I have to do it on the trail because of a flat, I can.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Balancing DOT knobbies with rim locks   Balancing DOT knobbies with rim locks Empty

Back to top Go down

Balancing DOT knobbies with rim locks
Page 1 of 1