Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Rim Locks

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
macfast

macfast

Rim Locks Empty
PostSubject: Rim Locks   Rim Locks EmptyFri Apr 03, 2009 8:19 pm

Rim Lock keep the tire from slipping on the rim damaging the valve stem when you run low tire pressure . Rim locks also provent the tire from coming off the rim if you do get a flat so you might ride out on the tire and not the rim .
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

Rim Locks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rim Locks   Rim Locks EmptyFri Apr 03, 2009 9:30 pm

Never ran rim locks on my dirtbikes. I haven't spun a tire on the rim yet, but there's always a first time I guess. wink When and if I do will be the day I end up getting them.

SpiritWolf15

Rim Locks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rim Locks   Rim Locks EmptyFri Apr 03, 2009 9:37 pm

macfast wrote:
Rim Lock keep the tire from slipping on the rim damaging the valve stem when you run low tire pressure . Rim locks also provent the tire from coming off the rim if you do get a flat so you might ride out on the tire and not the rim .

I have some on my XT350, haven't "needed" them yet but yeah it's a personal preference thing, they will keep the tire on in a blow out, you'll have to seriously balance the rims afterwards though, the dealerships and bike shops are idiots if they say they don't need to be balanced.
Back to top Go down
macfast

macfast

Rim Locks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rim Locks   Rim Locks EmptySat Apr 04, 2009 12:24 am

I run 8 to 12 lbs pressure off road with out rim locks i would not be happy
Back to top Go down
Addicted

Rim Locks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rim Locks   Rim Locks EmptySat Apr 04, 2009 8:19 am

I put two rim locks on the back wheel of my WR. Two is overkill, but it made balancing easy.

I run 12-15 psi to help with traction in some gnarly rocky hill climbs. With high traction in low gear, it's easy to spin a tire, rip your stem off, and ruin your day.

I used to run around 18 psi, and never had any problems. I started running lower pressures last summer, and I spun off three stems on the back of my KLX250 last summer. I never got around to ordering rim locks for the KLX, but I did for the WR.

I've never seen a need for a front rim lock, but I know a lot of bikes have them.
Back to top Go down
macfast

macfast

Rim Locks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rim Locks   Rim Locks EmptySat Apr 04, 2009 8:23 am

If you get a flat on the front tire may wish you had a rim lock .
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Rim Locks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rim Locks   Rim Locks Empty

Back to top Go down

Rim Locks
Page 1 of 1